The Huffman, Final photos went a little pic crazy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is what I'll be starting with my 1945 build Huffman Dixie-Flyer. I intend to do a straight forward rebuild on the bike, and to see whats under the gray spray paint if theirs any original paint left I'm going to try to save as much of it as I can. But if not then I might consider a repaint, still not sure yet.
IMG_7990_zpshnlbcgxp.jpg

IMG_7989_zpsbnt1mpdp.jpg

IMG_7988_zpsjbx0pusp.jpg

IMG_7992_zpskf2otpcu.jpg

IMG_7991_zpsl0uct32u.jpg

Last edited:
So I was looking around the old interwebs, when I found this on the cabe forums.
Page8_zpscb38e070-1_zpsq3ehku22.jpg

-1_zpsmxepxko8.jpg

my bike has the same head badge as the bottom bike but not the top one, they were saying 1941-42. So if any one has more info on my bike that would be awesome, my serial number is H530904.

Hope you find some cool paint under the shades of gray.
That ad is some very cool inspiration.

Great starting point. Hope the paint revels it's self .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm betting this will be Cool. Build on young whipper snapper!!

Ok I started on my parts pile.
IMG_8172_zpsixs9ezvl.jpg

I have these three crank sets, still on the fence about skip-tooth or no skip-tooth I love all these sprocket patterns, tell me what one you guys like the most.
IMG_8187_zpswmcj8vfj.jpg

This will be my skip-tooth rear wheel, a nice old Morrow hub these ride really nice but they have the worst braking pattern ever.
IMG_8186_zpscnwy8ilm.jpg

This is the wheel set that I will use if I decide to go non skip-tooth. A nice old pair of New Departure hubs.
IMG_8188_zpsayxljfgl.jpg

IMG_8189_zpspq7brqru.jpg

Thinking about painting the truss rods, chain-guard and light cream.
IMG_8173_zpsymqfnb2g.jpg

going to try repairing this light with bondo and fiberglass, but its pretty rusted out.
IMG_8175_zpssxwqvnx4.jpg

IMG_8177_zpsncqmfydg.jpg

IMG_8176_zpsptlsrpik.jpg

IMG_8178_zps9cuamzqz.jpg

IMG_8179_zpsj6hocemw.jpg

I'm missing the long bolt and wedge-nut that goes in this stem, if any one has one there willing to sell let me know.
IMG_8180_zpsth0h2d5d.jpg

Going to have this seat sand blasted and recovered.
IMG_8181_zpsfv6wakaq.jpg

IMG_8182_zps5rcbfxty.jpg

IMG_8183_zpswcxgzrza.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome starting point! I like the sweetheart skiptooth myself...

There was a thread a while back about someone cutting a piece out of a fender to replace the missing top cap on one of those lights, I bet you could do the same thing to replace the bottom that is rusted out...

Luke.

Top right sprocket reminds of the swirly fish/ yin yang fireworks, I'd use that if I didn't already have my drivetrain.

Top right sprocket reminds of the swirly fish/ yin yang fireworks, I'd use that if I didn't already have my drivetrain.

Ya I love that sprocket too, my dilemma is skip-tooth or no skip-tooth I have a weakness for sweetheart sprockets.

Awesome starting point! I like the sweetheart skiptooth myself...

There was a thread a while back about someone cutting a piece out of a fender to replace the missing top cap on one of those lights, I bet you could do the same thing to replace the bottom that is rusted out...

Luke.

Awesome idea on fixing that light.

That light looks like it will be a challenge for sure.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner there is original paint. I got off easy with the spray bomb job on this one, only one coat of paint was over the original paint.
IMG_8215_zpsg2mi1llx.jpg

IMG_8216_zpsdyclvexk.jpg

All the paint is gone of the top tubes, but the rest is in pretty good shape for how old the bike is.
IMG_8217_zpsqpwf94fc.jpg

IMG_8218_zpscu3p53op.jpg

IMG_8219_zpsiiucuzfa.jpg

IMG_8220_zpszmdwrskr.jpg

IMG_8221_zpsp03u1xtl.jpg

I'm only half way done with the front fender, but it looks promising I don't know if you can tell but the dart on the front fender is visible through the spray paint.
IMG_8222_zps8z07qtdq.jpg

IMG_8223_zpss6nkakuf.jpg

My plan moving forward is to have the fenders reshaped by a local motorcycle shop, and I'm thinking of leaving the old ruffed up paint but having all the pin striping redone.

Last edited:
That old paint is sweet patina and those bare spots are a perfect canvas for some cool pinstriping.

Latest posts

Back