Beauty is in the eye... Liner. ~FINISHED~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Close, a Buick grill is more arched. I had a total basket case '54 Buick Super in my early 20s.
Love the 'wall art'...we have some, but not that creative...and it's in the back yard :bigsmile: (my wife's not quite as cool as yours)..
I'm going to guess Studebaker grill.
Not a Studebaker either.
So far no takers, but you're both on the right track. Here's as big of a hint as I can give without giving away the punchline altogether;
31883750.DSCN9157copy.jpg
1111sr-09 the-la-roadsters-specialty-parking 1951-mercury.jpg

You've likely seen this car at most car shows you've been to but wouldn't recognize it as it rolled off the showroom floor. You're probably more familiar with it chopped, lowered, frenched and shaved, and sporting a DeSoto grill.

Last edited:
I think it's a 51. Prewar cars were still predominately separate fenders.

Did some looking around trying to find the right pair of pedals, I like the rat traps I've had on this far, but I really want something a bit more patinaed. I've got some Schwinn waffles, but I've got a Schwinn side build, so digging through the junk I went.
20160612_194050.jpg
These would be perfect if they weren't broken.
20160612_194136.jpg
These have the right patina but the blocks look like twizzlers.
20160612_194148.jpg
So I guess the blocks from the first pedals, will be going on the second set of frames, after the frames are cleaned, And cleared and all that other boring tedious stuff. More on that tomorrow.

Missing Link presents:
FRANKENPEDALS
A tale of the mundane
20160613_150352.jpg

Our story begins just a stone's throw from a Texas bike cemetery on a rainy afternoon in June.
20160613_151442.jpg
20160613_151504.jpg

The parts were obtained from many sources and laid out upon my table.
20160613_122350.jpg
Stripped to their bones, they awaited my hand to bring them back from the cold grasp of death, resurrecting them from the scrap pile they were committed to many years before, a new (sinister?) purpose mine to give.
20160613_143305.jpg
Seriously? Just a hair too short.
The parts though not wholly compatible underwent the necessary surgery (adding washers, trimming the center tube) needed to bridge the gap and bring the bits together into a greater whole.
20160613_144508.jpg
Before me lay the carnage I had wrought. Is this madness, I ask you, am I overstepping my bounds? Should all things be remanded to stay dead ashes to ashes and rust to rust?
Then from out the darkness my creation, the fruit of my dark labors sprang forth.
20160613_143058.jpg
IT'S ALIVE!!!
20160613_141814.jpg
So long story short, I made some pedals today. Thanks for humoring me, as previously mentioned, I'm a stay at home dad and it's raining today so this helped break up the afternoon a bit. I hope I've entertained you, or perhaps just pulled you all headlong into the madness that is my mind.
20160613_142745.jpg

~FIN~

Last edited:
Well the rain cleared out, the humidity stuck around so it feels like it's still raining but it's not. Anyways, I took the opportunity to swap out the pedals, move the speedometer drive to the right, left side and go for a little spin. It rides great, the speedo's a little loud, I'm not sure if that's the way all speedometers are or if I need to grease it or something, if anyone has any advice it's both welcome and appreciated.
Here's some pics of the subtle changes.
20160613_193118.jpg
20160613_193141.jpg
20160613_193200.jpg
I also found a kickstand that fits pretty well, it's off an AMF, a Texas Ranger, I believe, but the patina fits and it's got some remnants of an old, and spraybomb hanging around so it adds a pop of color behind the chainring. I may have to hit it w/ some steel wool to subdue the red a bit. Right now it's a little loud.
20160613_193217.jpg
20160613_193234.jpg
So that's today, with the rain moving out the mosquitos are in full force so I think I'll go inside for the night.

Missing Link presents:
FRANKENPEDALS
A tale of the mundane
View attachment 26676
Our story begins just a stone's throw from a Texas bike cemetery on a rainy afternoon in June.
View attachment 26678 View attachment 26679
The parts were obtained from many sources and laid out upon my table.View attachment 26680Stripped to their bones, they awaited my hand to bring them back from the cold grasp of death, resurrecting them from the scrap pile they were committed to many years before, a new (sinister?) purpose mine to give.
View attachment 26681 Seriously? Just a hair too short.
The parts though not wholly compatible underwent the necessary surgery (adding washers, trimming the center tube) needed to bridge the gap and bring the bits together into a greater whole.View attachment 26682Before me lay the carnage I had wrought. Is this madness, I ask you, am I overstepping my bounds? Should all things be remanded to stay dead ashes to ashes and rust to rust?
Then from out the darkness my creation, the fruit of my dark labors sprang forth. View attachment 26685 IT'S ALIVE!!!View attachment 26687So long story short, I made some pedals today. Thanks for humoring me, as previously mentioned, I'm a stay at home dad and it's raining today so this helped break up the afternoon a bit. I hope I've entertained you, or perhaps just pulled you all headlong into the madness that is my mind.
View attachment 26694
~FIN~
MIssing LInk is gettin' all Jake Sensi on us....!

