The Fast: A dive into the boardtrack world

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't even realize this was you bike! I love it! Glad you got that engine. with a 3hp that thing is gonna fly!

You have MANY options with that engine as far as clutches go. I'm guessing you have the 5/8" shaft. For the money it's cheaper and better to just run chains. If I had a larger shaft on my engine I would have done that. Belts are a pain. I kind of regret doing it the way I did it.

If I did it again I'd run the centrifugal clutch with a chain on the engine, a 1-to-1 fixed sprocket on the jack shaft, and a second 1-to-1 fixed sprocket going to one of the Chinese sprocket on the rear wheel.

I really love the build man!

Beau said:
I didn't even realize this was you bike! I love it! Glad you got that engine. with a 3hp that thing is gonna fly!

You have MANY options with that engine as far as clutches go. I'm guessing you have the 5/8" shaft. For the money it's cheaper and better to just run chains. If I had a larger shaft on my engine I would have done that. Belts are a pain. I kind of regret doing it the way I did it.

If I did it again I'd run the centrifugal clutch with a chain on the engine, a 1-to-1 fixed sprocket on the jack shaft, and a second 1-to-1 fixed sprocket going to one of the Chinese sprocket on the rear wheel.

I really love the build man!

I can get basically the same clutch but with a sprocket instead of a pulley. What do you think I should use though they sell 11-14 teeth ones.

I'd run the 11 tooth. Then you can just use the cheaper fixed sprocket on the jack shaft to adjust the gearing.

I don't know why photobucket uploads the pictures in reverse order. Anyway here is some progress from this morning. I made a new kickstand. I can't remember what they are called. I had a Raleigh front fork that was bent so I chopped it up and welded some stuff together. Now I just have to think of a cool way to hold it up While I'm riding.

IMG_9041.jpg

IMG_9040.jpg

IMG_9039.jpg

IMG_9036.jpg

IMG_9034.jpg

IMG_9042.jpg

IMG_9029.jpg

IMG_9028.jpg

IMG_9027.jpg

IMG_9026.jpg

IMG_9025.jpg

IMG_9024.jpg

IMG_9023.jpg

Will you widen the crankset to clear the motor? a small 3 jaw puller will pull that pulley off there no problem i do it all the time

I was just going to get rid of the pedals because they would need a lot to clear the flywheel side. Also I used a three arm puller and broke one of the fingers off! That is what you get for using harbor freight tools. But yeah that thing is really rusted on there it's been soaking for a couple of days so I might give it another try.

So, since photobucket makes the pictures backwards I'll start from the end. I was at the store the other day and saw a stainless steel strainer for a buck and a half. I got the idea to use it to make an air cleaner for my motor. I also used a V-8 can and part of the original air filter. I'm going to get some foam tomorrow and put it in as a filter. Also the stand I made this morning wasn't staying up so I needed to make a stop for it. I dug through my parts and found the studs for some crappy cantilever brakes. I threaded the whole and stuck a small bolt in it. Then I bolted that whole part behind the rear axle in the dropout. The really exciting thing I worked on though was the new forks! I got my stringray forks in the mail today and decided to put them on. It was easier than I expected. The stem was a little too long so I made a spacer out of some mountain bike frame that fit it perfectly. I also mounted the speedo on the new forks and had to use the long cable that I had. Since it was so long I remounted the speedo drive so it comes out the bottom to take up cable slack. Anyway here is what you really want... PICTURES!
IMG_9072.jpg

IMG_9071.jpg

IMG_9070.jpg

IMG_9069.jpg

IMG_9068.jpg

IMG_9067.jpg

IMG_9066.jpg

IMG_9065.jpg

IMG_9064.jpg

IMG_9063.jpg

IMG_9062.jpg

IMG_9061.jpg

IMG_9060.jpg

IMG_9059.jpg

IMG_9058.jpg

IMG_9056.jpg

IMG_9055.jpg

IMG_9054.jpg

IMG_9052.jpg

IMG_9051.jpg

IMG_9050.jpg

IMG_9049.jpg

IMG_9048.jpg

IMG_9045.jpg

Went to lowes today to put together a better exhaust for this thing. I got a 1/2" black pipe elbow, a short piece of black pipe, a 1/2" to 3/4" adapter, and a standard lawn mower 3/4" thread muffler. I also got some lag screws so I could bolt my engine down to some wood.
Here are pictures I'll post a video of the motor running later.
IMG_9080.jpg

IMG_9074.jpg

IMG_9075.jpg

IMG_9077.jpg

IMG_9079.jpg

Motopecane said:
like I promised, a video of the motor! The part I cut out was me trying to start this stupid thing about a hundred times...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE2gQkcHNmk

An old trick with 4 stroke mower engines I know of is if it is difficult to start, take the spark plug out and squirt a shot of oil in the hole and put the plug back in and start it. If this works it is an indicator that the compression may be lower than normal due to a worn cylinder, piston, ring, or both. All easily fixable. BTW, sharp motorbike. It will be a looker.

I tweaked with the motor today and it turns out the two mixtures were all off. The thing is hard to start because of that and the choke has to be held shut as of right now I have no pull adjustment for it yet. I adjusted the mixtures today and got it to do a nice really slow ba ba ba ba idle.

Made some progress today. I was delighted when I realized that i had kept the rear dropouts off a childs bmx bike. So I cut the originals off and welded up some track style dropouts. This helps my sweet $8 tire fit and will be safer with a motor on there. I also rigged up a smaller chain ring. i am hoping i can still keep the pedals on this thing but they may have to go eventually.
IMG_9200.jpg

IMG_9198.jpg

IMG_9197.jpg

IMG_9196.jpg

K-dregg said:
You could always try to find a crankset from a kiddies bike, some have really short crankarms :D

Funny story I checked out thrift stores yesterday for a childs bike just for that reason. I was trying to decide if somewhere around $14.99 was worth it. I suppose I could cut up the rest of the bike and use it for something.

Latest posts

Back