Schwinn Drop Out - Finished, just need to take some pics.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
those bars are nice......But Z bars would be the Cats Meow..!!:cool2::cool2:
In my opinion, Z-bars are just too square for this ride. I'm not running the T-bars for the same reason. Z-bars always remind me of '70s choppers and spiked helmets, and that's not where this bike is headed.

Last edited:
I think this weekend will be spent smoothing out welds and reviewing rear fender options. I have a nice polished/ribbed alloy fender, but it might be pretty cool to mold a steel one in place.

I love the stance of your bike.
Looks like it was a nice rider too.

I love the stance of your bike.
Looks like it was a nice rider too.
It's pretty nice. I may try ordering a new seat post from Chad with even more setback. Cockpit is still a little tight for my spider legs, and Cranks longer than the current 145mm arms would be nice.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

I got a little ambitious, jumped it off a tall curb on Saturday, and nearly flipped over the bars when the fork bottomed, allowing my new Schwalbe Century front tire to come into contact with the bottom of the fork crown. Unplanned deceleration not being on my list of favorite things, I added a pair of shaft sleeves as spacers above the springs, adding some pre-load.
73e1b0dd18c1f7fe7b9c6fddf0ca5795.jpg

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just hack the risers off and satin black the bar that's on there. :grin:
I have an idea that I want to try for clip-ons first. If they're absolutely uncomfortable, I'll probably go for a new set of polished alloy clamps/risers and a chrome handlebar meant for something small, like a Honda Z50.

My update is that there is no update. I've been riding it a bunch to make sure there's nothing that needs to be changed/fixed before blowing it back apart again.

EDIT: I've also had two offers to buy it as is, and another that wants dibs after it's done.
Things that need fixing/changes:
1. Need to file/grind seat clamp so I can make it clamp just a little more tightly.
2. Plenty of clearance available to install a narrower BB, but will wait for final crank installation.
3. There is also ground clearance for longer cranks. May step up to 155mm or 160mm from the current 145mm "test" arms.

Last edited:
Awesome! Lucky break that your fork tubes were the right diameter. I just bought a set of clip ons for a side project and had a heck of a time finding ones that fit, apparently 32mm is uncommon in the motorcycle world but pretty standard on bicycle triple trees. Those quills look super cool.

Awesome! Lucky break that your fork tubes were the right diameter. I just bought a set of clip ons for a side project and had a heck of a time finding ones that fit, apparently 32mm is uncommon in the motorcycle world but pretty standard on bicycle triple trees. Those quills look super cool.
Actually, I had to use shims. :thumbsup: These tubes are only 22.2mm, so I used standard 7/8" to 1" handlebar shims to adapt these extended road stems.

For the future, I think that if you check 1977mopeds.com, they have several different 32mm clip-ons available.

Back