Social Deviation

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that tank/top-bar profile is Sick!

Finally got to do some work on the bike. Set up the chain and got a chain guard on but more important was starting the foot shifter.
Thanks to every one for their suggestions from the bike talk setion. Because of it I am heading in this direction with the shifter.
footshifter1.jpg

I am going to try and see if I can make it work and still keep my foot on the pedal. If not I may try the foot peg suggestion.
Here is a overhead shot of it's location on the bike. I will try and rig it up for now to allow me some test rides before finally locking it in place.
I think a couple of screws through the braket and into the frame will work for now. May end up welding the braket to the frame for real stability??
footshifteroverhead.jpg

Any comments or ideas is always appreciated.

Took a quick spin today to fine tune the placement of the shifter and found out the steering is way harder then I knew it would be. To much curve in the fork I guess. I do not mind a little imperfection in my builds but I do like then to be rideable.
Any one have ideas to help improve this? Might have to redesign the fork.

FINALLY found time to work on the bike.
Here is a rough in of my solution for the steering.
forkredesign1.jpg

Abandoned the foot shifter idea for now since I have been so short of spare time to do anything on the bike.
Came up with this idea. Has a rat feel and should work okay even though I have to cross the cable over to the other side of the bike.
newshifter2.jpg

newshifter.jpg

Next I need to do some sort of bracket for the front spring to attach it to the top of the fork.

Re: Social Deviation update

Day one of my 2 day self proclaimed 4th of July me holiday. Been doing alot for others so now it is time for a little bike work.
Finished the redesign on the front fork and decided to go with a fun head badge instead of the light. Will save it for another build.
Also wanted to carry the wing nut theme up front so incorporated them into the new fork.
Since i was not using a front light wanted to keep the back end wireless so dug into my weird parts box and font this bracket. Not sure what it is.
Here are some detail shots and acouple of over all shots. Need to get the leather mounted on the seat and thinking of creating grips by wrapping the bars with black cloth tape similiar to the old motorcycles.
Trying to decide if outside of running cables and paint if it is finished. The original intend was to have a "design as I go along" project with an industrial feel.
Any thoughts on other additions to it?
forkdetail.jpg

Headbadge.jpg

Rearreflector.jpg

frontview.jpg

rearview.jpg

So many cool, unique details. Nice work.
Only thing I might consider is doing something to the handlebars. They just seem to plain or stock compared to the rest of the bike. First I was thinking new handlebars like apes but these fit well. Their just not as wild as everything else. Maybe your grips idea will be enough.

Locojoe,
I thought something similar. The bars are comfortable as they are now but do lack something. Tried a small pair of ape hangers I have in stock. Not working.
Maybe I will work more on that tomorrow. Thanks for the input.

I hate it when some one points out something I already know but was trying to ignore.
But all it took was the push from Locojoe to get me rethinking the handlebars.
Here is what I came up with.
handlebars2.jpg

handlebars.jpg

Just a simple flat curve back like some of the old cycles then some industrial texture with the turnbuckle,hex bolt end caps and rough welds.
Once they are painted I will be creating grips with some black cloth tape like they use on hockey sticks.

Next i want to extend the chain guard back a little then maybe doing a faux oil tank mounted between the seat tube and the fender??? This could give me more space for graphics.
Happy for any input.

Very cool bike I like the industrial look it has.I love the head badge did you make it?The new bars fit the bike great! 8)

FatBoy said:
Very cool bike I like the industrial look it has.I love the head badge did you make it?
Headbadge.jpg

I made the head badge from an old toy and some cheap brass plates some one gave me years ago. Not even sure what it is but thought the shape was nice.

g-ratter said:
FatBoy said:
Very cool bike I like the industrial look it has.I love the head badge did you make it?
Headbadge.jpg

I made the head badge from an old toy and some cheap brass plates some one gave me years ago. Not even sure what it is but thought the shape was nice.

thats lil guy is crash banditcoot he from an old school video game.. i have to say this is an amazing bike you have here.. and as far as the oil can idea between the seat/fender is what i was thinking it needed it CAN also double as storage for something tools patches or what ever...just my .02 cents but this thing is just amazing as is i just hope my build looks as cool as this some day .. or when i start a build.. keep it up i love it :mrgreen:
jay

Here is the oil tank sample I was thinking about. Photo shopped in the graphics I will be using on the tank to help give an idea of final look. Still needs painting.
IMG_3836.jpg

Mock up with:
oiltank.jpg

With out:
notank.jpg

Any opinions?
You can also see I have extended the chain guard to give a little better line to the bike.

The more I look at it I think no oil tank is best. I like the more open feel to the frame without it. Gives it a little more of a stretch to it and keeps some emphasis onthe fender.
Maybe it is time for paint :?

I liked your head badge so much I made my own version on my Big Daddy Scooter.Thanks for the inspiration! 8)

Latest posts

Back