Wide 20" tire... cheap, partial review

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thought I would share what my tires turned out like on the rim.

IMG-20120223-00354.jpg

IMG-20120223-00355.jpg

Will these beefy shoes fit the average BMX-style bike? What would you need to do to make it work!

This place is SO BAD for my garage!!!! I need at least two more....garages that is!

Very cool looking.
Thanks for posting them with the reference bike and wheels behind it.
Now I wish I would have picked up the 20" 5 speed rim and shifter in the For Sale section last night.
I still have a few new and used OCC tires that I could try.

Wow, I should've put a tube in my tire and blown it up! I doubt that will fit on a regular frame, but they should work on my trike!

If they would fit a regular BMX frame it would be instant baby Sand Rover. If you have the width, just extand the dropouts and that would be a sweet little ride.

yhea... they will not fit in the front or back FOR sure! plans are to make some frame mods anyhow soo I am very pleased. Sorry i jumped in on your post. I was very excited to find these tires and wanted to share my out come. Thanks for the lead on these lil gems!

here is a link to our build

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=52647

So those are without tube? I was going to ask if you used one of those special wide tubes or just blew up a regular. If anyone can chip in experience in that department. I really want one of these tires but the special tube costs about twice as much as this tire shipped. Hoping you can just over-inflate a standard tube.

I bet that regular tubes could work, but they may be stretched out a bit too much.
Just pump up a regular 20" tube by itself and see how much it expands.
It may be worth a try.

Yeah, a normal tube out of the tire blows up pretty big but with the posted one for that cheap I would buy the right size. Just hadn't seen that one. So, anyone with this thing mounted, care to give us a width measurement? I imagine my WCC frame would hold it but the crank would need to be modified to bring the chain out. Something being discussed in another thread right now. I would just have to be certain it would fit before I order one. There's still 4 left! Who can measure the size please?

Thank you for the link. I was waiting for someone to post more in this thread but it was getting taken care of in yours.

I am envious of your work with your daughter. Mine like the things I build but neither will come out and do the work. They both like to ride bikes but neither are excited about going for a ride with dad on his "chopper".

A regular tube wont work. I believe surly makes a mtb with tires like that in 26 inch. Youd need to widen whell mounts about an inch and a half on both sides. A bmx would look beasty wirh a set of those. If this is going to be in the front, i can only imagine what would go on the back of whatever your fixing up.

Back