SoCal Speedster **New Stem*** 5/25/11

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been thinking a lot about what I want to do for the build off. I love hot rods, especially satin paint pinstriped ones, but I have seen a ton of bikes done this way. So I am going a different route. I am going to do a SoCal speed shop themed bike. I want it to look like the the 32 ford they did
1z4zom1.jpg

and the belly racer they did.
vfdopt.jpg

I want it to look like its fast even when its still. I want to use more modern technology to make it go faster then Schwinn ever could in 1960. I want it to pedal smoother and turn better then Schwinn could have in 1960. I am starting off with my 1960 Schwinn Tornado.
2egejrp.jpg

I striped everything off of it and added the rack to continue the lines of the double straight bars.
2qa8sq9.jpg

I am going to use a set of 700c wheels that I got from forum member cobrafreak
2rqc36c.jpg

I got an adapter to go from an american BB to english BB. they are sealed and should pedal really smooth. I was surprised at how easily the adapter went in, I'm not used to using new parts :)
6dyarq.jpg

Here are some parts I have collected that I plan to use on this build
2s9pvlc.jpg

The clearance of the 700c wheel should be fine on this bike
2j1nf2e.jpg

well thats all for today, my baby is due in 2 weeks so hopefully i can get more done before he gets here.
thanks for looking and good luck everyone

Re: SoCal Speedster

LOVE the patina on the forks - you need to paint / distress the frame to match those :D

LOVE the patina on the forks - you need to paint / distress the frame to match those

unfortunately they will be getting a fresh coat of paint when all is said and done.

I had some time before dinner so I did a mock up. unfortunately the bars I have been saving for this build diddnt look good so I grabbed a set from the shed and put them on. I think they look good on there.(I guess my wife's bike is going to need some new bars :) I had to let the air out of the rear tire to fit it in the frame because of the vertical dropouts. Once it was in there I pumped it up and it fit just fine. The Rack legs will have to be lengthened somehow because it rubbed against the rear tire.
29qgznr.jpg

skillsthebarber said:
Rack legs will have to be lengthened somehow because it rubbed against the rear tire.
29qgznr.jpg
Cool lookin' bike . . . I dig the concept! 8)
You had better take care of Mama . . . swipin' parts off her bike while she's not looking . . . sheesh! :p
On yer rack, how 'bout cutting a hole in the top so you can lower it to better match the center bars? You could cut a little hunk off of a scrap fender to weld over the hole in the top of the rack . . . KUSTOM!

Fireproof said:
...On yer rack, how 'bout cutting a hole in the top so you can lower it to better match the center bars? You could cut a little hunk off of a scrap fender to weld over the hole in the top of the rack . . . KUSTOM!

YEAH! Just like the Rustrocket, Auctionrat no.1 you could even make the rack struts shorter to level it with the horizontal frametube. Or try to mount something between the frame and the rack. That could make it line up also. A nice rake in the rack would be equally cool btw...
:wink:

I like your inspiration.
Good luck and have fun!
8)

Re: SoCal Speedster Update(Mock up)

That is actually a great idea, and i have the perfect fender to cut up for the job. I'm new to welding and im not that great, but im not half bad at grinding and filing :)

good luck buddy with the build. oh and your comment on grinding and filing. the dude who taught me how to weld said "dont always be worried about what it looks like i know a good angle grinder :D

skillsthebarber said:
I'm new to welding and im not that great, but im not half bad at grinding and filing :)
Like Karfer said, once you have the grinding down, yer there!
Try this . . . cut the piece out of the fender oversized, way oversized. Then weld it back on to the fender! You'll get some pratice welding the exact material that you'll be using on the rack. If you burn through during pratice, no biggie. After you can weld the fender back together, cut the piece off again and repeat if necessary until you feel that you can do the rack. I'm sure that an hour or two messing around like that will do wonders fer yer welding abilites. If you need help, there's several of us guys around here that can help ya out.
BTW, I've been using MIG, how 'bout you?

This will be a cool build. I'm a fan of So-Cal Speed Shop! Skills, you have a head start since the frame is already red!! I also really like the three piece bottom bracket you have there. I've been wanting to do that to an old frame for a long time. Glad to know it went together smooth!

^^and +1 on the cutting a hole in the rack and shortening the braces to make it level with the straight bar. Thats the first thing I thought of when I saw it.... then I scrolled down and somebody had posted the suggestion. Good luck with the build!

skillsthebarber said:

Thanks for the kind words guys. Luckly for me there is a SoCal Speed shop here in Sacramento. I picked up a couple goodies. Not sure where they will end up on the build but they look cool
167rryg.jpg

I found this at a thrift store. I think it has potential.
15gp187.jpg

instead of throwing away the card the badges are wraped to, stick 'em in your spokes. :wink:

Well, mock up is the easy part, now im into fabrication, and detail stuff. Ive been fooling around with the rear rack idea and have not come up with anything I like yet. One of the details I really like about the Belly Tank racer is the firestone tires. Well Firestone does not make 700c tires, Im pretty sure they dont make any bike tires anymore. So Here is me figuring out spacing. I plan on making a stencil and spray painting the firestone logo on the tires.
15nmyhu.jpg

Here is a Photoshop version of what I want it to look like
2zdn01u.jpg

I want to make some sort of tank for the bike so here is the template. Im not sure how I am going to make the tank yet but you have to start somewhere.
b5qqe1.jpg

Originally I was going to have my forks powdercoated but I found out that its against the rules. So I striped the forks of paint to get ready to spray them with some primer. I think im going to try out that appliance paint for the forks.

I had to order a headset and im waiting on that to come in. after the forks are done its time to work on the lighting :)

Re: SoCal Speedster Mini Update 5/9/11

good job on the tire lettering, other than you spelled it wrong.

haha, made you look! :mrgreen: sorry, i couldnt help myself. i'll grow up now. :oops: seriously, it does look great!

Back