Fugsley - MO FATTA MO BETTA - Believe it or Not -TRADED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Dune Thuggy folder - inspired (i.e. stolen) from yoothgeye

kingfish254 said:
Still scouring CL for a cheap OCC Sting to steal the rear end off of.

Have you put out a wanted ad? I put one out in the bicycle section, not the wanted section, but either would be good, the general section would be good too, I don't think I took my ad down yet... Here it is:

http://eastnc.craigslist.org/bik/2528107478.html

Re: Dune Thuggy folder - inspired (i.e. stolen) from yoothgeye

yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:
Still scouring CL for a cheap OCC Sting to steal the rear end off of.

Have you put out a wanted ad? I put one out in the bicycle section, not the wanted section, but either would be good, the general section would be good too, I don't think I took my ad down yet... Here it is:

http://eastnc.craigslist.org/bik/2528107478.html

Great Idea!!

Re: Dune Thuggy folder - Rolling Chassis (ha ha) seriously

Stay tuned for zip tied photos

Man what a fun evening. I cut the rear end off of the OCC Stingray and did some mocking up on the Dahon folder. I still can't get a feel for the total picture because I can do a true mock up on the front and I don't have OCC both rear ends yet.

Here is what I am starting with. The OCC rear end and tire are almost the same size as the folded Dahon.
201108170a.jpg

201108170b.jpg

201108170c.jpg
201108170d.jpg

You can't tell a whole lot on the front mock up yet.
2011081710.jpg

2011081711.jpg

I tried the rear a few different ways. But I didn't take a photo of the way I think it will be (slight variation). You can see that in the Dune Thuggy Drag Bike Mode photos later. :mrgreen:
201108170e.jpg

This has the front jacked up about where it will be.
Upside down OCC rear end
2011081718.jpg

Right side up
201108171a.jpg

201108171b.jpg

201108171c.jpg

The chain actually clears the tire fine. It is the Dahon upper chainstay I am going to have to work around.
201108171e.jpg
201108171d.jpg

Re: Dune Thuggy folder - Drag Bike Mode Rolling Chassis

Fun fun here is Dune Thuggy in Drag Bike Mode

201108171f.jpg

2011081721.jpg

2011081722.jpg

2011081720.jpg

Cool, I would say you could start building it without the front end done yet, but that height up front changes everything, that's why I started fork first... unless you want a folding drag bike, but what fun is that without a motor?

Play with your angles and alignment, but always keep in mind your chainline! I see you've started doing that. I caught myself about to weld it with the OCC stays in clear interference with the chain. We got lucky last night when I put on the chain the bike was upside down and I thought I had screwed up and the chain was going to rub the stays and we needed a tensioner, but when we flipped it over and it worked, it was the little chainring that almost got me in trouble.

Yeah, I really need both OCC rear ends to line everything up right. In the mean time I will continue to play with tie wraps. The rear rack makes it easy. One thing that I will start exploring next is how standard/non-standard the BB is. No need in welding anything up until I am sure of my BB and crank choices.

Just noticed you have a fender, my first OCC came with a fender, the next one was missing it. I toyed with running the fat fenders front and back since if you use the rear section to make the for the mount will already be there, and it could keep the sand off of you (duh), but I put the fender on and it just looked bad with my BMXesque look, so if you know anyone driving up or down I95 this way, they can pick up my fender and you can have it. Might fit your build since your Dahon has fenders.

yoothgeye said:
Just noticed you have a fender, my first OCC came with a fender, the next one was missing it. I toyed with running the fat fenders front and back since if you use the rear section to make the for the mount will already be there, and it could keep the sand off of you (duh), but I put the fender on and it just looked bad with my BMXesque look, so if you know anyone driving up or down I95 this way, they can pick up my fender and you can have it. Might fit your build since your Dahon has fenders.

I placed my fender on there when it was on the front. Hard to say if I will use them or not. I don't want to hide the nasty fat nasty tires. :mrgreen:

Folding Pugsley = Fugsley - formerly Dune Thuggy

After RatRod (Steve) mentioned something about a folding Pugsley when looking at Sand Rover, I thought maybe I should change the name of my bike to Fugsley (Folding Pugsley).

I am kinda liking that as a new name. It would also help in continuing my theme of stealing from Sand Rover. :shock: Since he is spoofing a trademark (Land Rover), why don't I. :oops: I could use the same lettering as a Surly Pugsley has and call it a Burly Fugsley. What do you guys think? Dune Thuggy (which I liked at first, but there really isn't anything Thuggish about a Dahon no matter how big the tires are) or Burly Fugsley or something different. How about a Gnarly Fugsley?

FM3181-01.jpg

Re: Folding Pugsley = Fugsley - formerly Dune Thuggy

yoothgeye said:
Curly Fugsley?

RatRod= Steve.

Nyuck Nyuck Nyuck

I kinda like the Gnarly Fugsley since it is for the beach.

I posted a want ad for another StingRay and also for some old wooden water skis.

I am thinking about making a water ski banana seat similar to the skateboard seat I did on Beer Run, but only using the front of the ski with the curve end being the back curve of the seat. This won't affect the frame fold, but I may try to make the seat support retractable with the seatpost.

Broke down some of the un-needed parts on the Dahon. I actually should be able to recoup close to my total cost for this build off of the parts that I no longer need.

I can use standard cranks on the Dahon BB axle and I have plenty of cranks and chainrings to chose from.

I have a really good feel for how I can join and weld the next OCC rear end to a small section of the existing fork. It should be pretty strong too.

I also have a pretty good idea on some options of on how to join up the OCC rear to the rear of the Dahon and eliminate the worry about the chain hitting the Dahon chainstays.

Hate being in a wait to find mode on the other OCC Stingray. Guess I'll work on my other flip bikes this weekend to bring in some $$$$.

kingfish254 said:
Hate being in a wait to find mode on the other OCC Stingray. Guess I'll work on my other flip bikes this weekend to bring in some $$$$.

I was there, but my ship came in. If you look at when I "started" my project according to my build thread I was in a holding pattern for a while and I just couldn't get it out of my mind, even with the build-off going on, I had to walk past that cut rear section every day.

It gives me time to find a water ski (banana seat) and think up other stuff to tackle on this.

I think I will keep the stock handlebars, but who know. It will take some custom work to make any other handlebars work on this.

In the meantime, I can drool over Sand Rover. 8)

I think you and yoothgeye are nuts and you know what? I really like what the 2 of you are doing with 2 very different bikes. No I'm not going to copy this idea but I can't wait to see it finished! 8) 8)

motopsyco said:
I think you and yoothgeye are nuts and you know what? I really like what the 2 of you are doing with 2 very different bikes. No I'm not going to copy this idea but I can't wait to see it finished! 8) 8)

Thanks Moto. I can't take credit. Yooth is doing and I'm just copying. Actually just waiting right now.
Where is SC are you? Upstate or Low Country?

motopsyco said:

Thank you... on both counts. :roll:

Back