The Galtbacken 18

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without a doubt absolutely amazing! You have inspired me to slow down and hand fab some of the detail components. The light buckets, leather work, graphics, WOW. I might have to actually start painting some parts. I said might. Just Awesome. Thanks for the show.

Thank you so much guys! You've brought a big smile to my face! Feels good do something for the fun of it and at the same time get such nice comments! I'm glad if I can share some of my inspiration with you!

Here's the chainguard.
mlat21.jpg

mlat22.jpg

mlat23.jpg

When I fabricated it I had to hammer a little at the front because it warped from the heat when it was welded, but I couldn't get the worst bump out completely. Initially I planned to smooth it out with some filler, but then I decided not to. I thought that there may be a risk for the filler to crack and fall off if I'd hit the chainguard with my foot or something while riding the bike. So I left it as it is and I found that I don't mind that flaw too much. :)

After these photos were taken I've clearcoated it with a clossy enamel and the next step is to mask it, paint a gold pinstripe and shot it with satin finish clearcoat.

Hope to be back with more pics soon!

Are you kidding me? Dude your in the wrong profession, you should be a sign painter! Those guys make mad money, at least they do here in the States. Looks..... well, I'm speechless.

Later Travis

Hi Galt, that is looking marvelous!
I´m about to do a similar job on a tank, and I was wondering which technique you use to make those thin black stripes.
Probably pure non-shaking-hand skills and a cool brush I cant find in this market...

Thanks for the kind words! :)

Gdcast: I'll take a photo of the brush I'm using and post it tomorrow! I promise you it's nothing fancy...and nowhere near cool!! :lol: I've used an old worn out watercolour brush that I had lying around. I've painted with watercolours for a long time and I guess I've got a pretty steady hand but I find it a bit tricky to paint stripes. Very different brush technique from the way I paint with watercolours. I've never tried any real striping brushes, maybe that would make the job easier, but for now I'll just use what I've got and be happy with that. :)

Yeah, I know what you mean...
I´d tried to import some pinstriping brushes but shipment and taxes make it really expensive, more than the brushes them selves...
I try doing my strips with the longest brush I can find, unfortunately my hand isn´t that steady, although I´m getting better at it.
Well, we´ll soon see how it turns up, hopefully as nice as yours.

Brace yourself, here's the mighty brush!! :D

pensel1.jpg

pensel2.jpg

Hey Gdcast, use what you've got and do what you can and I'm sure it'll turn out nice! :)

The chainguard is d u n n done! :)

Masked off the black areas and painted a gold stripe along the edge of the mask.
mlat24.jpg

Then a couple of coats of satin finish clearcoat.
mlat25.jpg

The effect of the high gloss black against the satin finish copper/white/stripes is difficult to capture on camera, but here's one more try...
mlat26.jpg

Painted the light reflectors with chrome spray.
mlat27.jpg

That's all for now! Take care everybody! :)

Hello Galtbacken,

Been watching to see if there are any new updates but none.
Can you update us? It is looking so sweet.

Thanks,
Sludgeguy

GB, How is your build going? Kinda hanging out here waiting to see your next move. Hope all is well and Happy New Year.

Hey there guys! Thank you so much for waiting, and I'm glad you like the bike so far! :)
There's nothing to update yet though. I've been busy preparing for upcoming studies (getting the necessary degrees and fixing to sell my house and finding an appartment to rent and so on), so I haven't done anything on this build since the last update. Once things settle down a little I'll try to get some more done and hopefully finish it before spring. :)

Thanks again!

Happy New Year everybody!! I hope it'll be the best so far for all of you!

Happy new year!!!
And Godspeed on your life changing projects!!!
I now it gets hard sometimes, but it´s the right way to go :wink:

Hey there people! :D
I've finally found some spare time! And what better to do with spare time than to pick this build up and continue with the last stages to hopefully finish it soon? :) Well, I've moved since last, and I'm now living in a tiny one room apartment (is that what's called a studio?) in a small town 100 km south of where I used to live. Not easy building bikes on the 7:th floor. :( Anyway, this weekend I'll take some time off from my studies and visit my mom, dad and brother and do some work on the bike in my brother's backyard! Fun fun fun!!

Not too much left to do on this build. Just two more pieces to paint, the fork and the frame , and then final assembly. No, wait a minute, I just remember I have to make grips and two straps for the rear light. Anyway, still not much left to do. Here's what I managed to get done today:

Rust!!! :shock: Can't allow that! :D
rostigt1.jpg

rostigt2.jpg

Got rid of most of it with a wire brush for the electric drill. But it took a while and since I began working on it kind of late in the afternoon, this was all I had time for today. Also got cold when the sun started to set.
rengjort3.jpg

rengjort4.jpg

Tomorrow I'll apply some filler to the welded parts and smooth them out. I know, I said I was considering leaving the welds as they were, but I can't help myself! :lol:

That's all for now!
Hope all is well with everybody, and take care until next time!

i was begining to wonder what happen to you! glad to hear your still kickin' an back at it! cant wait to see more of that bike. :D

Back