***BRIGHTLINER*** Update 10,0 - Virginia Beach Appearance!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's the dilema:

EDIT: Dilema resolved! Keeping this post for posterity!

I'm really wanting to build a bike around a set of blackwall Thick Bricks. I had this vision, but just like a pin to a balloon, the vision popped Monday when the Bricks were too wide for the frame/forks I had wanted to use.

Here's what I have to work with:

'62 Sears Flightliner
DSCN1334.JPG

'74 Western Flyer Galaxy Flyer
DSCN1457.JPG

Wartime step-through Huffman(?)
DSCN1460.JPG

'80's Huffy "Cool Vibrations"
DSCN1078.JPG

I also have a Jamis EarthCruiser cantilever style frame.

Again, the Bricks are my first choice, but the Flightliner is cleaning up really nice. And the Wartime ("Rosie Riveter(?)") would be a departure from the traditional "mens" frame.

I'm going to look at a bunch of old cars and parts on Saturday. That trip may change my direction, as the owner may have a couple bikes, too. Plus some potentially cool auto parts and pieces that could make their way to a build-off build!

Maybe a scratch-built dual suspension rat cruiser? Just WAAAY too many ideas floating around...........

Re: ><(((:)> INDECISION <:))))><

I have a set of black Thickbricks and they are really nice looking tires. I have two ballooner frames and the tires would not fit in my '36 Roadmaster frame without some modifications. They seem to fit fine in the Higgins that I am using in the RRBBO. I guess you just have to measure and try different frames.

I recognize some of those bikes. :mrgreen:

Can't wait to see what you pick, I know you do good work, but first you gotta get to work.

I'll be watching every step.

The only frame that has a chance of the Bricks fitting, front ans rear, without tweaking is the Wartime. I'm going to measure tonight. The rest won't fit out back without persuasion and MAJOR fork mods would be rewuired as well. The Jamis will fit Bricks, but as it is, is just too plain for a buildoff bike. The Jamis might be a candidate for the aformentioned scratch-built dual suspension setup, using auto parts as the basis for design.

Uggggh! I would much rather be building......

yoothgeye said:
I recognize some of those bikes. :mrgreen:

Can't wait to see what you pick, I know you do good work, but first you gotta get to work.

I'll be watching every step.

Yeah, I knew you would! :D You really need to see the 'Liner. The paint saved alot of the "underlying"!

BTW....anyone needing aerosol stripper, I found a "Mar-Hyde" product at Advance Auto for $7 a can that works really well. But you better hurry.....I bought another can yesterday and it said discontinued on the register screen. Hope I can find it elsewhere!

Bend up the Western Flyer and put a triple tree on it. It's a cool Murray built frame, but kind of bland as is.

The Jamis is a little beefier and would lend itself better to a tripletree transplant. I've actually got the mini Stingray forks on this one, just to see if I even want to use it.

But, man, the 'liner is lookin' good! :wink:

brett4christ said:
The Jamis is a little beefier and would lend itself better to a tripletree transplant. I've actually got the mini Stingray forks on this one, just to see if I even want to use it.

But, man, the 'liner is lookin' good! :wink:

Can't wait to see the 'liner. My build last year had the same frame as your western flyer with a triple tree. I liked it! haha

Hey brett,

Try using 'bighit's method to spread the rear of whatever frame you like best.
7135504453_6e1dfc6229_b.jpg

For the front.....if you don't go with a triple tree, try the fork on the ladies Huffman, I'll bet it the widest of the ones you've shown.
If all else fails, you could look for a rigid mountain bike fork, this Worksman worked for me.
DSCF3324.jpg

Post something in the 'Wanted' section here or....
http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=10824
http://www.rinienterprises.com/

Thanks, Dr. Yes, I believe the Wartime fork is the widest fork shown, evening measurements will verify.

I have several rigid MTB forks similar to yours, but they just dont seem to fit the build style I have in mind. But I do like what you did with yours!

