Girder forked Chop

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmm.... it doesn't say where I'm from! Any way I'm in the phoenix area. If you paid for shipping (I suggest greyhound) I'm sure we could work something out on glassing your frame in. Which style did you like? Fully molded in or the tank that slides in?

pvwacko said:
hmmm.... it doesn't say where I'm from! Any way I'm in the phoenix area. If you paid for shipping (I suggest greyhound) I'm sure we could work something out on glassing your frame in. Which style did you like? Fully molded in or the tank that slides in?

i was being sarcastic lol i wouldnt send it out but Im impressed with the amazing build ... wish mine went so fast..im back to square one ... I might have to give the fiberglass another try, I need to get more resin...but at the same time I dont know if I want to lol..

What you use for the seat. it looks great.

Hey Wacko, GREAT job!!!!!!!! I like the look of the frame minus the seat post . . . really clean. The front end looks WAY better on the bike. Looking at the pics of them alone, the forks looked (to me at least), how shall I say, very heavy duty. On the bike, however, the forks fit perfectly! Again, nice work! 8)

Pawel said:
What you use for the seat. it looks great.
The seat was made out of the center section of the trailer fender I cut. A lot of time with a hammer and anvil to get it shaped the way I wanted then trimmed it down to size. When you work forming things like seat pans it's always nice to leave extra material around the outside. Makes it easier to form. I still have to find a material to cover it with and some rivits to hold it on. Combination Brooks saddle and motorcycle seat.

As for the fiberglass, cut your mat into easily workable pieces. 4" wide stips work pretty well. Another trick is to trim extra cloth or stringy bits just after it stops being tacky. Use a sharp utility knife. if it's still sticky inside wait a little longer, it should still be flexible but not solid. it's kind of a feel thing but makes for less sanding.

here is my pin up bettie page. I'll make some stickers for the tank.
BP1.jpg

Great frame, great forks, great bike!! Beautiful Betty will love to be there.
Is the other one´s tank made of fiber glass too? Look´s amazing, were I can find more pix of that one?

Gdcast said:
Is the other one´s tank made of fiber glass too? Look´s amazing, were I can find more pix of that one?

I have some more pictures of the red chopper in my intro "Wackos Garage" I thought about putting up some build pictures but as it's already done it didn't seem right. The tank is fiberglass. I made a mold of the inside of the frame using the expandable foam that you can get at the hardware store in a spray can. It's really easy to shape with a hacksaw blade and some sand paper. Then I pulled it of the frame and glassed over it.

Last update of this build until I get the stickers made and the seat wrapped. Got a brand new heavy duty 26" coaster for the rear. Old school 27" for the front with a new black walled tire. Greased everything up and took it for a spin. Man it's quick!!! I don't hardly even notice how small it is because it's so nimble and easy to get going. I decided against ape hangers because I think it would loose some of the responce. Anyway, too much fun! Keep your eyes peeled for the next build! I'm ordering a Shimano Internal 3 speed rear hub with a disk brake. This build is going to be from scratch with internal cables. Have to design and build my frame jig first!
IMGP3587.jpg

IMGP3591.jpg

IMGP3589.jpg

IMGP3592.jpg

IMGP3593.jpg

IMGP3588.jpg

Congrats man, that's the right stuff!!
Although this build is awesome, I gotta tell you, I really, really dig the other bike, that tank is just the coolest I´ve seen on a bike so far.

Feralkid said:
very cool i wanna make a girder now :D i was just looking at your other bike and was wondering how you learned to make those front ends??

Long story short I've been into motorcycles for a while though they are a bit beyond my budget. Reading motorcycle mags I would see things people had built and just think throught how they worked in my head. then it's all about experimenting and finding out how to make them work yourself. Both of these front ends took me a long time to design and build to completion. The girder forked bike took my a week of constant work! I do independent contracting and with no work last week I just worked on that bike. I'm trying to sell it right now so my week isn't in the hole from all the money I spent. That bike has more than 80 hours into it. But now that I've built one girder front end the second will come together pretty quick.

i dont think any high schools have metal shop left. most kids are too stupid to be responsable. i had to learn by getting a welder and actually doing it.

Latest posts

Back