19PENNYSAVER71 (LAST UPDATE 07/31 FINAL DETAILS)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 19PENNYSAVER71 (UPDATE 5/10)

Skipton said:
Cool bike! Great job on parts cleaning :wink:

Thank you!! My first muscle bike I have owned and super excited to have it for the build off.

Where's your update? I'm pretty sure you've done some work and snapped some photos.

nelvolks said:
It's coming. I should have some pics up this week. I am waiting for the weather to break so that I can start painting the frame.

Sounds like the weather is already broken, you might as well just paint in your kitchen.

THIS IS DEFINATLY MY FAVORITE BUILD SO FAR!

yoothgeye said:
nelvolks said:
It's coming. I should have some pics up this week. I am waiting for the weather to break so that I can start painting the frame.

Sounds like the weather is already broken, you might as well just paint in your kitchen.

Ha yeah right I dont think that will fly too well with the Mrs.

Re: 19PENNYSAVER71 (UPDATE 5/18)

Ok here it goes RRBikers. From last week until today I had plenty of time to wait until the rain stopped so that I can do some more work to my bike. I ended up going to a local bike shop http://www.performancebike.com to buy some tubes that were on sale. I found this bike in an isle and thought it was cool looking.

IMG-20110514-00188.jpg

I also got in the mail some goodies that I ordered for the bike. One of the three packages have arrived which is the fork and I am still waiting on the tires.

IMAG0033.jpg

So today the rain stopped and the sun came out and as soon as I got home from work I was outside setting up my professional paint booth so that I can get started on painting my idea for my frame.

This is somewhat of the idea that I am looking for the frame.
hrdp_0704_rat_02_z1937_ford_rat_rodpatinarear_view.jpg

Here is my professional paint booth.
IMAG0005.jpg

Ok so first things first. I started with Bulldog Adhesion Promoter, then once that dried up I painted the whole frame with Etching Primer which is a green/gray color.

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg

Next step was to use copper tone colors and create the look of patches of primer mixed with fake rust on different points of the frame. I used Hammered Copper and Metallic Aged Cooper colors along with a dark burgundy primer.

IMAG0011.jpg

IMAG0013.jpg

Aha there I am painting away.
IMAG0014.jpg

I then let the frame dry for a bit until I ate dinner, which btw was rigatoni pasta with italian sausage, soppressata salami and sauteed peppers along with olive oil with crushed salt and pepper to dip with bread and finally a diet coke. After dinner I took the frame to clean up the over spray of the copper and burgundy colors on the frame and I also wanted to show some parts of the bare metal. Plus it makes the colors fade into each other and gives it that worn look.

IMAG0024.jpg

You can see how the colors are faded in really nice.
IMAG0029.jpg

IMAG0027.jpg

And here it is ready for a few coats of flat clear to top it off and lock in those layers of different paint colors.
IMAG0030.jpg

Well that is all for today I hope you guys like what I am doing and the direction I am going with this bike. I am very pleased with how my ideas are coming out. Enjoy!

Work of art my friend:

IMAG0027.jpg

I'm starting to wonder why I convinced you to enter this build... like I need more competition.

yoothgeye said:
Work of art my friend:

IMAG0030.jpg

I'm starting to wonder why I convinced you to enter this build... like I need more competition.

Wow thanks for the compliment my friend. And btw I love your bike and build it is super awesome especially the way you are building the parts for it. I am jealous of your craftsmanship.

nelvolks said:
Wow thanks for the compliment my friend. And btw I love your bike and build it is super awesome especially the way you are building the parts for it. I am jealous of your craftsmanship.

Thanks man, but don't forget, you have the skills in you too, remember, we invented the very first oversized exhaust tip on a 4 cylinder car. :)

yoothgeye said:
nelvolks said:

Thanks man, but don't forget, you have the skills in you too, remember, we invented the very first oversized exhaust tip on a 4 cylinder car. :)

Yes we did and it was awesome!!!!!

yoothgeye said:
nelvolks said:
Yes we did and it was awesome!!!!!

Stainless steel, 8" diameter, back before the internet and all the "rice" tomfoolery.

Anyway, back to your build, I found your headbadge:
http://www.prankplace.com/product.aspx? ... =4247&c=64

You know what we must really be able to read each others minds bc my idea for a headbadge was a penny and I even thought that it would be cool if I could find a bigger than normal size one. THANK YOU THANK YOU U DA MAN!!!!

Nice painting technique. Finished product "NICE". Incredible transformation from where it started.

Latest posts

Back