CYCO

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously nice piece of work there Bean, yes it would be a crying shame to hide it under paint. Have you consider getting them anodised black instead? That way you can appreciate your work :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't wait, and went to work to get the other fork tube so I could see it all together. I still have to buy some bolts to go through the caps into the plugs, but I'm very happy with the way it looks.......just as I envisioned :)

Makes me want to get the seat mount fabricated, so I can fit a BB and take it for a spin. the stem is looking a bit chunky though........I'll have a think about milling it down and slightly reshaping it, or finding another one.

P1010098.jpg

P1010102.jpg

The stem I purchased for the bike looks a bit bulky now that I have taken a different direction. It would have looked OK with the low rise MX bars I was originally going to use, but don't suit the look I'm after.

I think I have a big purchase coming up, and don't want to spend any more money on this bike, so I started going through my parts bins. I found a stem to use, but it is 22.2mm, and the bars I have are 25.4mm. Luckily I have 24/7 access to the workshop at the school I teach at, so went up this morning to drill out the stem.

Stem spaced out with washers
P1010103.jpg

Setting up square in drill press
P1010105.jpg

Ready to go
P1010106.jpg

Done
P1010107.jpg

Much better
P1010108.jpg

If I use it this way (upside down), I'll mill some grooves in it with a ball end mill bit
P1010109.jpg

I managed to get the grooves milled in the stem today, and also rounded off the top edge a bit. The only end mill bit I had the correct size was "well used", but once I paint the stem flat black the rough finish won't show up as much. Very happy with the result :happy: :happy: :happy:

The idea was to hide the bolt holes, and once it's all black, the bolt ends should be hard to see and give the stem a much cleaner look.

Set up in the milling machine
P1010112.jpg

Milling
P1010113.jpg

Machining done
P1010115.jpg

Rounding the top edge
P1010116.jpg

Done
P1010124.jpg

Fitted :):):)
P1010126.jpg

I gotta be honest, I wasn't feeling that stem all bulky and sharp edged slab. How wrong was I! Bean, I raise my hat high, you are a magician with the mods.!

Looking good!!

Frank

Customize!

Very nice work Bean! That stem is awesome!

Luke.

I agree 110% with Luke on this...

cool est stem ev errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I gotta be honest, I wasn't feeling that stem all bulky and sharp edged slab. How wrong was I! Bean, I raise my hat high, you are a magician with the mods.!

Yup, I agree too. Looks great!

Thanks guys.......really appreciate the comments.

I started playing around with the saddle positioning today after work. It will be close to where it is in this pic.....maybe slightly lower. Hopefully I will get the mount started this weekend.......so far, it's my first weekend this year with no gigs booked. Just hope I don't get a late call from my booking agent!!

P1010129.jpg

Back