The Galtbacken 18

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the comments guys! :lol:

Today I chose a new spot to put up my mobile workshop (i.e. park my car), and the road there got narrower and worse and for a moment I wondered if I'd get stuck but then I found a perfect place to do some bikebuilding. This place was even more remote than the one I chose for my creative outlet yesterday, but there just seem to be people everywhere around here! :shock: In the middle of the woods, on a tiny dirt road, not much more than two wheel tracks on the ground, and a big white Mercedes drove by! :lol: Later two ladies rode by on horseback.

But that didn't stop me!! :D

Todays progress involved some more filler where needed after the first sanding followed by more sanding.
Sliparam4.jpg

Sliparam5.jpg

Still a couple of spots that might need some more filler and sanding, but not today. Maybe tomorrow, and if the weather is good I might also be able to start painting the frame! :)

More to come!

do they have storage places in your neck of the woods? if so, just find the cheapest one and work out of there. :lol: if you find the right one, the owner/managers could give you all the unclaimed bikes.

That's not at all a bad idea stretch! :) I don't know of any such facilities yet, but there might be some if I look around.

Today I filled and sanded a little more. It's not flawless by any means but it's good enough for me and I don't want to spend more time filling and sanding. :roll: So, I decided to paint a little!

Primer
Mlaram1.jpg

And some cream white.
Mlaram2.jpg

Next will be to mask off those white areas and paint some copper.

I'll keep you updated! :D

Great attitude my friend!
I used to find it hard to work under the eyes of people too, my garage is feets away from a restaurant across the street, and gets full just the same days I can work, weekends. You get used to it after a while, only trouble is sometimes folks are intrigued about what you´re doing and come over to ask questions and see the bikes... taking precious time away, but that´s cool.

May be some years from now kids will tell camp storys at night, of a man who build enchanted bikes in the forest :D

Gdcast said:
May be some years from now kids will tell camp storys at night, of a man who build enchanted bikes in the forest :D
And the other kids will say "nah, that's just a myth." :lol:

I think it's cool too that people seem to be so intrigued when they see someone building a bike! :) I don't mind too much if someone likes to watch when I build, I'm more worried about disturbing others with noice or paint fumes. Although often it's nice to work undisturbed too!

Today I masked off the white and painted the part of the frame that should be copper. No photos today because I forgot to bring the camera. :roll:
More photos when more has been done, if I remember to bring the camera... :D

Hey folks! :)

Had some time on my hands today, and the weather was nice, so I got some more painting done! AND I remembered to bring the camera! :D

Here's the copper paint I couldn't show any photos of the last time.
Mlaram3.jpg

And here's what I've done today:
First some masking.
Mlaram4.jpg

Sprayed some black.
Mlaram5.jpg

The result.
Mlaram7.jpg

Mlaram6.jpg

Next thing to do is to mask off and spraypaint the blue numbers, and then the high gloss clearcoat. We'll se when I get the opportunity to do that. :)
The rest of this evening will be spent doing some math and watching Speedway GP on television!! :D

All good 'til next time! :D

SICK!
Lär bli riktigt nice.
Om du är intresserad så kan jag ordna både elmotorer och påhängs bensin, (sånna som sitter i bakre navet som du ekrar fast i fälgen.

Inte dom tråkiga kina motorerna som sitter i ramen, kan fixa sånna oxå om du vill;)

MVH/

Well, I passed the last math exam for this term, and now I have pretty much free time until august. So after a week's rest from studies I've picked up the bike to finish it.

Yesterday I started on the frame graphics. Here's what I've done:
Printed out my designs and made sure to get the placement right on the masked area.
mlaram8.jpg

Cut the number 18 out with a sharp knife.
mlaram9.jpg

Sprayed some blue.
mlaram10.jpg

mlaram11.jpg

Traced my design onto the frame with a marker pen, same method as I used on the chainguard and rearlight box.
mlaram12.jpg

Grabbed my onorthodox little brush and painted it! :D
mlaram13.jpg

One side done, one to go! :) Have to let the paint dry a bit before I do the next side. If I'm lucky I can start on it this evening but while I wait I may sit down at the sewing machine and make some straps for the realight box or maybe make the handles. I guess I'll see what I feel up to... :D

Back