Schwinn Drop Out - Finished, just need to take some pics.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One last modification before I tear it down. Two Soma quills make for stylish drag bike clip-ons.
48d530a5695f6905d9ba7ebf64d4fe8a.jpg
d2cf51e5b439127cebb960d9736e2554.jpg
5fbe6e51fd10c752c793be4980a6b044.jpg

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

L-O-V-E this!! Very creative, Sir Gow!!!

Another stellar idea execution that I'll have to stash in the vault for a future build!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The quills are over the top. Perfect execution, not to mention the gorgeous frame mods. Super nice ride.

furyus

Thanks, guys! Finally got around to stripping it down for paint/finish today.
Was too hot do do it in the garage, so the dining room got the nod. Maybe some primer pics by next weekend?

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Got my clip ons from the east this weekend, had to do major mods, even though they were supposed to come w/appropriate shims, didn't. And comparing them to yours...
20160620_190837.jpg

... I am sooooo disappointed. Granted I haven't trimmed the fork or bars or done anything other than envy your build.;)
I think you may have set the bar... for anyone looking to use clip ons on a bike, ever again. Great job making us all feel inferior, lol.

Got my clip ons from the east this weekend, had to do major mods, even though they were supposed to come w/appropriate shims, didn't. And comparing them to yours...
... I am sooooo disappointed. Granted I haven't trimmed the fork or bars or done anything other than envy your build.;)
I think you may have set the bar... for anyone looking to use clip ons on a bike, ever again. Great job making us all feel inferior, lol.
I don't know about all of that. Yours could work out well with a few tweaks. They definitely have a monolithic appearance to them.

I don't know about all of that. Yours could work out well with a few tweaks. They definitely have a monolithic appearance to them.
Thanks, but your's look like a super wicked stingray or something, take the compliment and run. I can't wait to see this one w/paint, this is one of the most outside the box builds I've seen in a while.

Bike looks great so far.
Those stems are very useful, they hold handlebars, can be handlebars, or can be used to mount a sidecar.:)

I started a sidecar for rELEVENt setback, I plan on using adjustable stems to mount it. They should give me a flexible mount.

I don't know what's it's from either. I have two at home, I cut one up to fit on a Nel lusso.
Looks like a tadpole.

Looks good Dave! Inventive use of the stems for bars. As my sons would say, "Looks tight"

The plan is still to do a filled-molded frame and tank before the paint goes on, and that could very well include some small fillets and/or gussets. Having said that, it's the lightweight tubing and smooth headtube joints that attracted me to this Schwinn in the first place. Any augmentations that I make to the frame need to respect that visual delicacy. I'd prefer that this bike look as if there's just barely enough metal to hold everything together, even though it's proving to be surprisingly tough so far.

[URL=http://s5.photobucket.com/user/gowjobs/media/projects/Bike%20Reference/royal3.jpg.html]
IMG_0762_zpsaxuwyvge.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
I really hate to see the top tube get covered with that tank. One of my favorite parts of the frame is where the chain stays pass in front of the seat tube and connect to the top tube.
48d530a5695f6905d9ba7ebf64d4fe8a.jpg

Have you tried hanging the tank under the top tube?

Back