CYCO

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never even thought of spreading chain stays like that, wonder if it'd work on my ally frame? Then I could get the 26x3 Kendal flames that are calling me on eBay :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd do a bit of research/questioning before I tried this on an alloy frame Uncle Fide. It's been 30 years since I did metallurgy at college, and never really worked with aluminium in my trade, but I've heard some horror stories about people trying to cold set alloy frames.

I'd do a bit of research/questioning before I tried this on an alloy frame Uncle Fide. It's been 30 years since I did metallurgy at college, and never really worked with aluminium in my trade, but I've heard some horror stories about people trying to cold set alloy frames.
Scrapped that idea anyway, apart from the grief of carefully and accurately annealing the frame to stop it cracking, I'd have to deal with the worse grief I'd get from Jacqui for buying tyres when I've a perfectly good pair on it already :)

Last edited:
That really looks fat and classy!

These bars are sweet! Looking good.
P1010040.jpg

Man, this thing looks amazing.

Great build, Rg

Love those bars! The seat is pretty sweet too! :113:

This is coming along nicely!

That really looks fat and classy!

These bars are sweet! Looking good.
P1010040.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words :)

I'm really happy with the way this bike is taking shape. As soon as I cut out the seat tube, it went in a whole different direction than I originally planned. The next job is to fab a seat mount, so I can test ride before I start cleaning up welds and removing brackets to paint. Also think I'm going to fab a new "tank" cover from steel..........cant bring myself to use the cheesy plastic cup holder piece.

My stem arrived today
P1010048.jpg

P1010046.jpg

Totally agree on the plastic cup holder piece, cheapens the whole bike.
I cant decide what to do with mine, I like the function of the cup holder but the plastic has to go, been thinking about remaking it in either wood or steel.
Stained and glossed timber would be nice, but would be a lot of work to cut the cup holder hole...

Luke.

I dug through the parts bins today and found the cranks I'll use. I don't like the engraved logo on the bash plate, so flipped it around......yeah i know it's on 180 degrees out :oops:.....I'll fix that. I may not be able to use the bash plate....depends if I need to mount the chainwheel on the outside of the crank to gain some clearance.

P1010052.jpg

P1010056.jpg

P1010062.jpg

Yeah baby!! Go Rat Go!!

This is one sweet looking build...
I always wanted to get ahold of one of these cupholder bikes, and fit a speedo into the tank, like a bluebird.

way cool build cutting out the seat post is a unbelievable cool look

This is one sweet looking build...
I always wanted to get ahold of one of these cupholder bikes, and fit a speedo into the tank, like a bluebird.

That's what I was thinking would look good in the cup holder place too.

Back