American Flyer 26"-last update6/15 FIRST RIDE EVER(since'08)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Heres my Newest project( i have like 4 running at the same time :))

Its a 26" American Flyer frame with a SWEET big round headbadge. Im working on making a tripple tree fork fit. I also need some wider wheels for those Felt Brick tires (troy lees). I have NO idea what color im going to paint it yet...but its going to be a while...ive been spending hours sanding this frame down..I NEED A SANDBLASTER!!! GAHH!

So far i took off the crank and sanded the TOP TUBE ONLY...REDICULOUS

BIG thanks goes to Boardtrack Fan for selling me the frame/tires
maybe some other parts too :D

camera-gate100-1.jpg

camera-gate104-1.jpg

camera-gate106.jpg

Re: American Flyer 26"

tikiharl said:
Nice score. As far as the sanding goes, I like to use a 3M disk attached to a drill followed by a wire wheel on the drill. Speeds things up alot. 8)
I lack powertools :(
i bet my dad has all this stuff somewhere in his storage unit...hes got everything in there...including a forklift

Got some more done on the frame

Uncovered some of the...what looks to be original paint designs
Pitting is kind of bad on the topbar...Hoping most of it will fill with filler primer
camera-gate111.jpg

just barely make out scallops in the cream
camera-gate112.jpg

camera-gate108.jpg

Had an idea For paint designs
Primer brown with the cream scallops and diamonds...red and lime green details here and there to match the tires

Oh yes...

That is a very cool frame. That is the best head badge I have seen. Your plans sound great with a cool color combo

tikiharl was right the rol loc discs save a huge amount of time! i do that to get rid of the paint then sand everything by hand with 80 grit followed by 180 before primer(hand sandings always good to find all the little pits and dings/cuz youll be staring at it for a loooooooong time)

I would encourage you to NOT do primer, that bike deserves to be shiny with all the hard work youre doing and the expensive tires. This is a great frame and I cant wait to see what you do to it!
-tom

tomb said:
I would encourage you to NOT do primer, that bike deserves to be shiny with all the hard work youre doing and the expensive tires. This is a great frame and I cant wait to see what you do to it!
-tom
Good point...Ill see how it turns out...ill use the brown primer...see how it looks then paint it gloss if i dont like it as much

Boy that's going to be awesome. I love that frame and the headbadge. It's too bad you don't have access to a bead blaster. I take my frames into work on weekends and use the blaster with plastic beads. It does a pretty good job. I've never tried paint stripper on a bike frame, but I have used furniture stripper for taking paint off Hot Wheels I restore.

SuperStuff said:
Boy that's going to be awesome. I love that frame and the headbadge. It's too bad you don't have access to a bead blaster. I take my frames into work on weekends and use the blaster with plastic beads. It does a pretty good job. I've never tried paint stripper on a bike frame, but I have used furniture stripper for taking paint off Hot Wheels I restore.
It was unbeliveable...worked since sunday sanding that frame
But factor in school...and food...and sleep

Now, ive seen the bead thing...But whats so much better with that than sand?

And thanks...i love the bike too :D cant wait till its done

Latest posts

Back