Columbia Newsboy rebuild

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, rebuilding a Columbia Newsboy, not sure what year. My father in law knows im into old stuff so he mentioned to me that he had a an old bike that he used on his paper route and that it was actually a bike for paper boys. I started doing the math in my head and figured he was working as a paper boy in the early 60's. THat had my intrest peaked, lots of cool bikes from that time period. So i decide to go take a look and see what it was. This is what i found
IMAG0112-1.jpg

My plan is to try and restore it in the next month or 2 for a birthday present for him. So i ripped into it last night.
IMAG0113-1.jpg

and by midnight
IMAG0115-1.jpg

I only ran into a few problems. Every thing is pretty rusty so im going to talk to my chrome guy and see if any of it is salvageable. Not sure if its better to buy all new spokes and rims, re chrome the old ones or just buy a whole new wheel set. Also need to get an easy out for the front fender bolt. It snapped off.
IMAG0118-1.jpg

IMAG0116-1.jpg

IMAG0117-1.jpg

IMAG0124.jpg

Also the rear rack part of the frame is missing the center tube. If anybody could get me a picture of how long it is and what diameter the tube is so i can weld in a new one.
IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0123-1.jpg

THe kick stand was also broken. It would just spin. looks like the main shaft came loose from the cam.
IMAG0119-1.jpg

IMAG0121-2.jpg

Thats it for now. Im going to try and sand blast all the small parts i have today and then start primering them. Will keep you poasted.

I wanted to re cover the Troxel seat but whe i was taking it apart i found the front spring was broken. So now i have to find a new spring. :?
IMAG0130.jpg

Nice bike :p I'll be watching this build 8) I'll try to get a pic and a measurement of the rack for ya tomorrow on my Columbia :wink:

Thanks ratina that helps a bunch.

Did some sand blasting today. Found that somebody had painted over the chainguard. Blasted the first layer of and took a picture so i can try and replicate it.
IMAG0132.jpg

Blasted the rest of the stuff. Wheels look ok so i may re chrome them depending on what condition the hub is in. Where is a good place to get spokes? Anybody know what gauge these ones are?
IMAG0135.jpg

That's going to be an impressive bike. That is a very massive rack that someone built to deliver papers, did he have 300 subscribers on his route? If you don't use that rack, I'd be interested in it.

Nice bike. Should bring back memories to him when you finish. Love all the Honda stuff laying around. The trail looks like its close . :lol:

Thanks Dr.Tankenstein, but i just bought one on ebay last night. His birthday is the 20th of next month so Im just biting the bullet since these parts are not to common and i dont have the time to wait for a deal. I do need a kickstand if anyone has the right one lying around.

I measured the spokes to day and it looks like they are 10 gauge! I have not looked much but i dont know anywhere to get 10 gauge spokes for bikes. I know where i could have them made for motorcycles but were talking $80 a wheel.

My head badge has so paint on it so i need a new one. Most of the ones i find on ebay have the mounting holes on the sides not the top and bottom like mine. Anyone have a decent badge?
IMAG0138.jpg

I think im going to attempt to rebuild the seat. The chrome bar on the back is held in with rivets. One of the rivets is pulling out so i want to replace it before i recover the seat. Im going to the local fastener shop to see what the have, let me know if you have any suggestions.
IMAG0137.jpg

IMAG0136.jpg

@ uncle stretch, Yeah i have a bit of a problem with hondas. I have 9-10 around in various stages. Here are a few that i have built.
Cb125CafeRacer-2.jpg

IMG_9722.jpg

6168050816_d50d869ddd_b.jpg

IMG_9920.jpg

Got any idea what length spokes you are needing. I have several of the 10ga (I think) that came off of a worksman bike.
They will clean up nice.
Here is my bike build so far.
Yours all look good. A man after my own heart.
IMG_0319.jpg

Ah very nice. Is it a 175? I have a 73 CB175 that im building for my wife. She doesnt like to ride cafe racers so im not sure where ill go with this one.

The bike frame is off being blasted, should be done tomorrow. Im thinking i might go with a custom Headbadge. That would be pretty cool.

Yep its a cl175. Almost done. Still waiting for a couple finishing touches.
Several people here do custom badges. You might look in the how too section. They show
you a bunch of ones they are doing.

Well i broke 1 spoke taking the front wheel apart. Some of the spokes look pretty bad. Is it possible to use a smaller gauge spoke? Like maybe a 12g. Oh and they are 10 1/2" or i guess looking at spokes on line that would be 10 5/8. Not sure where you measure from.

Back