Gender bender klunker FINISHED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this 26" Breeze frame laying around for a while, finally decided to do something with it. It's a little shorter (height and length) than I like, but it'll make a fun little trail bike.

IMG_3715.jpg

Removed the top bar, kickstand bracket, and chainguard tabs. May do something with the dropouts but not sure. I really want to start making scratch build frames, so this frame will be helpful for making a jig. Off to get some tubing tomorrow and I should have have some progress pics soon...

klunker.jpg

Re: Gender bender klunker 2/23

Got some tubing this morning, welded in my top bars, and also made a chainstay bridge since the kickstand mount is now gone.

IMG_3723.jpg

IMG_3724.jpg

I've got tire clearing issues in the chainstays, may have to flip/move the dropouts back a little. Other than that, I'm liking it so far :D

IMG_3725.jpg

Re: Gender bender klunker

AWESOME!!!

I think we just figured out what ladies Schwinn lightweight frames are good for. :D

Yeah, if you're under 5'8" :lol: This frame is kinda small.

Very nice! Great iron job.

Can you tell us the brand of your welding machine and wich one it is?

mudagoye said:
Very nice! Great iron job.

Can you tell us the brand of your welding machine and wich one it is?
It's just a Miller portable mig welder, runs off of regular 110 voltage. Is that what you were asking?

I think it looks really good. Are you going to give the newly welded sections that Schwinn brazed look? I've got a Breeze sitting in the basement that could use this same treatment. My local CL hasn't turned up any three bar frames in quite awhile.

what type of tubing are you using ? lookin good soo far.. 8)

It's schedule 40 3/4" pipe (1" O.D.) Uncle Stretch swears by it, actually welds up pretty nice. Gonna try my best to make it look like schwinn brazing, but I hate spending a whole day grinding/sanding/filler/sanding :|

Re: Gender bender klunker 2/24

Had some royal blue hoops laying around so I built up some wheels today. Just a ND front hub, Perry coaster brake rear, no budget for fancy drum brake or nexus hub. Found a fork that I may use, need to cut off the canti mounts and make some truss rods. I guess it's time to finish the frame up and paint.

IMG_0393.jpg

Re: Gender bender klunker 2/26

Started smoothing my welds out, decided to redo the dropouts and "squash" the chainstays for better tire clearance. May just try to find some cool truss rod forks, I really don't feel like doing any more fabrication on this one :lol: . For paint I'm thinking about trying that appliance epoxy paint, black with white darts.

IMG_3731.jpg

IMG_3730.jpg

Re: Gender bender klunker 3/2

Got a new set of blackwall knobbies, tossed on my old Sugino cranks, and finally put my 9/16" rat trap pedals to good use. Still on the hunt for some cool forks and handlebars.

IMG_3751.jpg

One of the best gender benders to date. I like the rear facing dropouts too.

Re: Gender bender klunker 3/3

Scored a pair of prewar ladies forks and truss rods from Rusty513 (thanks man! :D ) Now it's looking like a klunker. I guess all that's left is find or make some cross bar handlebars. It's finally starting to warm up here, should be able to get this thing in paint soon.

IMG_3753.jpg

very nice build,,i likey !

Wow! Very cool!
I never thought of this approach to getting a cool old Schwinn straight-bar! Really nice job.

Re: Gender bender klunker TEST RIDE

Thanks guys :). Found a quick release seatpost clamp, tossed on a chain, and went for a test ride. Feels pretty good, gearing should be perfect for her at the local trail. I'm hoping to find a prewar stem this weekend, and order a set of alloy crossbrace bars.

IMG_3754.jpg

Latest posts

Back