Elgin Board Track Racer, she's finis!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you going to be able to get the wheel on and off? Just imagining how that might work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not without removing the drop stand from the axle. I have one on my stretch cruiser I built a while back and it has not been problematic.
The threaded rod that you see is just there to trial run the mounting and mimics the rear axle's function.

Finally got back to making some progress today. Nothing too exciting but at least you'll know I'm still in the game!
I was able to get the fork all stripped this morning and I have it all masked up to spray some primer.

Doh! Just realized the fender support was still on the fork. Which meant removing the bearing race on the fork to be able to get the fender support off... which revealed 70+ years of dirt and grime wedged between the fender brace and the fork.

Which in turn caused a great deal of pitting. This next shot is after wire wheeling all the corrosion and buildup off.

After a little filler and sanding I was back to having it primed.

Lastly, I found just about the exact color as my mock-up at Ace and sampled it on an old Huffy fork.
I think it's a keeper color.

Like I said, nothing too exciting ...

A very good weekend for getting things done!
Received a better Colorflow bracket to work with which really got things going for me. Test fitting the rear fender. I could have used an every-day, common fender brace but I had it preset in my mind the look I was going for and nothing else was going to do it for me.

After that, with some help from my daughter, we got the frame all stripped. (No child labor laws were broken)

And lastly, began to shoot some color! Rear fender, colorflow brace, front fork, and one side of tank are painted. Frame is primered and ready for a touch of filler on a few spots.
The last 2 pictures are sneak peaks into where it's headed. (Apologies for the grainy photos - nasty basement lighting)

There was some discussion on dating these frames on the first page of my build thread that might help. Mine has SE also and the consensus was 1941.

c8609862e65aed4d0ad9944bc4d3b112.jpg

lookin good! like the color and tank graphics. I was struggling with the idea of painting mine or not before I started but decided not to but already have ideas for next years build :crazy:. if you get down to Holland look me up.

lookin good! like the color and tank graphics. I was struggling with the idea of painting mine or not before I started but decided not to but already have ideas for next years build :crazy:. if you get down to Holland look me up.
Did you end up selling that girl's Elgin? I really want that but kinda got WAY over budget with this build-off.

I always go way over budget on anything I build :(. I still have it cant bring myself to part it out... I think your daughter needs it :grin:sending you a pm shortly.

There was some discussion on dating these frames on the first page of my build thread that might help. Mine has SE also and the consensus was 1941.

c8609862e65aed4d0ad9944bc4d3b112.jpg
After accidentally tracking down the people that bought my wife's bike from the original owner, I found out it is a 41. SE as well
fc45dbcb21d1db0458a1e86378092d0c.jpg

As soon as they saw the bike, they said the guy that bought it from them forgot this and I should take it
d24507778c07ad91a9aa44385f297066.jpg
5ddcefc278762063561c29bd7ea7a283.jpg
801ed0a47c593af8ba7f1250f1fa4fcc.jpg

There are more pages in the books I could get to anyone if they pm me

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

That color is looking great. Sneak peak looks a lot like your computer rendering.

Cool find there cthomps!
Thanks Chad. I did get lucky finding such a close match in a stock spray bomb. The color is very early 60's Volkswagen for sure!
I am very impressed with the flow and coverage from the spray bomb. It is the Ace hardware brand paint.

Second pass at touching up some of the ugly spots on the stamped parts of the frame and areas that the original builders thought would remain unseen. It may require another pass but the last steps before frame painting.

How did the front of the head tube look? Mine is horrendous! I'm thinking it must have originally had a shroud that covered it. It's so rough, they wouldn't even have been able to put a badge over the seam!:43:

Back