Well I guess I have a Pitbull

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some scum sucking boot licking cheese eating piece of crap dumped another dog, and she ended up at my front door. I live in the country, and I guess it's the place to dump unwanted animals. This is the fourth dog to show up here, I found homes for the other ones. I saw this dog Monday on the way to work. I leave early, 4.30am. I saw her about 2 miles away from the house. She ran off into a field. I knew she was dumped. Well Thursday night she showed up on the front porch. At first she wouldn't come up to anyone. She's very skinny, ribs and spine sticking out. Well she stayed the night in front of the garage door, and was still there when I came home from work. My wife had fed her. She started to come up to us. A big concern was how she would take to our inside dog, a Shih Tzu. Well they get along great. Looks like we will keep her. Pitbulls have a bad rap here, so I know she would be put down. I built her a dog house yesterday. She likes it. She spent the day in the shop with me, mostly just laid on the blanket I put down for her. Couldn't ask for a better dog. She just had puppies, but I don't know what happened to them. The wife named her Bear. She was worried at first, everyone is telling her not to keep her, they say she will turn on you, I say crap, it's all in letting them know who's the boss. She listens to me, and my wife. She sits, and shakes hands. No aggression at all. Her tail is up now to, it was between her legs. She still cowers some times, you can tell she was beat, but when I get down to her level ,she wags her tail, and comes right up to me. I'll get pictures at a later date. I did check the lost dog adds with know luck. Dean

theyre amazingly loyal and friendly dogs........BUT i would keep a close eye on her around the other dog until they get to know each other better just to be safe(not because its a pit....id do that with any new dog coming into a house thats already got a dog)

All dogs are individuals but generally speaking, I've seen more problems with pit bulls getting along with other animals (of all types) than with humans. Good on you for helping this abandoned pet. :wink: And as you said, once you understand the dominance thing, controlling most any dog is not that much of a problem. Gary

Pitbulls have a bad reputation, and it's well deserved. A friend of mine bred them for several years, he swore there was nothing inherently wong with the breed, that it was all bad owners, neglect, etc. We would go back and forth about it, he always told me I was nuts, that I believed everything I saw on TV or read in the paper. That was until one of his female pitbills attacked his 8 year old son. Poor kid needed I forget how many stiches in his arm, dog really chewed him up, but thankfully didn't get his face. After that my friend went out with his .357 (he lives out in the country too) and personally put down all 4 of his pitbulls, and we haven't had that argument since.

Personally, I'd be more confortable with my child being in the same house with a loaded gun than with a pitbull.

cant speak for all of them(since every dog has a different temperament) but weve had 2 so far and not a problem with either of them ever(yes i watched them around my son when we got the newest since she was a year old when we got her)......heck my labs more prone to attack some one than our pit....
ive had problems with frat boys and red necks before(too many fights to recall) maybe they should all be put down too?

sensor said:
cant speak for all of them(since every dog has a different temperament) but weve had 2 so far and not a problem with either of them ever(yes i watched them around my son when we got the newest since she was a year old when we got her)......heck my labs more prone to attack some one than our pit....
ive had problems with frat boys and red necks before(too many fights to recall) maybe they should all be put down too?

Again, I've heard the argument that not all pitbulls are bad, mine is great, etc. many times. Basically, if you feel you have to point out that your dog DOESN'T attack people, it's because the general perception is that it DOES, or WILL, and this perception is borne out by the facts. It isn't just pitbulls, it's rottwellers, dobermans, to a lesser degree German sheperds, and others, but the pitbull's nasty reputation is well earned. Like I said above, I know a guy who bred them for years, and he told me over and over, the breed isn't inherently dangerous, but once one of them turned, he had no qualms whatsoever with personally putting a .357 slug into each of their heads.

As far as rednecks, as long as they aren't armed and drunk, their bark is worse than their bite. Trust me, I used to run around on a Vespa..I know all about rednecks. Best to just smile and wave, that ticks them off more than anything.

good for you for helping this dog. we run a non- for profit animal rescue in our town and see alot of abandoned animals here also. yes, they do get a bad name, as do other breeds. you have to remember, they are " animals". also, the more an animal is bred over and over the worse their temperment, health lines, etc. gets.

I thought Pitbulls where bread for hurding cattle and fighting. I have had a cousin get attacked by a pitbull that he knew for years, and man it ripped his arm and face up, it was because he had brought a cat home with him and was on his front porch feeding the cat an the dog went nuts. Also a friend had a pitt that took his daughters eye. They dont just bite there jaws lock on then your just there for the ride. Just be careful man watch your back, and dont let him pee on your tires

Pitts are a very hard breed to figure out, that alone makes me very wary of them. For the most part they are wanted mostly for fighting, and protection. Drug dealers love them for just those two reasons. Dobermans (in my opinion) have been over bred. In all my dealings with pure bred dogs, the German Shepard is the most gentle and loyal breed that you can get. My autistic son can attest to this fact. 'Riggs', my Shepard is the biggest doof on the planet, but don't EVER mess with what is his... 8)

That's good you're providing a home for the dog and I hope it works out.

