SoCal Speedster **New Stem*** 5/25/11

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SoCal Speedster Mini Update 5/9/11

A simple flat aluminum plate tank would look cool.....the super light weight racer look :D

A simple flat aluminum plate tank would look cool.....the super light weight racer look

Thats plan B, Ive been thinking a lot about it lately. I think I have formulated a plan. I have no Idea if it will work but the journey is whats fun. Ill keep you guys updated. Time to hit home depot tomorrow.

good luck u got mad skillzzzzzz

Awesome build buddy! I'm loving it already. How about doing 2 flat panels for the tank side by side with louvers on them so both sets of louvers will be facing outward and give the illusion of a 1 piece tank? The louver guy has to be good though or they won't match up on both sides! :lol: It will kind of look like a louvered hood on both sides of the bike. Wait....why am I telling you this, I should have done this on my own build! Darn beer making me blab out good ideas!!! :shock:

Dang slick thats a great idea. hmm maybe that needs to be my new plan A. I guess I need to look for a louver guy.

Ask Joe or Rob at so-cal. They probably have a louver machine right there in the workshop. If not they know someone who does. I'm good friends with Joe. Tell him Slick sent you over there.

skillsthebarber said:
I have been thinking a lot about what I want to do for the build off. I love hot rods, especially satin paint pinstriped ones, but I have seen a ton of bikes done this way. So I am going a different route. I am going to do a SoCal speed shop themed bike. I want it to look like the the 32 ford they did
1z4zom1.jpg

and the belly racer they did.
vfdopt.jpg

I want it to look like its fast even when its still. I want to use more modern technology to make it go faster then Schwinn ever could in 1960. I want it to pedal smoother and turn better then Schwinn could have in 1960. I am starting off with my 1960 Schwinn Tornado.
2egejrp.jpg

I striped everything off of it and added the rack to continue the lines of the double straight bars.
2qa8sq9.jpg

I am going to use a set of 700c wheels that I got from forum member cobrafreak
2rqc36c.jpg

I got an adapter to go from an american BB to english BB. they are sealed and should pedal really smooth. I was surprised at how easily the adapter went in, I'm not used to using new parts :)
6dyarq.jpg

Here are some parts I have collected that I plan to use on this build
2s9pvlc.jpg

The clearance of the 700c wheel should be fine on this bike
2j1nf2e.jpg

well thats all for today, my baby is due in 2 weeks so hopefully i can get more done before he gets here.
thanks for looking and good luck everyone

i still remember when i saw the so cal belly tank car up close for the first time it gave me goose bumps. the wheels are huge like 22 inches and i think it used some sort of air plane tire. as the story goes it was found a few years ago in a guys barn hanging in the rafters. he was going to convert it to run a sbc and run it but the guy who found it (sorry cant remember his name i am sure slick knows) convinced him not to and the car was saved and restored.

here is my professional handle bar paint set up :) they are in primer in this pic
riddo8.jpg

here is the seat im going to be using. It kinda looks like a hot rod interior to me a little bit. These seats are pretty heavy. im curious to see how comfy it is.
2niadyu.jpg

34yvgo9.jpg

Re: SoCal Speedster Mini Update 5/14/11

What's that icky brown stuff on the springs? :mrgreen:

That seat looks great. Great variation on the vintage ones. You don't see this one too often and it has indeed a definate hotrod flavor. Makes me wonder if you're going to paint your bike 'piss-yella' ;-)

SoCal Speedster Mini Update 5/14/11

Here are sone freshly painted white parts. I really like how that appliance paint goes on. I also got some new red pedals

a6cd8945-209f-cc86.jpg

Wow, I like what I am seeing. So Cal Speed Shop has some of the most awesome Hot Rods. I love the Red & White 32 HighBoy Roadster. I cannot wait to see you finish.

well the fork is done, I was going to origionally get it powdercoated until I found out that it was against the rules. So I spent a lot of time striping all the paint, and wire wheeling all the suspension parts. I used the white appliance spray paint and am pleased with the results. It looks more like powder then normal rattle can paint. I used the little so-cal badge I had. I bent it so it fit the fork crown, then I painted it. I was going for the whole white look and I think it came out cool looking. I think I need to paint the hardware white, it kinda sticks out like a sore thumb.

IMG_1505 by Papas & Nic, on Flickr

IMG_1509 by Papas & Nic, on Flickr

IMG_1508 by Papas & Nic, on Flickr

IMG_1507 by Papas & Nic, on Flickr

Re: SoCal Speedster Stick a fork in it 5/16/11

Nice 8) Diggin' the So-Cal :mrgreen:

Re: SoCal Speedster Stick a fork in it 5/16/11

Lovin' the fork and the badge! Great colors, you couldn't have come up with a cleaner, more "right" look!

Great work and best of luck!

--Rob

Back