Beauty is in the eye... Liner. ~FINISHED~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I would like to recant my opposition to zip ties, to anyone I may have offended, and the zip tie industry all together, sorry. I guess there is a time and a place for everything. On this particular build I will not be using zip ties, my side project, may not be able to escape the probability.
This weekend I did a trade for an Electra Rat Rod, a very cool bike that also had a red Nexus 3 wheelset, which would be perfect for my 52 Schwinn project, but I plan to use this, or a similar shifter, mounted as shown...
20160626_195526.jpg
and that may end up in the use of zip ties. So, to anyone who has ever used zip ties, whether offended by my past post or not, I now understand, and redact my prior trash talking of a necessary product.

With that said, this weekend was uneventful with the build off bike, still tweaking the chain trusses, trying to rehydrate my seat jerky and pondering whether I need a chromier or more patinaed rear fender, thinking about changing out the stem, little stuff, mostly contemplative. Helped the Mrs. clear coat her frame, now I guess I'll light a fire under her butt to do a post.
One thing I have decided is that the chrome chain pulls the eye to it and away from the awesome lines at the rear of the frame so it will likely be replaced with something a bit more down played.
I think I do more bike work during the week so we'll see what the next week holds.

A brown chain replaced the chrome one, I think I've found a fender that fits, both literally and patina wise and I'm mink oiling the crap out of that leather seat every day. So far so good, one month left. Funny side note, leather seat, mink oil, Missing Link is a vegetarian, there's an unexpected twist.

I like the reflectors!

By the way, you may not like cable ties, but have you tried the low profile Cobra ties? They are awesome, specially with the Flexroute cable mounts. They are so nice I have considered not welding cable guides to new frames just so I can use them... :bigsmile:

Luke.

I like the reflectors!

By the way, you may not like cable ties, but have you tried the low profile Cobra ties? They are awesome, specially with the Flexroute cable mounts. They are so nice I have considered not welding cable guides to new frames just so I can use them... :bigsmile:

Luke.
Thanks Luke, I hadn't heard of those, they seem to be a great product with a very finished look, I'll totally have to try them out. I don't think I'll be using the 3speed on my Schwinn project, the red wheels didn't look right. But there's always the next one.

Friday night the Mrs. and me watched Mad Max: Fury Road for the 8 millionth time, and I noticed that at the end of the world, it seems very few cars have headlights. Apparently those that do, they're guarded by mesh or barbed wire or something else kitschy. So I started trying to find a light/reflector cover for the front shell. Sink strainers would have worked nicely, but OddJob figured that one out first so that idea belongs to him, great thinking by the way. When I originally started this build off, I entertained the idea of filling the void left by the original headlights with chrome bullets, perforated metal, beehive lights. All the chrome bullets I found were too small, perforated metal was still on the table, the right diameter of beehive lenses were few and far between and costly.
So, Ikea helped me out. While at Ikea this afternoon I came across these awesome floating tea balls. I like tea, I prefer loose tea to bagged, when me and Mrs. Link first married we rented a house in a Vietnamese area of Ft. Worth, 3 Vietnamese markets, tea, tea, glorious tea, I got spoiled.
20160703_191317.jpg
20160703_191329.jpg
When you take the floating flowery part off:
20160703_191343.jpg
Is that a chrome (stainless) bullet? Bearing the shape of a beehive lense? Made of perforated metal? Does it fit the opening?
20160703_192808.jpg
20160703_192819.jpg
I think we have a winner, $4 well spent.
Once they were put in place, over the amber reflectors, and put back on the bike, the finished product looked like this.
20160703_193420.jpg
20160703_193442.jpg

Dig the bugeyes! Keep up the outside the box thinking!
When I saw them with the down curve of the cogs the first thing that came to mind was this

266-beaker1.jpg

Your headlight covers are a great fit to the build! I like your piece for the rear light / reflector too. Sometimes we do have to 'listen to what the bike's saying'.... Seems like you and the 'Liner are in sync!

Deadline's creeping up on us, eh? A lot of cool builds getting cooler by the day, so time to bench the side projects and focus on... another side project? I think I mentioned somewhere earlier I have severe ADD right?
My sister-in-law and her two kids are in town for the next week or so, she's been battling breast cancer for 4 years now and after a brisk refreshing walk through the very valley of the shadow, is at a point where she feels good enough to excercise several times a week. She really wants to ride bikes with her sons in the evening, in steps me. So on top of "EyeLiner" and my Schwinn Project, "Peggy Suicide", I now have another build, "Lexi's Fabulous Unicorn Rocket", not my title. Only catch is I've got a little over a week to finish hers.
Simple build, mid 50s Western Flyer, satin black frame, pink tank and chainguard, let the midnight oil burn!!!
This morning;
20160627_101430.jpg
This afternoon;
20160627_123532.jpg
This evening;
20160707_134942.jpg
Bring it!
From original/ 3 different colors of house paint to bare metal in a day, not too shabby, I have no doubt I'll meet the deadline, on this bike, and the one this thread is actually for. "Peggy Suicide", well, she'll have to sit back and watch longingly 'till August, I'm thinking.

Last edited:
Good for you Missing!! If she ever wants some pinstripes on the tank or chainguard, take them off, ship them to me and I'll stripe it for her...gratis! Not looking for kudos...just think of it as a memorial for my mom! Cancer sucks!
Thanks Brett I'll let Lexi know about your offer. Sorry to hear about your mom.
I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone these days that hasn't had their lives affected in some way by cancer, it's a real shame.

Latest posts

Back