Maine Woods (ANOTHER "COMPLETE" RAT )

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Woods Of Maine

Sorry for no recent posts. Wifey's got me demolishing the dining room. Almost completely down to bare studs. New wiring, insulation, and sheetrock soon to follow. Doesn't she know I have a bike on the stand downstairs?

Re: Maine Woods

Almost finished my daughter BMX. I think brakes are all that's left. In the process of some fork mods for the Maine Woods. Found out it's gonna cost me about $50.00 to get the shaft for the crank re-made at a machine shop and have the sprocket welded back in place. THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE CHEAP ! ! !

Oh, and I'm still working on the diningroom remodel too.

Re: Maine Woods (6/9 slight update)

Finally got the fork bent. Not pretty, but neither is the rest of the bike. Gotta get the top tube cut down and rethreaded then gonna mock up some truss rods this weekend.

BentFork.jpg

ChrisMac said:
Macine shop visit tomorrow. Actually thinking of painting this thing instead of the cleared patina (rust)

I can get a new bb shaft machined for $35.00. Then just need to re-weld the sprocket onto the new shaft. $35.00 + the $20.00 for the bearings? More $ than I wanted to spend, but do-able.

Re: Maine Woods (1st Real Mock-Up)

That's one killer stance dude, I like where you're going with this! Did you just heat the forks? How'd you get the bend?

slowerisbetter said:
That's one killer stance dude, I like where you're going with this! Did you just heat the forks? How'd you get the bend?
Heat and an old jack handle for leverage. Not overly happy with it as it "squished" a little, but it's my first fork bending. I do love the stance though.

Hate to post a pic here in your thread but look at this thing I found in the bike pile...
IMG_6920.jpg

the piece in the middle... is that what you were going to get machined?

highship said:
Hate to post a pic here in your thread but look at this thing I found in the bike pile...
IMG_6920.jpg

the piece in the middle... is that what you were going to get machined?

It looks like the same thing. Can I get some close ups? Is it a 1/2" shaft? How long is it?

ChrisMac said:
Pretty sure the chain needs replaced
bochain.jpg
You need to look at what I did with the chain from my bike it looked just like that when i got the bike. I believe it is on page 6 or 7.

Had originally planned on clearing over the "patina". Now considering an LLBean color theme. Little bit of tan,dark brown, and some strands of rawhide (Bean boot look). Maybe some plaid or back pack material? Not sure if to make the change or do this on another build. Feedback?

Tough decision!...I've been wrestling about the same thing on my build. My opinion (ahem) is: We "rarely" see a bike this size in a build off, so kudos to you. We NEVER see one ratted out in this patina.....But then, you coming from Maine, LL Bean might be nice. if ya do the Bean thing, my next trip to Freeport, I'll be looking for it in the front window.....Hoped this helped you. :lol: :lol:

I really like that rough and rusty paina as well.
I also like the original seat.
Seeing these small scale rats, I am tempted to see if it is possible to do a rat build of classic Dahon folder that I have. Maybe next year.

Holy crud, I've gotta get a move on. The dining room remodel is FINALLY done. I have made some small baby steps of progress, but I am camera-less right now. Will try and borrow a camera and post some pics as soon as I can.

Back