Today was a stressful day at home, trying out a time release ADHD medication for my son, he got it from me so I can relate, but it was still very trying. I decided to give him dim direction w/helping me swap out some tires. It didn't work. So I put him in the bath and started it myself. That was at 10:00 a.m. Darkness has fallen and the deed is done, he's been asleep for a couple hours and I'm alone in the silence of my shop. So Here's what was done;
20160614_213842.jpg
My Hawthorne, my former daily ride got her cream slicks back.
20160614_213743.jpg
My side project for the red Duro bricks that has been on my Hawthorne while the cream slicks were on EyeLiner. Then I went for a ride, or two, I gave EyeLiner a go, and then my Hawthorne.
It makes me feel like an was to not have mentioned this earlier, but today, my wife, whom you may know as Mrs. Link, swore in, in Dallas, as an officer in the United States Air Force. She didn't want me to say anything, but I'm brimming over with pride so...:happy:
She likely won't post anything till the weekend at least, but I had to emote in some way.
So the conundrum of the day, bikewise, tiny little bitty problem,
Kitty.jpg
my chainring seems to be the slightest bit bent, not enough to throw the chain, but enough to threaten.
I have Murray chainrings coming out my butt, at my last doctor's appointment she seemed very concerned about that. All joking aside, if I were to use an era appropriate chainring, and this chainguard, with a crap ton of holes drilled in it...
20160614_215906.jpg
20160614_215803.jpg
...would it add to or detract from this build? I'm on the fence.
So, to alleviate a bit of today's stressors, and to put a smile on some of your races, Here's some kitten pics.
Kitty.jpg
20160602_154947.jpg
20160614_220647.jpg
20160604_164658.jpg

So there you go, hope the kittys have cleared your heads enough to give me some awesome @ss Yoda advice on the chainring conundrum.

Somehow the pic of me with the kitty showed up twice, sorry about that, but look at the cute little kitten, forget that someday he'll be a big cat that sprays everything. Kitten, doesn't that bring a smile to your face.;)

My .02 is that with your knobbies, the bike has a off-trail look to it....in my mind chain guards don't fit that. Your look with the one rear fender and the big open-holed chain ring fit well! I guess it depends on what else you may use for 'add-ons', but I like the 'rawness' as she sits!

Do you still have the Iverson chainguard you drilled holes in last year?

If so, you might mock it on there to see what you think as far as taking away from the bike.
Also, along the thinking of OJ. If you're going with an off road look, no chainguard.

Thanks guys, I'm kind of thinking along those lines as well. I think for the most part this is one of those situations where a minor setback (slightly bent chainring) has me over complicating everything, thinking about chainguards and chainring changes and what not. The logical solution, try to straighten the chainring. If that tails, buy another one, I'm sure someone out there has one they'd be willing to part with.

I had a skip tooth chainring that had a slight wobble to it, so I laid it on the concrete floor and wailed on it with a rubber mallet for a while and it straightened up. I flipped it and checked it often and made sure the floor was straight, too.

I will definitely give the hammer mechanic method of gear straightening a shot. I really don't want to switch chainrings, this one just looks tough. It's huge and industrial looking. I think it fits this build like a glove.
Also I will be proofreading my posts more carefully as it seems autocorrect is conspiring against me trying to make me look like I don't know how to talk and this website is on autocorrect's side giving me an error message every time I try to edit a post. Technology is awesome until it's not.

That error message has been happening for a while, even has two threads. One in build off discussion and one in forum talk.

That error message has been happening for a while, even has two threads. One in build off discussion and one in forum talk.
Ya, weird stuff. I can only edit cell phone posts with my cell phone. But things I posted from my laptop I can edit either way, phone or computer... I do know that on my xp laptop this website doesn't like Firefox, so I'm using Opera (Chrome don't do XP anymore)... But with Tapatalk I can edit anything...

Holes in the guard, even if it doesn't pan out, you still have a cool guard for a different build. Will it adjust to sit a bit lower on the chain?

Carl.

Ya, weird stuff. I can only edit cell phone posts with my cell phone. But things I posted from my laptop I can edit either way, phone or computer... I do know that on my xp laptop this website doesn't like Firefox, so I'm using Opera (Chrome don't do XP anymore)... But with Tapatalk I can edit anything...

Holes in the guard, even if it doesn't pan out, you still have a cool guard for a different build. Will it adjust to sit a bit lower on the chain?

Carl.
It wouldn't sit lower with that chainring, it's meant for a 48 tooth max, the 52 I have on there's just a bit too big. I just had it sort of propped into place to see how it would look. However I think I'm going guardless. I gave Hammer Mechanic's suggestion a try and the Ross chainring seems to be perfectly straight now.

Latest posts

Back