Girder forked Chop

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this bike at the Tempe co-op. Looks like someone had a good idea in the past.
IMGP3547.jpg

I cut off the solid seat and fender and took a look at the damage. Looks like it was raked and shortened by just pulling the front and seat post back to where the seat stay cross brace were.
IMGP3548.jpg

The spring I plan to use for the girder front end. pulled it out of a scrap full suspension.
IMGP3549.jpg

Sectioning a thick gauge trailer fender I found on the side of the road. Was going to use it for my triumph chopper but that's a long way off the the radius was perfect.
IMGP3550.jpg

I'm welded in the fender as a structural piece so I could get rid of the seat post.
IMGP3551.jpg

In the heat of the day I did a litle photo chopping so I could figure out what I wanted to do with the rest of the build.
IMGP3551B.jpg

Bottom bracket repositioned and the frame mocked up for proper trail.
IMGP3552.jpg

mocked up girder, the angle is looking alot better than the old fork.
IMGP3553.jpg

Girder all welded up and it looks great. Modified the fork into the lower support. Still need to finish the top support and add the spring mounting tabs but I should be able to ride it down the driveway tomorrow.
IMGP3554.jpg

Tomorrow I'll also mold in a tank with fiberglass and start making the seat that will sit directly on the top tube and rear fender. Hopefully I'll get it primered tomorrow.

pvwacko said:
mocked up girder, the angle is looking alot better than the old fork.
IMGP3553.jpg

That's an understament! It's looking good so far and what you did by moving the b/b forward will make it much nicer to ride!

I think that the head of that broom will make for a very unique set of handle bars. You might start a new trend . . . on second thought, nah :lol: Just jokin' 'round with ya!

I do want to see how you build the front end, so please keep posting the pics!

Nice work...very well designed and executed. Cant wait to see it finished. Tried a girder once. Its hard to weld small stock together and keep it all straight. To me anyway. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As requested, some more pictures of the girder front end.
IMGP3559.jpg

IMGP3560.jpg

Had to make a lighter spring for the shock. The first spring was rated at 750 lbs/in. Wouldn't even move when I installed it on the front end. The new one should get some movement.
IMGP3561.jpg

I was going to glass the frame today but my epoxy had gone bad... have to pick some up tomorrow.
IMGP3562.jpg

Found a nice chocolate brown that I'm going to paint the bike. Also have some yellow for accents and pinstripes.
IMGP3565.jpg

I also detailed the chain ring when it got too late to use power tools. I'll clean it up tomorrow with a scratch pad.
IMGP3563.jpg

That frame looks of the hook! Very, very nice builld, can´t wait to see how that tank turns up.

i alwasy wanted to build a guirder frame but wasnt sure how to go about it but i thinking i might have to try one now.... so far your build is looking amazing i can't wait to see it all finished.....

I did the striping and final assembly of the girder today. Looks better than I expected with the yellow accent. I've really been trying hard not to mount it on the frame until the frame is all ready because I don't want to mess up any of the paint taking it on and off. You can see in the second picture how it works pretty well.
IMGP3566.jpg

IMGP3567.jpg

Here's a shot of the frame almost done. A little more sanding on the tank then a final coat of glass to seal it all up. Should be painting tomorrow. The rear fender is my reproduction of the early triumph motorcycle fenders with the lip at the end. We'll see how good it looks all painted.
IMGP3568.jpg

Project Update: Brown Bettie
Named for the late Pin Up star Bettie Page. I'm going to make a sticker for both sides of the tank.
I'm almost done though, tank looks good.
IMGP3578.jpg

All striped and assembled. I still have to put on a different front wheel because that one goes on my wifes commuter and I also have to make the seat, and fit some different bars.
IMGP3579.jpg

Pretty much finished it up today... took it for a spin and the shortening the previous owner did makes it a little small for me at 6'2". I'll work on it a little bit more; cover the seat pan, maybe try some different bars, and build up a wheel set (that isn't scavanged from other bikes). In the mean time though I'm going to try and sell this one... fun to build but I have a limit of 10 bikes at my house and with this one in the stable I can't buy any more, somethings got to give. Enjoy the pics and thanks for all the kind words!
IMGP3583.jpg

IMGP3582.jpg

IMGP3585.jpg

IMGP3584.jpg

Latest posts

Back