Gender bender klunker FINISHED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Gender bender klunker

Scored a Nexus 4 speed wheelset from Simpleman, I'd like to get the rims anodized blue and run them on this bike. I'll see how she likes the single gearing first, maybe I'll keep these for my own klunker build :) .

IMG_0395.jpg

Re: Gender bender klunker 3/9

We had a 65 degree sunny day today, so I went home early and got what I could in paint. Got the forks in black, the front of the frame in white. Tried that epoxy enamel on both, seems to work pretty well. Now I just have to wait 48 hours for the white to dry, then lay out my stencils and finish the frame.

IMG_3759.jpg

Laid down the black on the frame, came back to check on it, and it spiderwebbed everywhere :x . Either the weather or the base coat reacted with it, nothing I can do now. I guess I'm gonna play around with aging the paint, wet sand it with 600 to dull it down, see if I like the results. Oh well, it's a trail bike, not a show piece.

IMG_3761.jpg

Hey I was going to do the same paint type on a frame I'm modifying VHT epoxy from the auto store over self etching primer. looks like I should test the paints

I think the "aged" paint will look great. How about dirtying the white with a little brown stain too.

XC204 said:
Hey I was going to do the same paint type on a frame I'm modifying VHT epoxy from the auto store over self etching primer. looks like I should test the paints

Roughed up the paint a little, I'm content with it now. I think if i was going to use this paint again, I would wait more time between colors. I gave it 24 hours, next time I'd wait 48 or more just to be on the safe side. It's nice paint, I just rushed it too much.

She wasn't fond of the seat and grips I had on it, so I dug up an old black seat, may go with white grips. Still have to find a stem and bars....

IMG_3763.jpg

Re: Gender bender klunker ALMOST DONE

Well, I'm almost done with the bike. Went to my LBS and bought some alloy 2" rise bars, S&M grips, and a silver chain. The stem is for another bike, I just wanted to see how a drop stem would look with the bars. The frame still needs to be roughed up a little and I need to find a headbadge. Other than that, just waiting for the mtb trail to dry out :D

IMG_3770.jpg

Re: Gender bender klunker ALMOST DONE

great gender bender!! gaves me initiative to do it on my fembike.

I think it's done :D . Decided to use a beat up old prewar stem instead of the drop stem. The Grants headbadge off my muscle bike looked kinda cool so I re-drilled the frame to mount it up. Been nothing but rain here so these pics will have to do until I get some nice riding weather.

IMG_3824.jpg

IMG_3821.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg

IMG_3825.jpg

I bet if you built a couple more of these frames, you'd have folks lining up to purchase one! I'd be in line for sure :)

Seriously, ever consdier that?

That's very flattering guys, but I have a "thing" about my altered frames. Not dogging my welding skills or anything, but I would feel terrible if someone got hurt from one of my frames breaking. I'm just really paranoid about things like that I guess. :|

i get that way too. know how ya feel. i wanna get drop blocks for my truck and rejected the idea of making them myself based on the fear of what happens if they fail. :shock:

Back