Schwinn Drop Out - Finished, just need to take some pics.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tank work looks good!

I am a little worried by your rear triangle design, looks like it could sag if it hit a big bump as it is not actually a triangle but has 4 sides. Depends on what you weigh and how you ride it though!

Either rotating the chainstays up until they are straight to the rear drops or adding braces from the seat clamp area down to the bends in the chain stays would solve the issue, if it is one.

Just trying to help...

Luke.
Well, I rode it for a month or so, rolling it off a few curbs and over potholes and speed-bumps with my 220 pound butt planted on the laid-back seat. Haven't had any worries about creaking, flex or bends yet. The bent extensions are thick-wall 1/2" tubing and those delicate looking uppers are solid 3/8" rod. The seat stays are under compression, and are straight runs with no bends, so there's little chance of them deflecting. One of the design concepts behind this bike from day one was that it should look like there's barely enough frame present to hold the bike together, so it sounds like I've done my job.

Well, I rode it for a month or so, rolling it off a few curbs and over potholes and speed-bumps with my 220 pound butt planted on the laid-back seat. Haven't had any worries about creaking, flex or bends yet. The bent extensions are thick-wall 1/2" tubing and those delicate looking uppers are solid 3/8" rod. The seat stays are under compression, and are straight runs with no bends, so there's little chance of them deflecting. One of the design concepts behind this bike from day one was that it should look like there's barely enough frame present to hold the bike together, so it sounds like I've done my job.
:thumbsup:

Luke.

Did a little paint test today, and accented my new crank arms at the same time.
3ce5085bbc6de4cb5b97c589b916f7b0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

No pic today, but I did find an old MTB V-brake booster/bridge that looks like it'll make a great (sturdy) headlight mount with some careful trimming.

Well, you guys will probably only get one more in-progress post from me while I paint it this weekend, unless I can manage to snap some pics during re-assembly next week. Most of the entrants have over two weeks left to finish, but my deadline is next Sunday morning for Shiny Side Up. :43:

Good luck man!! Get some pics of Firewing for me.

Well, life intervened and my buddy that was going to tune up my bodywork for me spent most of the week attending his daughter at the hospital instead. So I spent most of today making everything glassy, and hope to paint tomorrow.

If anybody is questioning why I abandoned the patterns, it basically came down to weighing risk versus reward.
I just had too much time and work to lose if something went wrong with the masking tape pulling up layers or bleeding. I really didn't have any time to fix things, had anything gone wrong.
Now that it's complete, I am very happy with my choice.

Why i stopped recieving alerts for this awesome build ?:39:

Wicked paint job!:rockout: the crank and the tank looks fabulous! :41:

Awesome paint!
Sick frame!

tumblr_liiryvS4bp1qzactqo1_500.jpg

Back