Fugsley - MO FATTA MO BETTA - Believe it or Not -TRADED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Folding Pugsley = Fugsley - Water Ski Rear and Front Rack

I like my plans for the front fork, but after staring at the mock ups (since my buddy isn't available to weld yet). I was kind of intrigued with maybe keeping the existing geometry of the OCC rear end forks. I would make a nice platform for a front rack.

As you know I plan ot use the curved front end of a water ski for a rear cooler rack. What if I cut the back end of the water ski off and attached it up front as a rack? Is that just too wacky????!!!

WP_000114.jpg

53.jpg

Maybe on a future skinnier tire build I could make a sissy bar out of a water ski??
Actually, two snow skis would be kinda cool for a sissy bar. You could bolt them to the axle and them make there tips curve in to meet at the top.

Sissy bar made with ski's!?! Kwazy wratter!! Great idea-go for it!! Peace

Jake Sensi said:
Sissy bar made with ski's!?! Kwazy wratter!! Great idea-go for it!! Peace

Not right for this build, but I will definitely use that one at some point. Probably after a few beers!

If you have any left over chopper frame parts, and a tire that would be awesome. I'm doing a kind of Chopper/Cruiser type bike and i need all the extra parts.

yoothgeye said:
My video is what you need to be watching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DooLUUTW8xc

Just did, and posted on your thread! It really looks like you have the gearing perfect!
I am sure that the turning in the sand is probably more of a learning process than anything.
I am VERY jealous :mrgreen:

Re: Folding Pugsley = Fugsley - Chain Clearance Question

Well, my buddy got his welding machine out and we ran a few test welds on the scrap front sections of the OCCs that I chopped. We are almost set to start doing some real building again, but still in prep and mock mode. He has to work with a crew to fix his roof where a tree branch fell.

Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage. You gotta love DollarTree to help you get your bike rat powered.
WP_000145.jpg

Did some better staging of the frame tonight. Double checking the geometry and chain lines for clearance. Locked in the frame and rear end. This is pretty dang close to the final placement. Double checked the chain clearance. It clears the Dahon seatstay by well 0.75-1 inch. It clears the tire by 1/4 inch. I think this is sufficient. What does everyone else think? I could weld the OCC BB onto the Dahon, but I don't think I need to. Opinions wanted?

Upper chain clearance of tire
WP_000123.jpg

Upper chain clearance of OCC chainstay.
WP_000124.jpg

Lower chain clearance of OCC chainstay
WP_000125.jpg

Lower chain clearance of tire
WP_000128.jpg

Chain clearance of Dahon seatstay and chainstay
WP_000132.jpg

Full chain views
WP_000135.jpg

WP_000134.jpg

WP_000133.jpg

Re: Folding Pugsley = Fugsley - Further Mockup

See my previous post for my chain clearance question

I plan on using seatstay tubes from this rear section as my top braces from the Dahon to the OCC.

WP_000139.jpg

WP_000140.jpg
WP_000141.jpg

WP_000137.jpg

And then use the chainstay tubes as support braces from the OCC upper rear and lower rear arms.
WP_000143.jpg

Here are some more mock ups, and no those upward slanting seatstays are not going to be there.
WP_000150.jpg

Clamped the front wheel section up very sloppily. The front end will be jacked up about another 2 inches. I still need to make the gemetry right for this. I haven't decided if I will go for the front rack or not. I am thinking not and make the double front fork that I photoshopped earlier.
WP_000156.jpg

WP_000155.jpg

WP_000154.jpg

WP_000146.jpg

My lower chainstay clearance almost caused us to knotch the chainstay during assembly, but it doesn't rub, but it was scary close when assembling upside down. It still amazes me that your chainline is working, it's great, but just hard to believe. Is the Dahon BB wider than a normal BB? I know I keep coming back to this, but it just seems like one of the bigger issues to deal with on "our" builds yet you just skipped it! haha, lucky man. When you have it together use my method to find out if the chain will likely jump, with chain on, spin the pedals backwards as fast as you can.

Keep it coming!

yoothgeye said:
My lower chainstay clearance almost caused us to knotch the chainstay during assembly, but it doesn't rub, but it was scary close when assembling upside down. It still amazes me that your chainline is working, it's great, but just hard to believe. Is the Dahon BB wider than a normal BB? I know I keep coming back to this, but it just seems like one of the bigger issues to deal with on "our" builds yet you just skipped it! haha, lucky man. When you have it together use my method to find out if the chain will likely jump, with chain on, spin the pedals backwards as fast as you can.

Keep it coming!

So you think that my quater inch wheel clearance is good enough?

The Dahon BB is the same width as a normal BB (approx 2.75"). Guess I am just lucky that it is working out on my build. I looked at your geometry again and I don't think that your axle is that much closer to the crank than mine is. Not sure why it was an issue with yours. If you would have flipped the OCC rear then you would have had better lower chainstay clearance.

I was wondering if the left right chain angle that I have would cause any chain jump. I'll hook the chain up tonight and give it a test. I think I'm fine though.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've got chains closer than 1/4" from a tire, as long as it's not rubbing it, it should be fine. So, from your crank sprocket to your freewheel is it a straight line or a diagonal?

THIS BIKE IS KICK BUTT!! I JUST SAW THAT RAT YESTERDAY! WHY DON'T YOU MOUNT IT ON THE FRONT?!? OR PUT A LIGHT ON THAT TUBE IN THE FRONT...GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

yoothgeye said:
I've got chains closer than 1/4" from a tire, as long as it's not rubbing it, it should be fine. So, from your crank sprocket to your freewheel is it a straight line or a diagonal?

It is diagonal by a little bit, but probably not much more than you would have at the extremes of a 21 speed bike. I'll get a feel tonight if there will be a chain drop issue.

Jake Sensi said:
THIS BIKE IS KICK BUTT!! I JUST SAW THAT RAT YESTERDAY! WHY DON'T YOU MOUNT IT ON THE FRONT?!? OR PUT A LIGHT ON THAT TUBE IN THE FRONT...GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

My friend had a cool idea. If I got a smaller rat and rigged up a hamster wheel in the same space. I could make the rat stationary and drive the hamster wheel with the smaller chainring. Pretty funny, but I don't think I will do that for this build. Maybe for a future build.

Love the hampster wheel idea!

On a single speed a straight chainline is extremely important, on a multispeed drivetrain the rear deraileur is offset to compensate for any angles, but if it's slight you should be good, the only thing to expect would be wear on the freewheel/crank bearings from an uneven pull. Also, the chain will try to pull the freewheel straight, so make sure you have the rear wheel torqued town really well. You should be fine, I probably worry about it more than I should, but I've been turning many bikes into single speeds lately and I've been really concerned about straight drivelines.

Well,, so much for keeping the original BB. It was too much of an angle to keep the chain from jumping off.
No problem though. I cut out the OCC BB and then cut the top 1/3 of the Dahon BB. I will weld the OCC BB in place on top of the remnants of the Dahon BB. This will actually benefit the folding geometry. Before the newer crank was going to interfere with the fron frame when folding. Now, by raising the BB a bit higher, it gives the left crank arm more clearance with the front downtube when folding.

WP_000165.jpg

WP_000166.jpg

Im sure allready know that the stock OCC frame have the chainstays and BB offset to the chain side so the chain will clear.Just sayin check twice,weld once :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back