***BRIGHTLINER*** Update 10,0 - Virginia Beach Appearance!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ***BRIGHTLINER*** Update #1.2.1

Thanks for even missing me, Guys! That means alot to me! I know, it's not really me you missed, just **Brightliner** and the updates! :D

No real progress to speak of. I'm trying to figure out how o finish teh support rods for the rack. The chrome is basically trash, and I don't have time or cash to rechrome. I'll probably resort to paint, unless I can devise some other clever covering for it! Same goes for the front forks and strut rods.

I'll get it figgerd out soon and post what I decide. My daughter will be at camp the month of July, so I should be able to squeeze in enough time to wrap this thing up!

Great work on all the projects....I've been keeping up, just not commenting.

Hopefully the bunnies will calm down a little now......

Just go to your kitchen and get some redneck chrome

89659d1263753900-redneck-mod-of-the-day-cheap-chrome-pictures-100_0660.jpg

Redneck chrome in NC is silver duct tape!

Next year's BBO build may very well include a plethora of Duck Tape products....easier than paint, cheaper than powdercoat, and a multitude of color and pattern options!

Did you see the flame duct tape nanner that Jake did early on in the build off for another bike?

Sure did! I did a boys BMX seat shell, but I used a 8X10 sheet instead of multiple strips of 2".

brett4christ said:
Sure did! I did a boys BMX seat shell, but I used a 8X10 sheet instead of multiple strips of 2".
You used my idea?!? Great lemme see it! Which reminds me I never did put it in the How to section. I will get a new roll and post it. I should be able to find a nana seat in the scrap pile at NBW!! Ya bike is looking Tuff!! Keep it up! GTB!! Peace

Re:*** Not-So BRIGHTLINER*** Update #2.0 - I'm Back!!!

(Cue spooky music.....)

Hey fellow RRB BBO7 builders,

It's me, brett4christ.....you know, the guy that talks a good game and then vanishes for a month! Well, I'm back in the saddle!!!

Worked on piecing together the 'liner last night. I worked like a madman for 3+ hours just to get parts cleaned up. During the process, I had a not-so "bright" revelation......

Mock-up turned into final assembly when I decided to steelwool/PB all the chromed (or previously chromed) pieces, which is everything but the rear rack "board". It received a good wire-brushing, sanding, and PB top coat....YEP, it's remaining raw metal!!!!

The crank and chainring was especially crusty, but the "treatment" worked suprisingly well. It's not a first-class, or even second-class, finish, but it looks ALOT better than it did.

As soon as I get the pics downloaded, I'll post on how far I got last night. Give me an hour or so......

Re: ***Not-So BRIGHTLINER*** Update #2.0 - I'm Back!!!

I found some of the sheets of pattered Duct tape at Walmart in the crafts section. Never thought about using it on a bike until now. Thanks for the idea Brett!

(Drumroll..............

2012-07-24_06-34-52_389.jpg

2012-07-24_06-35-02_617.jpg

2012-07-24_06-35-15_16.jpg

2012-07-24_06-35-31_179.jpg

2012-07-24_06-36-03_682.jpg

Now.....on to the wheel treatment!

BTW...When do photos have to be posted?

brett4christ said:
BTW...When do photos have to be posted?

You must post your completed bike in the "FINISHED RRBBO7" forum
by 9:00 p.m. CST, August 6, 2012.

I love what you've done, this doesn't need color, the metal and chrome look good! You going to clear the metal? How about pinstriping? I wish you were closer, I could use some striping on my bike.

wow, I really like this.

Welcome back hood ornament brotha!
Better late than never. Now all you gotta do is one thing.

Gitchazz Buildin Cuz Times A Wastin!!!!!! - PEACE!!

Thanks, Guys!

YG, If you have an afternoon that you can buzz this way, I can lay some stripes for you. It's the least I could do since the Not-So-Brightliner was from you! Gimme a call and we can try to work something out.

brett4christ said:
Thanks, Guys!

YG, If you have an afternoon that you can buzz this way, I can lay some stripes for you. It's the least I could do since the Not-So-Brightliner was from you! Gimme a call and we can try to work something out.

I'll keep that in mind. The paint might not take since my bike is rusty and linseed oiled.

you can clean the areas with brake cleaner, then alcohol or wax remover to prep the surface. Then it can be striped, and once it's cured, you can re-oil!

Re: ***Not-So BRIGHTLINER*** Update #3.0 - On a Roll!!

OK, y'all, it's time for my secret wheel treatment!

(Actually, I've found out it's actually an ol'school BMX trick....not really anything new, just thought it was! :( )

Started with stripped alloy rims. Made this little do-hickey...

2012-07-24_17-26-05_147.jpg

...to do this....

2012-07-24_17-27-10_264.jpg

2012-07-24_17-28-07_734.jpg

(Sorry so fuzzy....hard to hold EVERYTHING still at the same time!)

2012-07-24_17-30-24_959.jpg

Drill starter 1/8" holes....

2012-07-24_17-25-43_229.jpg

....then use this....

2012-07-24_17-49-03_63.jpg

...to make this (72 times)!!!

2012-07-24_17-49-31_928.jpg

I did NOT drill at the welded seam opposite the valve hole. I didn't want to take a chance and weaken it.

Then I had to decide what to do for hubs!!! I had a newer rear hub that was really clean, but I didn't know where the coaster brake arm was. So, I decided to use the OEM from the 'liner. Problem was it looked like this.....

DSCN1349.JPG

DSCN1348.JPG

So, after I scraped all the old crud and paint off, I gave it the same steelwool/PB treatment. Turned out TONS better than I thought....

2012-07-24_21-58-15_599.jpg
2012-07-24_21-58-44_690.jpg

I'm short 2 spokes so I can't finish the lacing. I'll run by the LBS at lunch tomorrow....hope he's got one!

Peatbog said:
2012-07-24_06-34-52_389.jpg

Man, you could hang this on a wall and just use it for lookin' at it.

Thanks, Peatbog! I had another guy at work say the same thing. I'm pleased with how it turned out! Hope the rest ends up as nice!

brett4christ said:
I'm short 2 spokes so I can't finish the lacing. I'll run by the LBS at lunch tomorrow....hope he's got one!

If he's got one, you're still short one. :lol:

Back