Elgin Board Track Racer, she's finis!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Teaching my boy how to use my super duper bearing cup press and how to save a gazillion dollars by making your own tools!

Patent Pending! :bigsmile:

This is the only bearing cup press that I have ever used.

4179471-633103-cartoon-hammer.jpg

Loving the paint man!
Great color and finish!

Could you install a spacer/thick washer on the outside of the brake arm to effectively 'push' the frame away from it?
If this issue has been resolved, my apologies, these threads get a little convoluted with input sometimes.....
I don't think that would work. These Nexus 7 hubs require 5" of clearance. It already took 2 people pulling on the chain stays while one person inserted the rim ... I don't think there's room for even one thin mint (Monty Python reference).
I'm going to try reshaping the brake arm so it's flat.

When you have no extra bodies and you need to fit a Nexus 7 rim which demands 5" of clearance and your frame has only about 4.5" you need to think outside the box. I strapped some ratcheting straps to our pergola and the frame, and voila! I ended up with all the clearance I needed to mount the rim.

Brake arm has been "forcibly" moved with my BigHammer to clear the chain stays and I'm getting real close to riding this beauty!

I zoomed in on that pic with all the straps before reading and was trying to figure out what in the world you were up to.
Love how that paint turned out! No way would I let bungee hooks on the paint though.

I zoomed in on that pic with all the straps before reading and was trying to figure out what in the world you were up to.
Love how that paint turned out! No way would I let bungee hooks on the paint though.
Haha... Yes I was nervous too. However, they weren't really bungee hooks though. They are much larger and well coated with rubber.
When I saw you posted I thought for sure you were going to tell me a much easier way of accomplishing spreading the stays. Man, I just could not think of another way with only two hands

Should have thought about this sooner, but Sheldon Brown shows a way to widen the stays with a 2x4. Can use all thread and nuts/washers, but those are best done before paint.

Bike still looks good either way.

Should have thought about this sooner, but Sheldon Brown shows a way to widen the stays with a 2x4. Can use all thread and nuts/washers, but those are best done before paint.

Bike still looks good either way.
I did have a threaded rod with nuts and washers in the axle slots for the longest time which spread the stays out, but once I removed them, the stays returned to their original position.

Oops, now that I look at the photo again I see I did have bungees on the front fork to keep the front wheel from flopping all around.

I used to use a bungee on the front wheels but started using one of those big twistees that are meant for power cords and such. They are basically a thick wire covered in foam.

cord1tif.jpg

When you have no extra bodies and you need to fit a Nexus 7 rim which demands 5" of clearance and your frame has only about 4.5" you need to think outside the box. I strapped some ratcheting straps to our pergola and the frame, and voila! I ended up with all the clearance I needed to mount the rim.

Brake arm has been "forcibly" moved with my BigHammer to clear the chain stays and I'm getting real close to riding this beauty!
Might have to take this into consideration when I'm trying to install my Nexus 7... your Elgin is looking awesome!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I did have a threaded rod with nuts and washers in the axle slots for the longest time which spread the stays out, but once I removed them, the stays returned to their original position.
Yep, you need to go a bit past where you need to be to allow it to spring back a bit once the threader is removed... :thumbsup:

Luke.

Back