Well I guess I have a Pitbull

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive never had a pitbull, but I know plenty that do and they all seem mild mannered unless provoked, then its a different story. I show up at strangers houses and tow yards all day for work. In the last 8 years Ive been bit 3 times ...

1st time, choclate lab at a body shop ... it was trained to keep people out of the shop unless the dogs owner was there, then you were fine, i stuck my head in the door to see where the guy was at, the dog nipped me in back of the leg ... i never knew she was there til then, that was my warning i guess :lol:

2nd time, Chow at a tow yard ... the dog was raised mean. It was chained up behind the building in the fenced in storage lot, you were out of reach where the cars were at though, Id been there a million times and knew where was safe. The shop was cleaning up the abandoned cars and temporarily relocated the dogs chain. It was too late before I realized I was in range ... i couldnt avoid it ... id been bit. Lost a good pair of jeans that day and got a little roughed up. The dog made out without a scratch though :mrgreen:

3rd Time, rat terrior at a residence ... pulled up to the house, dog came out, talked to the dog, dog wagged its stubby tail, walked to the car i was supposed to look at and BAM. right in the back off the ankle. Repeatedly, shake him loose, hed hit the other one, chased me about 30 feet or so and probably nailed me about 5 times before i got back to my car. Little booger was jumping window high too, barking snapping and growling. I called the people from my car about the dog, they told me it was there neighbors dog, but they came outside, said the dogs name and he went in there house right away :roll:

Had a friend show up last night after dark. Before I could get outside the dog met him and just wagged her tail and sat down by him. Whew, big relief. Had 4 other guys out tonight, the heater wasn't working, and she never even looked at them, except for wanting a little petting. So far so good. Dean (oh, and the heater is fixed)

great looking dog dumpster!!! we have 2 black cocker spaniels, one is 4, and the other is 11. there is only about 6 people other me and my wife that they love, anyone else, no good!! :D the 4 year old was abused when he was a pup, threw against walls etc. it took us 2 hours solid w/treats sitting on the floor w/him to earn some trust when we first got him. now hes the most loving dog to us that could be. the eleven year old is about the same when it comes to people he likes. we bought(rescued) him from a local pet store. the reason i say rescued, he was setting in a cage, no food, no water, dirty cage we felt so sorry for him so we dug through my wallet and wifes purse to come up w/ the money, this was 10 years ago. he is our baby, just had his eye removed yesterday due to glaucoma. he has had 2 major surgerys for broken legs and a ruptered acl. made many a trip to purdue university w/ this guy. needless to say, i have bought a few text books at that school!!! :lol: :lol:

Our local paper just published an article yesterday on pit bulls. A new pitbull ordinance goes in to effect here on the 1st.
Here's some stats but they don't compare it to other breeds...
* The number of pit bulls running loose jumped to 1,297 through October, compared to 1,279 last year.
* The city investigated 156 pit bull attacks (118 in 2008).
* The city received 139 calls about pit bull bites (128 in 2008).

Article here http://www.kansas.com/topstories/story/1094904.html

based on real statistics
http://www.fataldogattacks.com/
http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/dog-bites/
It should be noted that none of these studies conducted in the 1970s make mention of the Pit bull or the Rottweiler.
Beginning in the middle 1980s, dog bite studies began to focus on only one aspect of dog bites: Breed. Two studies in particular have been used extensively as “evidence” against “pit bulls:”
1. “Are ‘Pit Bulls’ Different? An analysis of the Pit Bull Terrier Controversy”, Lockwood, R, and Rindy, K. Anthrozoos, Volume 1, Number 1 pg. 2-8.
2. “Breeds of Dogs Involved in Fatal Human Attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998″ Sacks, JJ, Sinclair, L, Gilchrist J, Golab G, Lockwood R. JAVMA Vol. 217, 2000. (Center for Disease Control or CDC Study)

See NCRC analysis of both studies: Wrong Numbers…Not Statistics

The Centers for Disease Control Studies on Fatal Dog Attacks: 1979 – 1998

The CDC stopped tracking dog attacks by breed in 1998. They understand that such tabulations are not science and are no basis for public policy. NCRC-AVMA-CDC-statement

The American Veterinary Medical Assocation has this to say on its website about the CDC study: ”Breed-specific approaches to dog bite prevention were found to be problematic in concept as well as in implementation, while many practical alternatives exist and hold promise for prevention of dog bites.”

