Agent Orange

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time for the boring part. Sanding off the gelcoat so the new fiberglass will adhere.

All sanded.

Ran out of time to finish sanding down the plaster last night so I'll finish it up tonight. Then I can lay the fiberglass over it, remove it from the buck, then do some more sanding and the new addition to the fender will finally be complete.

Here's some more inspiration.

Got all the plaster sanded last night. This shows how much I'm adding to the fender.

I taped off the edge of the plaster and the fiberglass so I can put on the mold release. This will make sure the fiberglass that I'll be adding won't stick to the plaster.

And just my luck, the so-called quick dry plaster, that was supposed to be dry within one hour, is still wet after 29 hours. Craaap!!! This just put me another day behind. Hopefully I'll be able to fiberglass tonight. If not, then I hope the Netflix fairies sent me something good today.

I hate Auto Zone!!!! They obviously don't rotate their stock. The fiberglass resin I bought from them was already dried up in the can. This stuff must have been sitting on their shelf for 5 years. It was too late last night to go back and get some new resin, if they even have new resin. I'm just going to return it for my money and go somewhere else to get it. Another day wasted! At least I have other things to work on, but I was really looking forward to getting this fender done last night.

Nice work on the fender, looking great.

go ahead and make me a set as well.

I'm actually thinking about making a mold of this rear fender after I'm finished. At first it was just in case I ever want to build another bike like this, but I've been thinking about selling them too. I'll let you know if I do.

You guys with all your talent and tools and stuff just really make my head spin...:crazy:

Haha, honestly, I don't really have that many tool. Just a few my dad gave me. I don't even have a welder anymore. I have to go to my buddies house just to weld things up. Truth is, I just make it up as I go along. Sometimes it works, most of the times I have to re-do it. But it's still fun.

So you are going to use this as a form for a mold? I was wondering about the plaster...

Great build so far, good luck, Rg

Thanks. This will be the actual fender once I finish fiberglassing it. If I decide to make more fenders just like this one I'll use this fender to make a 2 piece mold from. The plaster is used to fill and shape the area where I need to add fiberglass to. Once thats done I can remove the completed fender from the wood buck I made. The plaster will not stick to the fiberglass so that's not a permanent part of the fender.

Back