The Fast: A dive into the boardtrack world

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the build so far. But I'm going to go way off subject here, what is the white car in the background of a lot of the pics. Looks like a Cortina or something. I'm diggin' it.

haha I believe your talking about my 1972 Datsun 1200.

24947_391912722712_699662712_3897074_5374212_n.jpg

It has had a lot of work done to it so it doesn't look much like a 1200 anymore. I think I have the only one that is a couple inches off the ground in probably all of Washington.

Motopecane said:
haha I believe your talking about my 1972 Datsun 1200.

24947_391912722712_699662712_3897074_5374212_n.jpg

It has had a lot of work done to it so it doesn't look much like a 1200 anymore. I think I have the only one that is a couple inches off the ground in probably all of Washington.

That is one heck of a nice automobile!

haha thanks it's my rat rod car. I need to get some more recent photos of it though I have changed a few things.

I like the old imports like that, cool little ride. Big fan of the 510's and Toyota had a Corona about the same vintage. Is it RWD too? I've owned a number of VWs also; Type I, MK I and MK III.

haha yes it is rear wheel drive I have a vinyl on the back that says I "heart" RWD and a Honda emblem hanging off a tiny noose on the back also.

IMG_8973.jpg

IMG_8982.jpg

IMG_8975.jpg

So I just decided to get off my butt for 5 mins and do some mocking. The first picture is how I had intended to build the bike. After looking at it there is no way a motor is going to fit in there specifically the one I will be using. So I found some pvc real quick and tried something else. Hence the second photo, I think that gives me a good amount of space. The last pic is of the speedo mounted on the bike. I picked up a drive and cable from my LBS and it works great. He has a ton of speedos, drives, and cables! He also thinks all the Schwinn ones are worth about $100 a pop. I just laughed when he said that.

OH! I also forgot to mention I have an OCC fork on it's way for this thing compliments of TheFlyingDingo. I will either just throw it on there or try to modify it into some type of springer front end.

So I got a motor last night. I picked up a reel mower and the things runs but a little rough. You can see the old rusty excuse for a muffler in one of the photos that will be replaced with something else. I also took some simple green to the block to get rid of a lot of grass and bio-mass on the engine. As you can see this motor has no clutch just a pulley tensioner which will be a problem. I'm going to have to figure out a way to work around that.
IMG_8997.jpg

IMG_8996.jpg

IMG_8995.jpg

IMG_8994.jpg

IMG_8993.jpg

IMG_8992.jpg

IMG_8990.jpg

IMG_8989.jpg

IMG_8986.jpg

IMG_8984.jpg

You can use the belt tensioner as the clutch. With the pressure released the belt will slip acting like a clutch. This is how I'm running it on my motorbike, the hand lever will be mounted on the side of the tank. You can probably used part of that jackshaft setup to work out your drive line. If you want a centripetal clutch, you could mount it to a jackshaft. Motor pulley drives the jackshaft pulley, clutch mounts to the jackshaft, chain runs from the clutch to the rear wheel sprocket.

so I am wondering a few things. If I use the belt tensioner as a clutch do you usually just throw it in when you take off or do you gradually ease it on as you give it throttle? I was thinking it would be cool to have the clutch be a foot lever.

Went out to try and mount up the downtube and realized I need some more tubing or a donor bike to cut up. So, instead I decided to work on the seat. I cut off the seat tube and capped it off with a washer that I welded a nut on the underside of. Then I welded part of a seat clamp to the seat stays. The finishing touch was using some of the lawn mower adjusting pieces to mount the seat springs.

IMG_9021.jpg

IMG_9017.jpg

IMG_9016.jpg

IMG_9015.jpg

IMG_9014.jpg

IMG_9013.jpg

IMG_9012.jpg

IMG_9010.jpg

I will be posting a vid in approximately 54min and counting...

The tensioner as a clutch can be somewhat variable if you need it to. How its set up will probably depend on the power of the engine, if the motor bogs down when you engage the clutch you can give it a little slippage to keep the rev's up. I think a motor like that (5hp?) should be able to move itself from a stop pretty well. You could do a foot clutch, that would be pretty simple.

It's a 3hp. After thinking about it I am probably going to use a hand clutch. It will be something along the lines of a wooden handle with a brake lever to lock it completely on and completely off.

so I have been looking into getting one of these.

h1p3.jpg

A centrifugal clutch with pulley.
The only problem is that I can't seem to get the pulley off my motor. I even broke one of my pullers...

K-dregg said:
Thats a nice looking engine..! Are you planning on running 26 inch wheels..? looks like a tight fit..

I would really like to run 24" with fat tires but the problem is the only 24" tires I can find without knobs are $59.99 each!

Back