what is your favorite sprocket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do these sprockets need to be hardened at all after they are cut? I run a laser cutter as well and have thought about making a custom one for my bike, but I was concerned that the sprocket wouldn't be strong enough and would get worn down too quickly by the chain. I considered using hardened plate to begin with, but I thought the heat from the laser cutting would soften the edge of the material slightly, so the sprocket would need to be heat treated afterward anyway.

Also, do I need to have a beveled edge like a stock chainring? Maybe I'm just thinking too much into it.

I looked at new ones on line and the only thing that is beveled is the tip of the tooth.

All of my sprockets on my bikes just have the tips of the teeth beveled. I would be really surprised if a standard steel sprocket for your everyday bike was hardened. But I am no expert. I have two of these custom sprockets & another on the way. They are plenty beefy for my applications.

I also finally got this one installed on a bike. Perfect fit. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic but my camera died.

Sorry man! Combination of shakey old man & a smart phone that is a heck of a lot smarter than I.
Actually I wasn't joking, love the sprocket on the bike...

Luke.

Not much help to ya Jon, but I like all three! But, then again, you know how I am.

I would go for #2 on the star sprockets ....

Personally I would to copy some muscle wheels too

1004phr_10_o%2Bcool_wheels_for_muscle_cars%2Bmopar_warrior.jpg

The hot rodder in my has always liked the Schwinn mag wheel looking sprockets. I used the Schwinn MAG 5 speed sprocket, from the Schwinn Sting-Ray Fastbacks, for my muscle bike build-off bike.

I sandblasted the center section to give it that old school mag look.

Reminds me of the torq thrust wheels, I always liked them. Great build by the way!

The hot rodder in my has always liked the Schwinn mag wheel looking sprockets. I used the Schwinn MAG 5 speed sprocket, from the Schwinn Sting-Ray Fastbacks, for my muscle bike build-off bike.

I sandblasted the center section to give it that old school mag look.

One I drew up a couple weeks ago. Like the sandblasted look.

One I drew up a couple weeks ago. Like the sandblasted look.

The inverse of this one would be cool too, so that the spokes had the trailing lines rather than the holes having the trailing lines.

Back