Air Ride Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah it was a great ride for a good cause. I was quite comfortable along the 35km ride and the 8 speed hub works incredibly. It's funny my wife and I were the only two Kustom/cruiser bikes in a sea of spandex and carbon fibre, I had to fly my FBN colours proudly! It was raining for a couple of days leading up to the ride so I guess the more recreationally minded riders didn't want to brave the threat of rain. I was told there was only half (300 aprox) of the attendance of last year. Looking forward to getting a bottle so I can finish this thing off, I put a couple of heim rod ends and a steel rod in place of the air cyl for the ride. Here's a link to just the quick ride portion of the vid, it gives you an idea of the size and scale of the bike as well as how stable it can be even at low speeds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA8IyBBm ... r_embedded

Finally found some pieces to complete my air system I was happy with, also have some quick disconnect fittings coming too. This way I'll be able to shut off and safely remove the bottle for refilling. The tank is a 50ci 4500psi carbon fiber one with 1000psi rated ball valve shut off. So far I've been waiting 2 weeks for my grips and jackshaft sprocket to arrive, I hope my latest bits make better time. :roll:

slidecheck.jpg

50cf.jpg

A few pics from our recent 35km ride:

Hanging around waiting for things to get started
Picture016.jpg

With my wife and her full fendered Hello Kitty Kruiser
Picture009.jpg

Resting after the ride, I don't think many of these people had seen a bike parked on it's pedal before
Picture007.jpg

Somewhere along a cycling path in the Qualicum countryside
Picture022.jpg

are you going to add a plate to the bottom and let that think spark when you drop it?
I was thinking about welding a nut in the end of each down tube, that way I could thread a bolt into it and just unscrew and replace them as they wear down. Actually I didn't (really) build the bike to drag on the ground, it's just an over engineered replacement for a kickstand when I park. :lol:

Thanks for the compliments everyone :)

My 50ci 4500psi air tank arrived today, removed factory regulator and installed my adjustable one. I may mount it with the regulator facing forward, haven't decided yet. Waiting for an on/off valve and quick disconnect fittings to come.

airtank1.jpg

Also working on an improved jackshaft. Started with an old ten speed rear hub, got a proper SA style 1/8" 18 tooth cog, ground the centre out until it fit over the freewheel side. I drilled out the flange holes to appear less like spoke holes, then used a Dremel to open up between the holes and then filled with weld. Hardly damaged the chrome

jackshaft2.jpg

Finished redoing the mounts for the jackshaft today, also added tension adjusters to make setup easier. The mounts are a bit square and plain looking, I'll have to come up with a way to detail them later. The whole jackshaft had to come forward to clear the frame and then outward to make up for the 1/2" I lost after turning the rear cog over the correct way.

Jackshaft2-1.jpg

The 3.0 Kendas give the bike a beefier look, the extra inch of ground clearance gained helps cut down on the frame dragging too. Need to start planning something more permanent for a seat.

30Kendas.jpg

I'm sure they won't break off (lol) but they do look a bit heavy compared to the rest of the frame. I didn't want them so long but it was the only way to get the chain clearance needed for the 3.0 Kendas which I think make the bike look a lot less 'wimpy'. I'll likely taper them torwards the front and may drill some lightening holes or something before I'm done. Anyway, still waiting for my quick release and shutoff to arrive for the air system so the seat may be next on the list along with a mounting system for the air tank.

I kept having to readjust the front chain and so decided to make a BB tensioner, that way adjustment would only take 2 hands and stay consistant, works great so far.

BBtensioner.jpg
How does that work? maybe a dumb question but he.. live and learn :)

BRW: Do you mean does it work well or W(T)F? To answer both: it works very well and I'll try to dig out another pic from a different angle. The bottom bracket attachment has one pivot hole (as seen in the pic) and a curved slot above with another through bolt. I found it worked fine, but required three hands to get it properly tightened. The bolt above the BB just pushes and holds the assembly forward so I only need two hands to tighten the clamping bolts. It's simple and works great. An eccentric BB would have been cooler but costs way more money. :mrgreen:

I hope this angle works better. The assembly pivots on the lower bolt and tightens along the slotted the upper one. As previously mentioned the piece above the BB (not pictured here) just pushes it forward while I tighten things up so I don't have to use my chin to hold it in place with a screwdriver to tighten the front chain. Let me know if you have any other questions. :?

bottombracketsm.jpg

aha I see..thanx for the info..it was just out of curiosity..very nice work btw
You're welcome, that's my favourite part of forums like this one...sharing info and learning from others. The rough fabrication work is nearly finished, over the fall/winter I'll tear it all down and complete the detail work.

whats up ocd. its been a while since my last visit. your bike is turing out very good. how are you on the air setup? did you get your tank?

Air system is working well, just waiting for my quick disconnect and shutoff to come through ebay. It's been about 17 days since I ordered them, should be here soon. Have been out riding this weekend and the relocated jackshaft is working great. :)

Back