Columbia Newsboy rebuild

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so when i measured the spokes at .105" im going to guess thats .105 gauge or 12 gauge spokes. That makes things a lot easier.

I drilled the front fender bolt out of the fork. That went well. Took the spokes off the rear wheel but there were a half dozen or more being problems about the whole thing so i just chopped them off. Will try and order new spokes tomorrow. Going to try and find some 12 gauge by 10 5/8"

Cool thanks. I picked the bike up from being blasted today. found that 1 of the braze spots was cracked. Its on the rack part. So this gives me an excuse to learn to braze. I have a torch, i just need to go get the right tip and watch a few youtube videos and i should be ready to go.
IMAG0141.jpg

IMAG0143-1.jpg

The seat is getting recovered, should be done friday. My paint guy is on vacation so we will see what it will cost to paint the bike when he gets back. I was going to rattle can the bike but i just cant do a shooty paint job after doing the rest of the bike so nice. Dropped off every nut, bolt, bracket, rims, hubs and axle to the chrome guy.

I also ordered SS 12 gauge spokes , Reflector, chain and some $$$$$ bike pedals from memory lane classics. Got most things lined up now just have to wait for parts to start rolling in.

I am keeping track of the cost just so i know how much i dump into the bike. I keep buying new parts for it. I bought the seat tube decal and an eveready captains flashlight for the flashlight holder on the handle bars.

i went to the upholstery shop today and they said the seat pan was to far gone to upholster. So now i need to find a new pan or build one. Anybody have a spare pan or any pointers on fabing one? I have been toying with the idea of getting an english wheel and planishing hammer.
IMAG0152-1.jpg

Kick stand and seat spring also came in. Might not need the spring now.:(
IMAG0153-1.jpg

Welded some ends onto some tube. Ill round them off a little to look like the original bar as much as i can and then braze it on.

IMAG0161.jpg

Well not much progress for those of you who are watching. I brazed on the rear section. I also painted the flashlight holder. It had a date of May 26 31 on it. So I guess its old. My flashlight came in the mail today also. Monday my paint guy will be back from Hawaii and i will take the bike over to him and see what he thinks.

IMAG0165.jpg

Just like the head badge not fitting, i got the crank in the mail and i put it up to the original crank and the thread distance comes up a little short. So what are my options? Can i un-bend the crank that was on the bike? My crank is marked s-1-64 does that mean anything?

seat is covered. Now i just have to paint the rest of it. Chrome should be done early next week and then i can start lacing up the wheels.
IMAG0184.jpg

Got all my chrome back yesterday. Laced up the wheels and mounted the tires. Went to the paint guy only to find he was not done. So today i went back and taped off the fenders and frame for the white paint. So i am not going to make my dead
line for his birthday but it will only be a few days late.
IMAG0214-1.jpg

IMAG0218-1.jpg

IMAG0212.jpg

Thing about us 'old guys' is that a birthday isnt just a certain day (other than for an expiring drivers license or something), its more of an 'event' over time. Its kinda nice to have it sorta stretch out (like a stretch cruiser?) so we can enjoy it more :wink: .

real score its funny how things really come in waves we are restoroing one of those now and i never see them now since one came in ive seen 3 or 4

Im having a heck of a time figuring out where all the bolts and washers went. Anybody have any idea on how they go? There has to be atleast 1 on the inside of the frame otherwise there is a big gap between the dropouts and hub.
IMAG0228.jpg

Latest posts

Back