Air Ride Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't say I've gotten too much more fabrication done on the bike due to finishing up outdoor distractions and other unpleasantness. I have however managed to track down, order and assemble the plumbing so I can finally make the air ride system fully functional.
cheers.gif

I've started work on the stick shifter and now there'll be fab work to mount the tank following soon, very soon. The west coast's wet fall weather is nearly upon us and if I want a decent bit of test sparking er, riding, I'll have to get working...fast!
weld2.gif

airtank1.jpg

4500 psi carbon fiber tank with adjustable (200 - 1000 psi) regulator, shutoff, quick disconnects and push to loc connector.

airtank2.jpg

I've mounted the air tank and decided to go with the reg facing forward as it makes the plumbing easier. The next item to tackle was fabricating a conversion piece to modify the grip shifter into a stickshift. Had fun trying to get the rubber off as the folks at S.A. decided it should be thoroughly glued on. The black rings are the pieces I cut off the inner/outer sleeves to reduce the overall width of the assembly. I need to buy some thicker aluminum stock to make the handle in the next couple of days. I'll post some pics with the air tank and shifter mounted later this week.

shifterparts.jpg

An update showing the progress of the gripshift conversion.

holelayout.jpg

Unfortunately only basic tools in my workshop.

holefinished.jpg

The handle needs to be trimmed to its final shape but here's the mock up of how it looks with the shifter and air tank installed. 8)

shifterplusairtank.jpg

Todays progress: Got a rough polish on the shift handle, looks good enough for now, perhaps a little more shaping and use stainless allen cap screws later. Need to tackle the seat/mount and drop the air cyl so the hose can go through the mount instead of around it.

shiftercomplete.jpg

I think a longer handle would have looked better, but with an 8 speed the shifter goes through about 160 degrees of rotation, so the short handle is more convenient.

hi ocd. what are the holes on the side for? your build looks like it is almost done. did you get your tank filled yet?

The plan is to lift the seat pan above the frame by 1" then have a lip aprox 1/2"-3/4" hang below the pan to lace the leather cover to. The seat will be mounted using 1/4" fasteners through the tubes into the seat pan. There will be a single mount up front running through the frame to anchor the nose of the seat pan.

Built the front mount today, I'll need to find some sheet metal to make the seat pan soon.

seat-1.jpg

seatup.jpg

seatdown.jpg

I would think that your plywood cutout would be perfect. Stick a little padding on it and some vinyl and you can staple the material to the bottom. Looking good.

cool seat but my ADD made me think only of the sand rail in the backround :mrgreen: specs on the rail?

Very nice looking bike! I agree with Uncle Stretch about the seat pan, it would look great with some padding and a vinyl cover! :)

Thanks guys! I've been planning a padded, tooled leather cover for this, but you could be correct about using a wood base instead of steel. I could simply attach a metal strip with holes drilled for lacing around the perimeter of the wooden base. :idea:

MP63: It started out as a basic frame kit, I've added numerous extra braces and supports, it's being built on a 'fun buggy budget' using mostly parts from a donor swingaxle beetle. I'm hoping to get the rest of the fab work finished by New Year and be driving it by late spring 2011. It's mainly the tabs to attach the floor and the skid plates that are left to do. I've got a couple of stock 1.5/1.6L motors to choose from. Long term plans are to add a windshield and make it street legal. 8)

Back