Read the full AVMA statement: pdficon_large16 AVMA statement on CDC study

A New Study Finds English Cocker Spaniels as the most “aggressive breed.”

COMMENT: NCRC agrees with Dr. Randall Lockwood* of the ASPCA. In 2007, Dr. Lockwood submitted an affidavit in opposition to the breed ban currently in effect in Denver, Colorado. He stated, in part: “Focusing on a single breed as the ‘source’ of the dog bite problem reflects a 19th century epidemiological mindset . . . The dog bite problem is not a disease problem with a single vector, it is a complex societal issue that must address a wide range of human behaviors in ways that deal with irresponsible behavior that puts people and animals at risk.”

*Dr. Lockwood is a co-author of “Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998,” JAVMA, Vol 217, No. 6, September 15, 2000. Also, he was a member of American Veterinary Medical Association Task force on Canine Aggression and Human-Canine Interactions which produced “A community approach to dog bite prevention,” JAVMA, Vol 218, No. 11, June 11, 2001.

World’s Meanest Dog: The English Cocker Spaniel?
Jennifer Viegas, Discovery News

May 22, 2009 — A floppy-eared, innocent-looking breed may be one of the world’s most aggressive dogs, according to a new study that found English cocker spaniels tend to be more hostile than other breeds.

“In our country and according to our database, the English cocker spaniel is the breed that shows more aggression problems,” lead author Marta Amat told Discovery News.

Amat, a researcher in the School of Veterinary Medicine at the Autonomous University of Barcelona, and her colleagues analyzed 1,040 cases of canine aggression brought to a nearby veterinary teaching hospital from 1998 to 2006. Of those cases, the majority of cases were attributed to English cocker spaniels, Rottweilers, Boxers, Yorkshire terriers and German shepherds.

Probing the data further, Amat and her team discovered that English cocker spaniels were more likely than other dogs to act aggressively toward their owners as well as unfamiliar people. In contrast, dogs with reported behavior problems from other breeds tended to act aggressively toward other dogs. Among the English cocker spaniels, golden varieties and males were found to be the most hostile.

The findings, published in the latest Journal of Veterinary Behavior, confirm an earlier study conducted by a separate Spanish team from the University of Cordoba, which also found males and golden English cocker spaniels were more aggressive than females or those with black and mixed-color coats.

In terms of coat color, Amat explained that the coat pigment melanin shares a common biochemical pathway with dopamine and other brain chemicals involved in the control of aggressive behavior.

Amat also noted that “inadequate handling by the owners due to their lack of information on dog behavior” is a contributing factor.

Other experts place even more blame on caretakers, suggesting there are no born-to-be-bad dogs, only bad owners.

Joaquin Perez-Guisado of the University of Cordoba led one of the earlier studies on English cocker spaniels and is the lead author of a new Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances study that found poor training by owners predicted aggressive behavior in 711 test subjects from a variety of breeds.

Taking all possible reasons into consideration, he and his team found that 40 percent of dominance aggression in dogs is associated with a lack of authority on the part of owners, who performed no, or minimal, obedience training.

According to Perez-Guisado and his team, “dogs that are trained properly do not normally retain aggressive dominance behavior.”

Members of the English Cocker Spaniel Club of America appear to agree. They describe their favorite breed as being “a homebody” that is “typically affectionate, loyal and reserved with strangers.”

National Canine Research Council

thanks sensor for posting that i totally agree. it became cool to own one of these dogs as of late and a lot of owners think it is cool to have a tough one. i have seen so many that were wearing huge heavy chains around their necks, ears croped, ect..... they are great dogs not for everyone for sure but please just dont blast the breed. there are lots of pit MIX dogs out there too wonder if they pin whatever the other breed the dog is mixed with as to blame for attacking? like i said before anyone feel free to come out and meet my mean vicious pit bull.....then decide. i dont much like little dogs because a lot are biters, not saying they are all bad i have met plenty that were cool but i just dont like them. i also dont like akitas as i have heard of many turning suddenly and attacking their owners for no reason. pits get a bad wrap plain and simple cause when one DOES bite it is really bad they are super powerful.

