Stretched frame=finally fits

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post is to show my first actual "build". It started as a novelty bike that I wanted to make fit me. Much to my surprise there was an old family friend who was/is a professional weldor. I thought he had retired. I let him have the bike during the cold months and he worked at his leisure. The major work has already been done but I have a before, concept and after so you get to see what was done. I showed the bike in my intro thread but figured this would be the place to share the details.

Jesse James WCC kid's bike. This thing was covered with every "biker" theme they could fit on. Flames, spider webs, pin striping, Old English lettering and even a fake revolver chamber for the gas cap. It originally had low rise bars so that a pre-teen would look all hunched over on a fairly stretched "chopper". I stripped the "extras" and chopped a set of BMX bars to make some decent rise bars, so that I could actually ride the bike.
originalbike.jpg

But I'm not a kid, so I started building a concept in Photoshop. The concept shows a 9" stretch on the bottom tube and the top was to be fabbed using donor frames. I used a tape measure in the pictures so I could track scale and perspective so it should have been a pretty coherent design. But my weldor is a weldor, not a biker. So it was left in his hands to do what he does, and I tried to take my mind off of it so the time didn't drag by that it wasn't actually in my hands.
fullstretchconcept.jpg

When I went to pick up the frame he had done it quite differently from the concept. I was concerned for the geometry of the bike but it worked out OK. He kept the top tube straight and merged the bottom however he could. The bottom added 9" and the top came out 10.5". It effectively clocked both halves of the bike forward, sharpening the geometry. This is where it could have been bad. But the head tube didn't go TOO far and thus came out as a sharp, responsive bike with out the low speed "chopper wobble." Since I had been advised on another forum to sleeve the tubing, my weldor chose different materials than the spare bike frames I provided. I'm not sure what the bottom is but the top appears to be galvanized pole from a chain link fence :shock: . Regardless, the welds are pretty, the frame is strong, and I ended up with a bike that feels great and I really enjoy riding.
initialpic-stretchedframe.jpg

I've found some better platform pedals and am trying to find a slightly longer crank (stock 152s) and the black ones I found were bent. But hopefully I can find some good ones in black, as I really like what it does for the appearance. Instead of adding an idler the chain is taken care of by a single motorcycle style screw and block tensioner that goes on the drop out. The fender will come back but bobbed below the seat stays. It was interfering with the chain and I do love the look of that 3" wide street bike tread. I bailed the right hand rear reflector for a vertical mount plate that I custom engraved in plastic to fit the bicycle plate frames they sell in the store. Might have to convert that over to a RRB plate eventually. The plate reads "SO LONG" which doesn't make sense unless you see the bike from the side, then it's funny. I have a different stem with a flat face and have my eyes on some new bars. These are only 9" rise and I can order some fairly cheap that are 12". A single round mirror for safety and asthetics and a pair of Oury grips (look like rectangular hand grenades).

Wanted to get this posted since I joined and introduced my self. Hopefully better pics will follow soon. The bike is layed up right now as I am working on the fender bob and have to keep pulling the back wheel. When it's done the fender will be completely frame mounted, whereas right now the supports attach to the axle. Any questions, let em fly. If I can help anyone, that's part of why I came here. It was the help of others that got my bike this far. I would like to pass on some of the good will.

Since I haven't been able to work on the bike I went and snapped a picture of the plate, kind of a little teaser. Shot it yesterday, then didn't put it up because I thought I was going to work on the bike last night. But bad weather and other things around the house come first. So here's a bump for myself until I can get some more work done.

This is the plastic stuff that desk name plates are made of. We have a LOT of color combos at my shop but most would just look gaudy so I was going for something that looked like KS antique plates. They are solid white with blue lettering and very plain looking. And sorry, there is no bike club in Pittsburg by that name. I figured if anyone ever asked and was interested in starting a club, the name was general enough to allow all biker (mountain, road, motored, etc.).

bicycleplatemounted-screen.jpg

Not trying to under-mind Rat Rod's new plates. I really just cut this thing like two days before he posted those on the main page.

Another update instead of finished pics. Maybe if I plan NOT to work on the bike my schedule will just open up and the bike will finish itself. I trimmed the fender.

choppedfender.jpg

Refer to original pics to see that it used to come down to the chain stays. It also was held by the axle nuts so it interfered with the kickstand and would not work well with my chain tensioner. So I trimmed the ends of the supports and re-drilled them.

fenderstrutsandhardware.jpg

No they are not perfectly centered. I work more with wood and I was trying to hold it up to the drill press. The hardware is a mix of zinc and nickel. I'm just trying to avoid SS because it will never rust to match the frame. :mrgreen: Not that I will leave the bike out to age it but eventually they will get some "color" to them. I think the acorn nuts will definitely look nice. From the sitting on picture you can see that it is close...except for two holes I have to drill through 3/16" drop outs.

fendersittinginplace.jpg

Not such a big deal except I can't just pick up the bike and hold it under the drill press. Drilling metal by hand is one of my least favorite parts of customizing. I guess if it was so easy everybody would be doing it. I also have a pair of Oury grips I'm going to put on, can't wait for new bars. I'll have to post up a pic of the motorcycle projector light I found on the side of the road. It will take a bit of work to make it into a functioning light but it was a very useful find. I also broke the clip on my red LED badge that I wear near/at dark which was a bummer, until I realized it should bolt up to my tail reflector bracket. Kind of changes the time period appearance but a ready to go safety light means I will actually use it instead of planning to install an LED into the reflector. I was ready to do it too, but who knows how long that would take to actually happen.

