█★█ starsNbars █★█ 38 Hawthorne Twin Bar 5 Bar ☠ - Red White and RUST - Tied for 7th Place

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chainring or chainguard?
Three people giving the tank the thumbs up now. Guess I should step back and look at it more.

Maybe I was too distracted by my Elgin Twinbar purchase today from @prewarguy (the same RRBer that sold me my current frame).
View attachment 4150

That is sweet! Love that! Your build looks real nice man, great work!

Last edited:
Center up the chainguard on chainring, to me makes the bike. I have one on a 33 Rollfast.

Center up the chainguard on chainring, to me makes the bike. I have one on a 33 Rollfast.

Yeh, that is my plan. Right now It just sits on there for photos.

Are you thinking white chainring with red outlines on the stars?
No, you are.:D

Actually in the pictures the tank looks like the same cream color as the tires. I think the same cream on the chain ring would really look good behind that guard. There's probably enough details with the stars and reflectors that I wouldn't think you'd need an outline though.

Tank is more white, but has a decent patina to it. The graphics are in great shape. I may dirty it up if I use it.
Maybe I'll paint the chainring with red and crème stripes. :p

I like the tank and the chainguard, it all looks good to me...
Luke.

I agree dirty up the tank but keep it. Love the bike
Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Everyone steered me right with the angle of the beehive brace, so I guess I should listen to this many people liking the tank. That's the beauty of RRB and the Build Off. It keeps us from having to build in our own personal vacuum. I really appreciate all of the input!

Last edited:
I don't give any advice. I think what ever you like on your bike is your choice. But, I will give you my opinion. The tank and chain guard look great on the bike.

Maybe you could 'age' the white on the tank with that Minwax stain/polyurethane stuff to more of a cream color. I like the position of the light closer to the handlebars (just lower), rather than perched out on end of the 'fender'.

Keep the chainguard, accent it with cream perhaps, leave the chainring alone

My .03...I know you, I figured I could sneak in an extra penny :D

Build on!
Cheers buddy,
Dr. T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't give any advice. I think what ever you like on your bike is your choice. But, I will give you my opinion. The tank and chain guard look great on the bike.

GO FOR IT B!!

like the tank and small headlight!
Troy

My .02:
Keep the tank and nestle the headlight beneath the handlebar and above the upper linkage of the fork.
Again, just my .02. :thumbsup:

I can't mount the light below the bars because the girvin springer forks will hit it. I have some ideas of mounting it just in front of the bars though.

Maybe you could 'age' the white on the tank with that Minwax stain/polyurethane stuff to more of a cream color. I like the position of the light closer to the handlebars (just lower), rather than perched out on end of the 'fender'.
Keep the chainguard, accent it with cream perhaps, leave the chainring alone
My .03...I know you, I figured I could sneak in an extra penny :D
Build on! Cheers buddy, Dr. T

I was thinking about something like that along with some oil and grease and such. Actually another idea just popped in my head as I was typing. I'll try it out and get back to you guys on it, but it's a Hop Shop inspired way of getting a cool aged crème color that I was already planning to use elsewhere on the bike.

Again, thanks for all of the feedback guys. My brain is buzzing right now and it's too late to go out to the shop.

Here is my latest experiment. Masking tape is almost a perfect match to my crème BOA, so I covered one half of the tank with masking tape, then rubbed it down with a greasy rag. If it wasn't for the tape edges getting highlighted by the grease, I might like this, but I'm not feeling it. I may give it another try with wider tape or see if there is a way to make the lines work with the tank. We'll see.

One side without tape
WP_20140624_18_56_14_Pro.jpg

Correct side with dirty tape
WP_20140624_18_57_15_Pro.jpg

Will the masking tape lift off after a while?

Luke.

I would end up shellacing or putting some hard coat over it. I'm not sold on this experiment yet though.

For the tank could you not just match a cheap h20 paint to the color of your tires,and then grease it n scratch it,rub it?
Also build a light attachment arm to lower the light down and away from the forks...
my penny's are euro's and I'm all out of cents...:whistle:

traditional-wall-sconces.jpg

Back