The 'Liner has "the shiny stuff" underneath, so just any fork painted might not work, and I don't want to destroy the OEM forks just yet.

As for the rears, I need more room up top, not at the dropouts. I could use a scissor jack at my critical point and brace the dropouts, but I might damage "the shiny stuff" at that location (not very forgiving).

I'll figger sumptin out! Thanks for the input!

You will figure it out. Looking forward to seeing what yo come up with.

Re: ><(((:)> **BRIGHTLINER** <:))))><

Consensus has been reached!

EVERYONE, MEET......(tada)....... **BRIGHTLINER**

DSCN1334.JPG

DSCN1336.JPG

DSCN1344.JPG

DSCN1348.JPG

I'll save the Bricks for another build!

I'm taking advice from MplsCoaster:

Don’t get too crazy with ideas that can’t be self made
Use a classy frame to start
Keep it fresh with new twists on old themes
Wheels make a big difference!
Make something I like and not worry about the contest
Shiny bikes turn heads (expect feedback on this one)

Thanks Steve! Whether you know it or not, you made the decision easy!

I'll try to get some update pics up tonight!!

***BRIGHTLINER*** Update #1

It starts in earnest......

I worked on stripping the frame of all the unwanted overcoats of chrome protector (paint) earlier in the week. Here's the stuff I mentioned earlier....
DSCN1515.JPG

It takes this.....
DSCN1343.JPG

....(during).....
DSCN1511.JPG

.....to this!
DSCN1530.JPG

Then with a little steel wool, PB Blaster, and elbow grease, you get this.....
DSCN1522.JPG

I've got the REST of the frame to do, but it DOES look alot better!
DSCN1520.JPG

Stripped the fork, truss rods and rear rack. Guess this is why they painted the whole bike....
DSCN1536.JPG

It's a start.......

Re: ***BRIGHTLINER*** Update #1

Oh Yeah!!! Go Flightliners!! Glad I could help but not sure how.
What rims do you have for the Thick bricks?
I found that my Hoggy-gs 24"x3.45" were only 2.6" with a standard (1.5" which is 1.1"Outside dimension)) aluminum rim and fit on my 24" Eliminator (just a thought...)
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=51106&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=eliminator&start=30
I also had issues with the 29er (700x40) on my Spaceliner and so I know it's tough
Whatever way you do it, it will be cool
Keep up the good work!
Steve

Steve, I picked up a used set of alloy 24" MTB wheels that were right at 1" inside dimension. Just mounted a Brick on the front for fit check, and the Brick was almost 2.8" wide!!! The rear had under 2.5" clearance, and the forks were more like 2.25".

I've dropped the idea of using the Bricks on the 'Liner! I've got a rather unconventional idea in store for a set of 26" alloy rims. We'll have to wait and see how it turns out......

Oh man, I can't believe I gave you that bike! You owe me all your votes! :lol:

yoothgeye said:
Oh man, I can't believe I gave you that bike! You owe me all your votes! :lol:

This is the second chrome bike I've done. The Fleetwing that my F-I-L gave me turned out to be a 1961 Raleigh-built bike for Jordan-Marsh stores. He bought it used in 1973-ish.

As I got it.....
DSCN5365.JPG

DSCN5366.JPG

....Afterwards....
DSCN5565.JPG

FleetWing%2520012.jpg

....and this was before I rebuilt the pedals and added black grips!

Work is kickin' my butt! I'm getting really irritated! How's a guy to build a really rad Build-Off bike while he's at a real job! Geesh!

Just a LITTLE progress today.....I ordered my tires, all 26 inches by 2.4 inches of rubber goodness! That, my fellow pedal pushers, is absolutely ALL the meats you can possibly mount on an unmolested Flightliner frame....front OR back! Add in my secret ingredient, the rolling stock is the one thing that will differentiate me from the pack!

That and my new "good luck charm"......

51hoody.jpg

Pick up you jaws, guys! The wings are gonna let this 'Liner FLY!

Latest posts

Back