CYCO

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a spare 10 minutes at work today and machined down some bar stock to fit inside the fork tubes. I did a couple of quick passes on the lathe, which is why it looks a bit rough. l plan to part off two plugs, drill and thread them (one for each fork tube), then weld them inside the tubes so they will act like a star nut.........only welded. A couple of alloy caps will be machined to fit in the fork crown and give an extra mounting point. It will work like a threadless stem, and make me feel a bit more secure when riding it :).

Oh yeah, cut my finger on my chording hand on some swarf when I was taking the bar out of the lathe, and I gotta play two gigs tomorrow.......looks like I'll have to break out the Super Glue :eek:.

P1010063.jpg

P1010068.jpg

This is kinda how it will look when done
P1010071.jpg

Could put something really silly in that hole just to make people go Huh? like a sundial or barometer or something. Or if you could find a large antique compass it could be your analog GPS system.

Could be part of the joke... put one of those rare earth super-duper magnets under the stem, and the needle follows wherever you turn bars lol. Or maybe in the bar ends and as the end gets closer they affect it more...

This is just my opinion, but I think that a cup holder is very useful, so I wouldn't mess with it. If it looks a bit cheap as it is, paint it. There are good hammered or metallic textured paints that could dress it up, so that it doesn't look quite so plasticy, but why get rid of something that would be used on a nice cruise?

I like the idea of using something in the hole... but with a hinged flip top like a Harley style gas cap, so you can still use the cup holder too...

Carl.

I drilled, threaded and parted off the fork tube plugs today. The plugs will be fitted inside the tubes and welded in place. I have to go and pick up some alloy bar tomorrow to machine the caps for the crowns, and get some allen head bolts while I'm there. Given the time I actually get to work on this bike, I'm happy with the way it's progressing. Now.......to start drawing up a seat mount.............

P1010077.jpg

P1010083.jpg

Stance is looking great.

Nice work on the plugs.

Your bike is looking great so far. You've got my attention, keep up the good work!

Good quality work, keep it up!:thumbsup:

Love this!

As always, nice work!
Luke.

Stance is looking great.

Thanks so much for all the kind comments :) I just wish I had a bit more time to get on here and check out more builds.

Here's another boring fork pic. I cut the fork tubes to length today. I'll weld the plugs in tomorrow and start on the alloy caps to fit on top. Doesn't look too exciting now, but I'm hoping it will all come together.

P1010085.jpg

Knowing I probably wouldn't get much time this weekend for bike work, I worked through lunch today, and stayed back for an hour after work this afternoon. I brazed the plugs into the fork tubes at lunchtime and machined the fork crown caps after work. I'm very happy with the result........it's almost going to be a shame to paint them black. I left one fork tube at work, so couldn't put it all together, so will have to wait until tomorrow :(

P1010086.jpg

P1010095.jpg

P1010092.jpg

Back