what is your favorite sprocket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put me in line bro when you get to designing! Might want to raise the prices a little from the vintage ad! I'm sure you could come up with something I will want with my logo on it.

Found this pic in a magazine last night, sorry for the blurry photo but it was super small, looks like a cool chainring though!

11429556806_02893f3b1e_m.jpg

Luke.

How much are these ball park? Also, I'm pretty sure you meant 3 kW rather than 3,000 kW, coz that would just be...wow. I don't even want to think about it. We've got a 5 kW and 2.5 kW CO2 we're using to make nanotubes.

How much are these ball park? Also, I'm pretty sure you meant 3 kW rather than 3,000 kW, coz that would just be...wow. I don't even want to think about it. We've got a 5 kW and 2.5 kW CO2 we're using to make nanotubes.

$0.50 a tooth plus shipping.

You are correct it is 3 kw or 3,000 watt.

Put me in line bro when you get to designing! Might want to raise the prices a little from the vintage ad! I'm sure you could come up with something I will want with my logo on it.

If I go forward with the guard project it will be an assembly required item. Basically you would get the outer plate with top and bottom flats formed and the front curve would have to be welded on by buyer.

Do these sprockets need to be hardened at all after they are cut? I run a laser cutter as well and have thought about making a custom one for my bike, but I was concerned that the sprocket wouldn't be strong enough and would get worn down too quickly by the chain. I considered using hardened plate to begin with, but I thought the heat from the laser cutting would soften the edge of the material slightly, so the sprocket would need to be heat treated afterward anyway.

Also, do I need to have a beveled edge like a stock chainring? Maybe I'm just thinking too much into it.

Do these sprockets need to be hardened at all after they are cut? I run a laser cutter as well and have thought about making a custom one for my bike, but I was concerned that the sprocket wouldn't be strong enough and would get worn down too quickly by the chain. I considered using hardened plate to begin with, but I thought the heat from the laser cutting would soften the edge of the material slightly, so the sprocket would need to be heat treated afterward anyway.

Also, do I need to have a beveled edge like a stock chainring? Maybe I'm just thinking too much into it.

I was wondering the same thing. Something tells me that typical big box chainrings are not hardened steel, but the beveled edge does seem like it would be important.

Back