My experience has been that when little old ladies use "cute" little working dogs, like terriers and border collies, as house pets, they become the meanest :x little sob's around. Fortunately, they can't carry a pit bull's chew bone. :p

deorman said:
My experience has been that when little old ladies use "cute" little working dogs, like terriers and border collies, as house pets, they become the meanest :x little sob's around. Fortunately, they can't carry a pit bull's chew bone. :p

Having a border collie as a house pet doesn't make a bit of sense.

Regarding the posted statistics, I could easily come up with a dozen other sources that say things completely different, but I won't bother. I have 3 loaded guns (in a cabinet) in my house and I still feel safer with my kid around them than around a pit bull. But whatever floats your boat.

I suppose any dog is capable of turning on it's owner or someone else.

It seems to be more of a case of how much damage can that particular dog do if it does attack someone.

I gotta say...I'd much rather be on the biting end of a Cocker Spaniel than a Pit Bull if they did decide to turn on ya. :shock:

deorman said:
The best dogs for house pets, are the ones whose ears perk and tails wag at you while waiting in the euthanasia cages. :wink:

That I would mostly agree with, from a humanitarian standpoint, but then again you have to wonder why they are in those cages...Might just be a poor innocent animal that was dumped, of no harm to anyone and only wanting a home, or it might be there because it bit somebody and the owner didn't have the stomach to put it down themselves. I'd say if they perk up and wag their tails it's a good sign though.

Here's some pictures of her. She's been here since Dec. 3rd. Couldn't ask for a better dog. She follows me everywhere. Dean
100_0960.jpg

100_0897.jpg

100_0933.jpg

100_0940.jpg

100_0902.jpg

good looking dogs! I feel ya, I live rural as well - I have 4 dogs, and only really wanted 1. I have found many dogs homes, and am guilty of taking a few to the pound that I could not afford, or find a home for. People that dump dogs need a good kick in the teeth. Glad you kept her, truly great looking pooch! I have known a lot of dogs, the only dog I was ever truly scared of was 1/2 pit, 1/2 timberwolf named Tank. It bit at least 12 people I knew - it never bit me, but I never took my eyes off him. My big red dog has stage 3 cancer in his jaw - the doc will not operate - so its a waiting game and I tell you it's tough. He truly is a best friend - he's a dog that "just get's it" - seems smarter than all other dogs I have owned. Dogs know you like no other - the do not care if they look like crap, or are dirty, or even hungry, etc. They ONLY want love, and for the most part put that above everything else. I have been bit by two dogs - both my fault - a doberman, and a pit.

My big red dog Huff:
me_02.jpg

It seems like that you only have a couple in life that are in that really special catagorie . I lost mine and even though I got another ,its nowhere close to my really special one. Glad some of you are finding that something special and for those that loose one ,I really know how you feel.

After all the horrible cases in England with them the guide lines are pretty strict .....
They must be neutered.
They must be insured.
They must be muzzled and kept on a lead in public.
They must be microchipped.
They must be registered.

The Dangerous Dogs Act was introduced in the early 1990s so logically, as breeding Pit Bulls is not possible due to the requirement to neuter, the breed should die out in the UK in a generation.

They are still being bred everyone knows that. They are still being put to fights, everyone knows that. And sadly, they are still maiming and killing children, its such a shame but they have so much power. :cry:

To add, I didnt want to sound totaly negative! Well done for rescuing the dog...No one wants to see a dog suffer... hope it works out for you! ....We own a hunting dog, a Lurcher, Greyhound x Bedlington x Deerhound... pure hunting machine but as gentle as a lamb ...and about as brainy :D !
Here she is on the scent...
STP80347.jpg

And at full pelt...
STP80301.jpg

Do you guys in the States have lurchers?

Back