Beauty is in the eye... Liner. ~FINISHED~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just asked my 5 year old son what he wanted for breakfast and he brought me a 2 liter of diet Mountain Dew and a Metallica 45... breakfast of champions? And when did my son turn 15?
20160617_074251.jpg

Today may turn out to be one of those inspired days where I come up w/something very cool. Starting out the day with Metallica and Mountain Dew if that's not the recipe for some marvel of engineering prowess I don't know what is.

I just asked my 5 year old son what he wanted for breakfast and he brought me a 2 liter of diet Mountain Dew and a Metallica 45... breakfast of champions? And when did my son turn 15?
View attachment 26936
Today may turn out to be one of those inspired days where I come up w/something very cool. Starting out the day with Metallica and Mountain Dew if that's not the recipe for some marvel of engineering prowess I don't know what is.
I think Metallica and Mountain Dew would make me a spaz!

Okay so the belt on my drill press is shot, so I more than likely I will not be finishing this project today seeing as how drilling is integral to my plan, so I'll just leave this little tweak a mystery for now.

Last edited:
Okay so the belt on my drill press is shot, so I more than likely I will not be finishing this project today seeing as how drilling is integral to my plan, so I'll just leave this little tweak a mystery for now.
"I see you shiver with antici..."

"...pation." thanks gowjobs.:41:
Frankenpedals, Frank N Furter... methinks were on the right path.
So, drill press issues are preventing me from continuing the tangent I started earlier, but inspiration strikes where inspiration strikes. I bought some wrenches at the Pate Swap Meet 2 years ago, simply because I found 2 identical wrenches and because the guy was leaving so everything was marked down to $0.50. So here's what I'm gonna do w/a dollar and a free sprocket...
20160617_222552.jpg
makes that rear end look a little cooler, eh? Looks like I may have some welding to do.

Last edited:
So, I still haven't gotten a new belt fot the drill press, but I'm not letting that stop this little project, I really only needed to enlarge 4 holes on the pedal plates, so I did it the old fashioned way, with a hammer and punch. Finally, getting somewhere with this little mystery.
Albeit no javelina skull springer, my nearly completed little project has a supercharger meets truss rod, meets garage art for the end of the world vibe so I'm digging it.
20160623_121629.jpg
20160623_121524.jpg

I'm kind of rethinking recovering my old beat up Persons saddle because, last week on fleabay I purchased this...
20160624_102940.jpg
20160624_102948.jpg
BIM 39, so Ideale? Anyways, French, thick thick leather, and I got it for $28 shipped. Way crunchier Brooks saddles were fetching 3 times that, but then again that's a sellers interpretation of what it's worth not market value.
So yeah, a little crunchy, a little cracked (in all the right places) w/a little saddle soap and some oiling it should be perfect, if not for this bike, for the next one, because there's always a next one.

I count myself lucky that I have a wife who not only allows my addiction, but is slowly being sucked into it as well. In my teens it was vintage cameras, in my 20's cars, when Alison, Mrs. Link, and I got married, I had a 63 Ford Falcon, a 54 Buick Super, and a 49 Chevy truck. The truck ran, the Falcon was my daily driver, the Buick might as well have been yard art. She humored that obsession, then the bike bug bit. I like the bikes way more than the cars, I can build a wicked, albeit ratty Schwinn Phantom for what overhauling the brakes on my Falcon cost.
I count myself lucky to be part of a community that helps out it's fellow members, offering free, good advice, and might I add, I have never, A: looked for a part long, B: over paid for anything, here. You guys are tried and true. That's a rarety. Thanks.
So there's some history on my obsession, and some soapboxing, dedicated to everyone that reads it. And yes, "there's always the next bike."

Last edited:
So I've saddle soaped and saddle soaped and saddle soaped that saddle, is there anything better than that smell? My wife's dad is a retired professional bull dogger, so every now and then on visits I'll help him clean tack, and if that ain't Texas I'll kiss your...
I digress, a bike saddle and a horse saddle are two very different leather goods. I'm sure there are many of you out there with extensive knowledge in the revitalization process with leather bike saddles, any oil suggestions, little tricks or tips are welcome as I've done this differently every (maybe 3×) time.

I read about someone bringing back a over broken-in Brooks. I think I remember, but I highly recommend googling it than relying on my memory for something I never did myself. From what I remember, though, it wasn't a terribly hard process or required anything special to do. I think it was as simple as soaking it and letting it dry over a form. IIRC, they rigged a cheesy form, but it did a fair job of returning it. A wood form or something would be best, but that's some work.

There is so much I love about this build and all of your experiments!
That chain and parts truss is sweet, love the pedal ends for faux rockers.
I actually liked the javelina skull on the front too.

There is so much I love about this build and all of your experiments!
That chain and parts truss is sweet, love the pedal ends for faux rockers.
I actually liked the javelina skull on the front too.
Thanks that means a lot coming from someone who's known for experimenting and going a knotch above with your build off bikes.

Latest posts

Back