Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. D

Roller brake

I have an older Mongoose Redondo with roller brake on the rear and it is worthless. As bad or worse than side pull brakes. The bike came with canti-front/roller rear and I didn't even trust it for leisurely riding. Replaced the front with V's and it's functional now but I hope they never go out...
  2. D

LOOKING FOR THESE!

I got my Stingray front off of eBay. You have to keep looking and sometimes people are really proud of their newer Stingray parts. But I eventually found a used one for a very fair price. Might have to check everyday for a week or two. Mounted it to a cheap 24" mountain bike wheel and came out...
  3. D

Bike Snobs

I love that bike. It looks vintage with a lot of little touches. I think you accomplished what you were going for. A phrase you might be familiar with is "built, not bought." People who can't build don't understand what it's like and think they know everything because they own some of it. What I...
  4. D

Wide 20" tire... cheap, partial review

Thank you for the link. I was waiting for someone to post more in this thread but it was getting taken care of in yours. I am envious of your work with your daughter. Mine like the things I build but neither will come out and do the work. They both like to ride bikes but neither are excited...
  5. D

Yeah, a normal tube out of the tire blows up pretty big but with the posted one for that cheap I would buy the right size. Just hadn't seen that one. So, anyone with this thing mounted, care to give us a width measurement? I imagine my WCC frame would hold it but the crank would need to be...
  6. D

So those are without tube? I was going to ask if you used one of those special wide tubes or just blew up a regular. If anyone can chip in experience in that department. I really want one of these tires but the special tube costs about twice as much as this tire shipped. Hoping you can just...
  7. D

Kansas Rat Rodders Show us your stuff!

450redrider, what is that frame in "other brands" called simple rat? Is that a custom built or off the shelf? I like the geometry, especially when you can put a big ole dish seat like that on and it looks right.
  8. D

Can you guess what I ordered for Christmas

So I ran out at lunch and grabbed a few pics. There are huge shadows across them but they are against the same wall as previous pics for good comparison. I am just so surprised how a cheap set of bars can compliment the bike so much. Besides looking proportional to the forks and frame...
  9. D

They are Pyramid 12" rise bars. Ordered on Amazon and came from Bikeworld USA I think. I do already have them mounted. Actually waited several days for my grips to set properly before I went for a ride. Now I have to try getting a good pic between end of work and sundown. Might be a day or two...
  10. D

I should have had this up a few days ago but have been on break, so I've been lazy. I always joke about wrapping one of the kids' presents like this and then it's how I get my own present. I guess it would be pointless to put them in a box. It is after all a steel bar.
  11. D

Kansas Rat Rodders Show us your stuff!

Well I guess since you called us out by the entire state, that would include me. I have only built the one bike. Not quite the typical old frame bike. I keep my eyes open but in a college town everyone gives their bikes to the campus ministry to give to the foreign exchange students. The...
  12. D

Patina?

Well I understand I am on a bike forum and I learned about patina in jewelry making class (torches and anvils, not beads and wire) but I do not immediately equate rust with patina. In fact it must be a very specific and hardened rust for me to even consider it desirable/useable. When I hear...
  13. D

Stretched frame=finally fits

Yes, the head tube was my biggest concern when I picked the bike up. Both halves of the bike were clocked forward making it sharper than the original frame. But the bike rides nice, very responsive and sharp. Basic measurements in Photoshop look no worse than a BMX frame. I had originally...
  14. D

Stretched frame=finally fits

So a while back I spent the time to hand paint the whitewall on the tires. I found a small velcro pouch that I sewed straps on and made a bar bag for a few simple tools. I even took the bike down to a local building and took pictures in front of the brick wall. The sunset would have almost...
  15. D

forks....

You don't have to lace wheels to need a truing stand. I think I have outgrown my stage of regularly bending rims but there is always a wheel in the vicinity that rubs in a spot. I usually do my truing on the bike but that's just because I don't have a stand. I did a little work in a bike shop...
  16. D

Bicycle People?

I do tend to use cyclist to refer to my self but then immediately state "I ride a chopper bicycle." These days it's the chopper or the mountain bike but when I was younger I would do 30 miles in a day on gravel roads to go see friends. I grew up on a farm and became a "cyclist" out of boredom. I...
  17. D

How to remove a dent from a closed tank

The self tapping screw is a good idea. But of course requires welding for finishing. Looks like most of the good methods will require welding to some degree so wait it is, until I am better equipped. Some days the dent just bothers me a lot, others I don't care. When I say that I am going to fix...
  18. D

I guess the welding rod would be cheapest, better than trying to find a stud welder to use. I would love to buy one but can't justify it for one simple project. I guess I was hoping for a "miracle" way like dry ice or heat. The freezing water could work except it's closed. And since I don't have...
  19. D

Did search and found the topic covered for a tank bike where they could remove the sides separate. But this is on a fake tank that is complete and round and the only openings are at the bottom where the machine screws thread in. There is a small dent on one side and I would like to take care of...
  20. D

Bamboo Bike

If it is thick wall and "construction grade" and still cracking then your bamboo may be dried out or old or been sitting around for a while. I started growing bamboo and collected some of the larger "culms" from where I dug the root stock. They are amazing when freshly cured (just dried out) but...
Back