dBd -- double Bar denim...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The teal tank seems to have slightly sexier curves.
Yes, you are correct, the teal 40s version of the guard has a little more rounded lip around the edges. The black/blue 30s version doesnt have the longer tail, squared along top/back and rear mounts to the chain stay instead of on the seat stay near the dropout(teal).

Rattle rust the teal one, baby. Get all rat-tleier'n on it!
Thats a thought.

Not sure if red matches the teal, even if i put a stripe on it...

My Slate Blue rattle can is clogged ( i forsee it being target practice in the future... [emoji48] ), I will need to make a run for paint later and see what options i have if i want to use the newer guard. Need some hard blue...

But then again.... this guard matches sooo well and seems to finish it with just a bit of metal cutting and bending....

Stumped, but a little time and will have the answer....

Now that I see them both mounted, I like the way #2 fits and looks better than #1. It just so happens that the patina blue color of it plays well with the bike too. Double bonus!

I vote for guard #2...faded blue. Perfect match. Re-work the hangers and call it done!
Yup

Now that I see them both mounted, I like the way #2 fits and looks better than #1. It just so happens that the patina blue color of it plays well with the bike too. Double bonus!
Agreed definitely looks better, i do still think the curves on the newer one are more sexy too. But the match being so perfect with the blue one, gonna go that way.

#2 all the way!

Luke.
2nd one def looks like it belongs on there.

Thanks , all things and people are pointing to the blue one. I spent some time with a cardboaed box and some scissors.

Will find material to cut up next...

Best choice! I really like how the top of the guard is parallel with the chainstay in the mock up picture.

BTW, cereal box cardboard works really well for pattern cutouts.:nerd:
Trying to keep it parallel, still a little high up front, but mounted and ridable

Even got a touch of red on it.

Found some red i forgot about, after a failed experiment on the triple tree.

Sunday, planning a ride downtown.

Gotta tear it all.down and scotch guard it....

Hidden pictures...

Last edited:
Thanks franconuevo
That pic is from the corner at the end of the block, 5 min from sundown. Should be able to create a new one one of these days. I liked it a lot also!

This tear down, the rusty patina will be washed again, a little more toothbrush rub on the natural blue and red that is still on the frame whle removing some more of the green oxidation on it. I thought about clear coating, but i like the dry rust look on this one. A little linseed oil might do the trick, but it might darken it also.

The more ive thought on it, Leaving it to natural rust is probably how i will go for now. It is a desert bike since i got it, so less water than where it came from for sure ;-) ...
Looks good!:rockout:
Thanks Renaissance Man !!

Lookin sharp :cool2:

I hear these days kids don't wash their denim, they just stick the jeans in the freezer to kill any bacteria, then put em back on. :wink1:

I agree on the clear coat, it did turn my Mesa Buggie darker. Worked okay for that build, I had to try it once. Your natural rust and faded denim is a great color combo...prob don't want to mess with it.

Looks like the 'Finished' line is in sight for DD!

I hear these days kids don't wash their denim, they just stick the jeans in the freezer to kill any bacteria, then put em back on. :wink1:

I agree on the clear coat, it did turn my Mesa Buggie darker. Worked okay for that build, I had to try it once. Your natural rust and faded denim is a great color combo...prob don't want to mess with it.

Looks like the 'Finished' line is in sight for DD!
Yes, Finish was in sight, after one more washdown on the frame... [emoji102]

The sun is just coming up and will be looking to pull out a little more blue on the frame.

Flash vs non flash shows a few spots that will add to it.

Back