RaTTle Can tutorial

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 13 years old and i'm the ONLY person my age that I know who can properly use a rattle can. My dad taught me all about using a rattle can,and I must say,i'm glad to have the knowledge. My friends just take a can and spray the crap out of whatever theyre painting and then end up with runs everywhere and a horrible paint job,so they treat me quite well when they ask me to paint something for them :lol: :D

cave12man said:
Been reading up on frame painting and I;m curious if anyone has used the hammered sprays that you can apparently throw on right over rust?

I have used the hammered paints and find it is not always easy to get a consistent hammer look from them. Sometimes you get smooth spots that look like regular paint. Helps to do a light coat then a heavy one to get the look.
I do a "galvanized" metal look using the silver hammerrite with a bright silver sponged on top. Interesting faux job that is easy to do.

Intrigued about the galvanized look, any chance you have a pic of the final?[/quote]

I do not think i have any photos of the look but I will dig through the files to see.

First, practice your technique on something that you don't care much about before actually painting your bike. :mrgreen:

Painting-a-little-train.png

Hoffy said:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a matte clear coat?
more matt paint :lol: no serious i was wondering the same lateley

A old truck we used to do was spray with a flat paint so if there were any runs it was easier to sand out and re spray.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Hoffy said:
I use Design Master Clear Finish Matte. But first I do 2-3 coats of Krylon high gloss clear then a light coat of the matte.
To me it gives a very nice satin look.

g-ratter said:
Hoffy said:
I use Design Master Clear Finish Matte. But first I do 2-3 coats of Krylon high gloss clear then a light coat of the matte.
To me it gives a very nice satin look.
is there a reason why you did not choose a satin clear coat ? not the same finish ?

If you need or desire you can put on as many coats of the Krylon (4-5-6 coats) then the matte and you do not get the white cast you can get with multiple coats of some mat or flat clear coats. And to my eye it gives me just the amount of sheen I like.

g-ratter said:
If you need or desire you can put on as many coats of the Krylon (4-5-6 coats) then the matte and you do not get the white cast you can get with multiple coats of some mat or flat clear coats. And to my eye it gives me just the amount of sheen I like.
i see , thanks

Primer color can make a difference too. I was trying to match fender paint to a frame color with Dupli-Color. I could not get the midnight blue like the cap(which matched my factory painted frame) until I went form light grey to black primer. Then it matched perfect!!
I experimented with an old fender- 3 colors of primer in 6"sections + 3 coats paint over primed sections = 3 different tones. :shock: :D

g-ratter said:
If the paint you are using is lacquer, the white cast is called "blushing". It comes from humidity. Ya got to slow down the dry time. I add retarder to the clear. There used to be a clear spray-bomb that Pep Boys sold,called High-Performance Clear that smelled of retarder, flowed like enamel,NEVER blushed,even on a rainy day.Its been years since I used it.

Latest posts

Back