Columbia Newsboy rebuild

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well i still have to put the rack on the back and the rear hub is to loose. I also need to have the crank and sprocket chromed but her it is as of today.

Before
IMAG0112-1.jpg

AFTER!
IMAG0229-1.jpg

IMAG0230-1.jpg

I think i have the wheel centered but every time i get the wheel in and i think its tight i go out front and ride it. Then when i pedal hard the wheel slides forward and the chain falls off. Guess i need to crank it down tighter?

Closely check the dropout width to the axle and/or nut; if this is worn wide it decreases the contact area for it to butt up on and hold, This is why some nuts have flanges with ridges, or ridged washers are used.
I have also seen lengthwise wear on slots (such as the dropout) where it gets thinner in the load direction (forward, in your case), which, with decreased contact, allows the assembly to shift.

I cranked the bolts down tight and its ok now but i may get some of those ribbed bolts.
Next problem ,cause im a noob, now my kick back arm is flying up and hitting the rear stay. When you break is the arm soppsed to have upward pressure on it or did i rebuild it wrong?
IMAG0232.jpg

and one with the rack and bags on it. I will get some proper pictures later.
IMAG0231.jpg

That arm loop is pretty big, Id probably cut an innertube strip or even use a piece of old rubber rim strip (to protect your nice paintjob) to nicely fit under it all the way around and cinch it down.

I dont think so. I made sure that it spun freely. I have had it to tight so i know what you mean. It also feels like it drags a bit when i coast. I found a local bike shop that works on vintage bikes today. Im going to take it down to them and have them check it out and see if it feels wrong to them. They are also going to use a tool they have to bend the crank back straight.

I took the bike to the local pub and parked it out front. I met my father in law there for a beer. He walked right past the bike over to us to say. Almost on que a guy walked by and said "whos bike is this?" We all kinda looked at eachother and then i said "its his" ,pointing at my father inlaw. He then realized that it was his birthday present. He looked it over for a little while and then took it for a spin. He liked it a lot.
IMAG0234.jpg

Finally got the crank and sprocket bent back to shape. At least close enough. Then had them chromed. So i took it out for a propper photo shoot.

6981301835_cce7ca1c4c_b.jpg

6981300493_dcf7b95e1e_b.jpg

6835175354_6072ac7d83_b.jpg

6835171080_da4a68262c_b.jpg

6835169830_44f746071b_b.jpg

6835174396_d8d16b03af_b.jpg

Latest posts

Back