I deal with dogs daily in my work and a lot of them Pitbulls and they're not being raised as family pets. I was cornered for a little while just last week by one. The thoughts that run through my head... Where's he going to bite? How bad is it going to hurt? What limb do I sacrifice to him? Will he bite and run or continue to chew on me? Luckily the owner finally intervened. I've been bitten 5 or so times (not counting ankle biters that didn't break the skin) and attacked many times. Never bitten by a Pitbull thankfully. I think I've been bitten by more Chows than anything and those were years ago. Seems I don't see near as many Chows as I used to. Last bite I recall was some spotted bird dog can't recall the breed.
My Dad also encountered dogs daily in his work and more so than I do. I remember as a kid him coming home many times with dog bites. The worst I recall the dog took him to the ground and worked him over good. He had to get stitches in his face and neck. I can't recall the breed for sure.

Any breed of dog will attack and bite it's just that some like the Pitbull have the potential to do so much damage or kill.

People tell me "he don't bite" and I ask "how does he eat then?" I had a lady tell me as she was trying to hold her agitated dog back "he won't bite" and the dog turned and bit her good on the arm.

My parents used to have a Rottweiler as a neighbor. Friendly as can be but while petting him and looking at that big head I couldn't help but think what if I pet/scratch him some place he has a sore or his brain short circuits for a sec or something sets him off.

Almost any type of animal will attack given the right circumstances.I have a pit and a few wolf hybrids. My pit sleeps my bed. My cat will bite you before my pit does.The other dogs including the 4 other mutts stay out.If you want to see a tempramental dog, get a wolf mix. The more wolf in them, the worse they are.Some animals just shouldnt be around everyone.Some people should never have animals.

WOW! you said a mouthfull there! :D
bits n pieces said:
Almost any type of animal will attack given the right circumstances.I have a pit and a few wolf hybrids. My pit sleeps my bed. My cat will bite you before my pit does.The other dogs including the 4 other mutts stay out.If you want to see a tempramental dog, get a wolf mix. The more wolf in them, the worse they are.Some animals just shouldnt be around everyone.Some people should never have animals.

mastronaut said:
Pitts are a very hard breed to figure out, that alone makes me very wary of them. For the most part they are wanted mostly for fighting, and protection. Drug dealers love them for just those two reasons. Dobermans (in my opinion) have been over bred. In all my dealings with pure bred dogs, the German Shepard is the most gentle and loyal breed that you can get. My autistic son can attest to this fact. 'Riggs', my Shepard is the biggest doof on the planet, but don't EVER mess with what is his... 8)

My aunt and uncle have a German sheperd...Thay have an aggressive streak in them, but it's alot more controllable...They aren't so unpredictably vicious like a pitbull; They can be trained to switch the aggressiveness on and off like a switch, and direct at a specific target (person), that's why they are so highly prized by the police and military. My best friend had one way back too..She was the most docile animal you can imagine. Just a big, happy dog that was thrilled to be around anyone who would play with her.

well since my post got deleted guess i cant have an opinion all i will say is any dog can attack. sorry for those who have been attacked but they are not all bad. nuff said

karfer67 said:
well since my post got deleted guess i cant have an opinion all i will say is any dog can attack. sorry for those who have been attacked but they are not all bad. nuff said

Any dog can attack. This is true. The question is though, how many actually DO? More to the point, how many specific BREEDS of dog are KNOWN for attacking? The pitbull is way up there on that list.

Just take Norm MacDonald's advice and get a weiner dog! (paraphrasing)"A big dog'll rip your throat out in your sleep. A weiner dog, well you'll wake up at least! -'Hey there, stop biting my neck you silly weiner dog you!' " :lol:

The few pits I have known personally never showed any signs of viciousness, but even a friendly play-nip will draw blood, so horse play is pretty much out. Hope it all works out OK.

So far so good. She's just a big teddy bear. Eats like a darn horse though. It's cold here, high 20's. I bought her a sweater, she actually likes it. She stays in her dog house most of the time. Knock on wood here, she hasn't made a sound, no barking or any thing. I wish it was summer time so I could spend more time with her. She spent all day Sunday in the shop with me. I put a blanket down for her, and that's pretty much where she stayed. At first the grinding and some other noises bothered her, but she ignored it fairly quickly. Dean

heres ours, he is very loyal and hates everyone else....they tap on the fence etc.
great dogs to have!

S5000908-1.jpg

Back