The Galtbacken 18

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Galtbacken,

Everytime I look at any of your update's on this build, i go quiet for a while and than a big wow come's out of my mouth.
I was trying to save up for a good compliment for when you'd finish it.
But I just could not hold it in anymore.
Its not just that your bikedesign is awesome, your buildingskills and creativity are all from a level a lot of people would be jelous of(me be being one of them).

Very big compliment for you on that NR 18 and very nice paintwork.

@ Stretch, buy a cheap sewing machine that works good enough and practice, and keep this in mind(will make a big difference); try to see the sewingmachine as one of your power tools 8) . its just like a kind of jigsaw going backwards instead of cutting one piece up in 2 parts u put 2 parts together. :lol:

Thank you so much badmuller! I really appreciate it! :D I hope that you and everybody else who like what I do feel inspired to try and realize your ideas and designs! That's how I feel when I see stuff I like, it triggers something in me to try and make the things I can dream up. My thought is that if I can learn and make things I didn't know I could, so can other people, each with their own vision of what they want it to be and how it should look. I'm glad if I'm able share a little spark of that inspiration! Thank you again! :)

So, I haven't come around to making the straps or the handles. I've finished the fork instead. Sanded filler, primed, painted and clearcoated.
mlaram14.jpg

The graphics on the right side of the frame are also coming along, just the outlines left to paint. Should be able to paint that today. :)

Hi my Friend! Bike is looking great, awesome paint job and killer striping!!!
So good to see the bike is getting done, I´m so anxious to see it finished and of course, as I know what is coming, anxious to see the next build :wink:

Oh, Congrats on your maths test result!

Thanks feuerdog! :) And thanks Billy! :) I'm anxious to get it done also! When a bike is almost finished I just want to get it done and move on, I get restless and it feels almost annoying to have to finish the last few bits. :|But I know I'll feel satisfied with it when it's all done and put together!
Oh, I'm afraid you'll have to wait a little bit longer for the bike you're referring to, I'll have to make another bike for a friend first. :wink: A ladies bike as a matter of fact! :D More to come on that later!

Finished the graphics on the right side of the frame:
mlaram15.jpg

I'll have to wait for the weather to change before I can clearcoat it, I'll see what I'll have time to do this weekend. Not too much I'm guessing, 'cause I'm off to play a little music with some friends and will be back on sunday....hm...maybe sunday will be a good day to sit down at the sewing machine and make the straps and handles...we'll see!
All well until then! :D

Galtbacken said:
Oh, I'm afraid you'll have to wait a little bit longer for the bike you're referring to, I'll have to make another bike for a friend first. :wink: A ladies bike as a matter of fact! :D

Well, that means more time for research :wink:

That's an interesting choice of newspaper to put your tank frame on. The bike is sexy. And I, like you, am building a girls bike for a friend. RRB #6 maybe? Girls bikes.

Gdcast said:
Galtbacken said:
Oh, I'm afraid you'll have to wait a little bit longer for the bike you're referring to, I'll have to make another bike for a friend first. :wink: A ladies bike as a matter of fact! :D

Well, that means more time for research :wink:

Yepp! :D

cream corn said:
That's an interesting choice of newspaper to put your tank frame on.

Oops that must look peculiar! :lol: In swedish sex and six are spelled the same, so that headline reads "Six gems in the archipelago". :D
It'll be fun to build a ladiesbike, but I'm afraid I would be disqualified right off the bat if I entered the build-off 'cause I'll completely change the frame structure and weld new tubes to it. I'll make sure to keep an eye on your bike if you enter it though! I'll keep an eye out for it even if you don't enter it in the build-off, by the way...:) Thanks for the kind words!

Thanks man! :D Hehe, I come to think of Wayne's World when Garth plays his drumsolo in the music store and then a guy says something like "you rock" and Garth replies "thank you...I like to play" and gently taps the bell of a cymbal with the drumstick. :lol: So, maybe I should reply: Thank you...I like to build. :D Anyway, I really appreciate that you guys show interrest in what I build, and that you take your time to comment and let me know what you think! Thanks!

Thanks sensor, glad you like the bike! :) And now I really feel I must jump at this opportunity to compliment you on a most excellent choice in colours!! :wink: :lol:

man excellent job! i always watch your posts and is the best! thanks for all the pics. cheers for all your work!

Thanks Leo! :D
Here's what I've done so far today:
Primed, painted and clearcoated the fender struts. Not the best photo, I'm sorry.
mlat28.jpg

What struts is in swedish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhpVgUCH ... re=related

Masked the fenders to paint a gold line and then give the copper parts a satin finish clearcoat.
mlat29.jpg

See what more I'll do today... :)

very nice man, all details are amazin, a very very big inspiration to me. in the south of the world man! jajajaj.

Wow!! :shock: You do some of the most detailed work that I have ever seen!! You my friend have some
amazing talents!! 8) I can not wait to see what you have next. I’m sure it will be something cool!!

Thanks!! :mrgreen:

Thanks guys! I tip my hat and take a bow! :D So nice to hear you like it!

I've painted some goldlines and shot satin finish clearcoat. The front fender almost got messed up! :shock: When I removed the masking tape, the underlying clearcoat, the glossy one, started to lift. So there I was with what looked like a big airbubble reaching from the front of the fender to the drilled holes at about a third of it's length. Yepp, I cursed. :roll: I saw for myself how I would have to sand everything down and start over, but then I noticed that the bubble seemed to stick to the surface when I pressed my thumb on it. With childlike anticipation I opened a new packet of black socks...and that, I admit, must sound like I totally had lost it! But with a new sock on my hand, another weird sounding habit, I managed to rub down almost all of the lifted clearcoat!! :D
A little part of it is still visible as a silvery haze when you look from a certain angle
mlat30.jpg

but I can live with that I guess. I'm just happy I could get most of it down, and from the side it's hardly visible at all!
mlat31.jpg

I was almost ridiculously careful when I removed the tape from the rear feander, and thankfully that went well!
mlat32.jpg

Here's the deorman shot, with a fender over a wheel! :wink:
mlat33.jpg

I've run out of glossy clearcoat, but I've ordered new and hopefully it'll come to the store today and then I'll be able to clearcoat the frame today! We'll see what happens! The sun is shining and all is well! :D

Back