Intriguing. With no welding experience myself I was unaware of this. I was not involved in the process. The family friend is a long time professional so I'm sure he was cautious. Doubt he was using a positive pressure mask or anything of the sort but he sure didn't mention any of it to me. Your post sounded a little strong but a quick search definitely shows nearly everyone that welds galvanized experiences the "fume sickness." Amazing what you learn in the course of the day. I could have easily gone grinding on the finish only to end up with a mysterious illness with no clue. Luckily I slapped some clear coat on it and let it be part of the appearance.

Its looking good :mrgreen: ...Where did you get your handle bars?

They are actually just BMX bars with the center bar removed. The "before" picture probably isn't good enough to see but on the right hand bar the round grind mark is still visible. I clear coated them rust and all to match the frame.

I had originally read of doing that and thought it would never be good enough for me. The bars wouldn't be tall enough and there wouldn't be near the level of sweep compared to what you see on some bikes. Then I realized I would have to piece the bike together and make due until I could buy a good pair. These are actually off of a girl's bike hence the stronger sweep. I thought they would be too week and when the bike was shorter and I could stand up and pedal, then I could feel them flex. I can still stand up on this bike if I want but it's WAY too much work so they don't take as much stress and I don't feel the flex anymore. They work for now but I definitely want my hands at more of an angle like I see motorcycle bars. Amazing how much different I want each of my bikes but they are all meant to do different jobs.

So I finally got the fender finished up. I guess some sharp bits and a little oil for cutting made the job go easy. So the fender is there. I can't help but feel it under minds the tire, but I went to the trouble so it will stay for now. The point is that I can service my rear wheel with not interference from any of the fender mounting hardware. The way it should have been in the first place.

mountedfendernowheel.jpg

Weather I really like it or not, the bike looks pretty good for now. I got a pair of 175mm cranks which I thought would be too much but they give me great pedaling ability at higher speeds. I can still pedal at low speeds but my feet don't go flying off going down a slight hill.

finishedfenderrightside.jpg

I think this is most of it until I can get taller bars. I included a tail end shot to show the reflector (not LED yet), plate and fender mounting. Also chain tensioner and rear mounted kick stand which still works fine for this bike.

tailendgoodies.jpg

In case you are not familiar with Oury grips, here they are with my Redline bar plugs. There, now I can say I have Redline parts on my bike so it's race inspired. Wish it were a pair of their cranks. I have these grips on my MTB for years and don't ride with gloves, even on the trails. And they make them in every color of the rainbow and then some.

ourygrips.jpg

And finally the broken motorcycle headlight I found. I removed the outer housing and this is the gem I pulled from the wreckage. Will it ever make anything, I don't know. But a front and read LED light setup would be nice and fairly easy to maintain. This will be more an issue of cutting it down and fabbing a bracket. Time will tell.

foundprojectorlense.jpg

Aww, I love this bike. I find every excuse I can to go around a couple of blocks. It really is comfortable to ride and something uniquely my own. Now just look at all that room for a 4 cycle with centrifugal clutch and a jack shaft to three speed hub. Add some disk brakes and it will be ready to be my in town commuter. Until then I am quite content to pedal around the neighborhood and embarrass the kids to death. Knowing the cost of motored bike kits I think it's going to stay a pedaler for some time to come.

haha nice light..
my pa has abunch of lights laying around in a box i was gonna use em if i ever get to build a chopper :D

So a while back I spent the time to hand paint the whitewall on the tires. I found a small velcro pouch that I sewed straps on and made a bar bag for a few simple tools. I even took the bike down to a local building and took pictures in front of the brick wall. The sunset would have almost ruined the pictures but added a nice touch to this one. I put that picture up on my board at work so I can look at it every day. Then I realized the "finished" picture I left on my only build thread looked quite poor. So I'm finally back to give a better final pic.

sideview-whitewalls-screen.jpg

I really liked the look of the bare black wall tire in post #1 but the fender was necessary and the whitewalls definitely give it a whole different feel. The back was three coats of Killz Latex per side and the front was two layers of paint pen. Other than eventually changing the bars I guess that's it. I consider the whitewalls part of the "build" as it changes the bike dramatically and were part of the original plan. I have chosen to not add any color for now, maybe ever. And though I plan on changing bars they will be just a little taller. More of an adjustment than a restyle.

just a note on welding galv.. you always grind or sand or however ya want to remove the galv.. I generly sand or file in off to bare medal. now ya can weld all day. I never weld inside, always outside and never had a problem.

your bike turned out real nice. great job.

Outlaw 8)

Yes, the head tube was my biggest concern when I picked the bike up. Both halves of the bike were clocked forward making it sharper than the original frame. But the bike rides nice, very responsive and sharp. Basic measurements in Photoshop look no worse than a BMX frame. I had originally worried that I would have to have the frame reworked but it turned out fine. Definitely will be laid back more on the next one.

Back