Air Ride Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great to see your bike finally ridable and the air system working well
cheers.gif

My rims did originate from CyclesUS, I wait for their 30% off sales before I order. Besides, they are one of the few US companies that ship USPS to Canada which is a big savings due to lack of brokerage fees. They carry complete wheels too if you don't want to build your own wide wheels from scratch, depends on what hubs/gears/brakes you plan on running. I've never had a problem with CyclesUS, if something is damaged, chipped, broken, etc, they always make it right (in my experience) although they may be a little more expensive up front on some items.

That's a good question and I'm no expert. I guess first off it depends on what you plan to do with it. If it's for your air ride bike it will be difficult if you want to retain your 144 spoke pattern, I've seen people make adapter plates that bolt on to the hub flange and then the spokes go in, but you would need a complete set of spokes of a different length (I have a CAD drawing of the adapter for a waterjet cutter if you'd like it). Also depends on you budget, or whether you want a rear disc brake, or roller brake, or coaster brake? My latest build has the 8 speed Sturmey Archer disc hub. I bought it brand new in the box with all the hardward and shifter for about $120 off Amazon.com. You can buy an old Sturmey or Shimano 3 speed for about $20 on ebay. The Nexus 7 speed seems a popular choice with people at the moment, it and the Sturmey 8 are good choices per dollar spent from the reviews I've seen. :?

thanks for the info. i'll be looking for a hub soon. my tires and rims look too skinny on my large frame. i'm going to spend some time and research on the wider wheels and hub. i just posted my rims for sale.

OCD said:
That's a good question and I'm no expert. I guess first off it depends on what you plan to do with it. If it's for your air ride bike it will be difficult if you want to retain your 144 spoke pattern, I've seen people make adapter plates that bolt on to the hub flange and then the spokes go in, but you would need a complete set of spokes of a different length (I have a CAD drawing of the adapter for a waterjet cutter if you'd like it). Also depends on you budget, or whether you want a rear disc brake, or roller brake, or coaster brake? My latest build has the 8 speed Sturmey Archer disc hub. I bought it brand new in the box with all the hardward and shifter for about $120 off Amazon.com. You can buy an old Sturmey or Shimano 3 speed for about $20 on ebay. The Nexus 7 speed seems a popular choice with people at the moment, it and the Sturmey 8 are good choices per dollar spent from the reviews I've seen. :?

OCD... Can you send me a copy of that cad drawing?
How are you doing on your build so far? been waiting to see more pics :D

i notice that many people in snl will put the 24's on thier bikes. is there a reason why they are more popular than the 26's?

Progress on the frame has been a bit slow due to renovations going on in our downstairs bathroom and front bedroom because of long time plumbing and electrical issues. Also, just finished rebuilding my mtb fork as the oil plug came out causing internal damage as well as the brake being fouled by fork oil.

This was the front bedroom, much rewiring and increased water supply now, insulation upgraded to R40.
Picture012.jpg

This used to be a bathroom, a slight water drip ruined the drywall over years, unseen inside the hot water boiler closet.
Picture008.jpg

I believe the SNL guys like 24's coz they lower the bike without frame mods. Most of those bikes are built from a careful selection of bolt on items and paint, but are not scratch built.

Could I get a copy of that cad drawing as well. I just ordered some rims from choppersus, and some 144 spoke hubs but might go with a three speed instead od the single speed coaster. Thanks. The bike is going to look sick!!!!

Renos are now complete, new tenants moving in on the 15th. Shop needs a thorough tidy and it's back to work on this project. I'm looking forward to having something new to cruise on this summer. I'll post again when I have more than just a pile of parts. :wink:

I want to build a tube roller like yours, do you have any plans for it or a parts list i could get thanks!

I've finally cleared some time to make a bit of progress with this frame. The basement renos are done, finished a large raised bed garden for my wife and completed a few other yard projects. Now onto something for myself. So far the top tubes have been re-arched, cut to final length and welded together, it's a start.

Picture079sm.jpg

Picture088sm.jpg

Picture092sm.jpg

OCD,
Love this bike so far! I dig the full suspension cruiser with a 'Spaceliner' (IMO) nod, cool.
Gotta question, how did you widen the front springer to accept that wheel/tire combo? Lookin' to build a resto-custom cruiser with wide 24X3 WWs and 70 or 100mm rims.

Thanks!
Dr. T

Dr T: I'm running 24"x3" Kendas on 65mm rims, to wided the fork I put washers on the inside of the the pivot bolt, plus the extra width of the disc brake adapter and running the struts on the inside of the fork. It's almost enough but should be perfect with thicker spacers and a slightly longer polished stainless bolt through the pivot.

A bit of frame work done today, at least it's beginning to take shape. Started eyeing out the chainline too, likely need to run a tensioner/guide on the rear section. Managed to dig out enough pieces to build a jackshaft. Going to be tight getting the rear chainline to work without rubbing, I'm finding using the mtb parts is a blessing/curse. Hoping to maintain a more productive pace. Lots to do....

Picture003sm.jpg

Picture008sm.jpg

looks great. are you going to make a lock for it so you don't have to use air all the time? i like the way you made the double tube all the way down to the rear. looks wide in the photo. will it rub against your legs when you ride?

Back