Peugeot pounder

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here we go: got this thing for a song.

I was originally thinking I’d bomb around on it, but it feels super light and fast.

Gonna scrub this up, put on some fresh rubber, tune it and rip!

As I’m getting older, I may swap out the bars for something more upright and comfortable.

Here’s the starting point;
IMG_9187.jpeg

IMG_9188.jpeg
IMG_9189.jpeg
IMG_9190.jpeg
IMG_9191.jpeg
IMG_9192.jpeg
IMG_9193.jpeg
IMG_9194.jpeg

That bike is a death trap. Simplex plastic derailleurs break and jam freeze the rear wheel or lock up the chain at the front derailleur when they break. Historically they put people in the hospital and even killed some. They broke from the get go, and are more prone to braking with age. This is the main reason the company is now nonexistent. That hollow gooseneck is probably French, smaller diameter than one inch standard, and are notorious for breaking. I have a Peugeot that I put new all steel derailleurs on after I noticed the plastic on the front derailleur cracked. Wow, I wouldn’t ride that without some mods. I took a solid standard one inch gooseneck and turned it down to fit the French steerer inside diameter.

That bike is a death trap. Simplex plastic derailleurs break and jam freeze the rear wheel or lock up the chain at the front derailleur when they break. Historically they put people in the hospital and even killed some. They broke from the get go, and are more prone to braking with age. This is the main reason the company is now nonexistent. That hollow gooseneck is probably French, smaller diameter than one inch standard, and are notorious for breaking. I have a Peugeot that I put new all steel derailleurs on after I noticed the plastic on the front derailleur cracked. Wow, I wouldn’t ride that without some mods. I took a solid standard one inch gooseneck and turned it down to fit the French steerer inside diameter.
Thanks so much for the heads up on this thing!!!!!

I’ll put some mods on it before I flog it!

I didn’t want you getting hurt. It may be somewhat safe for awhile but I wouldn’t trust it.
That’s ok! I really appreciate it! I was going to ride this thing hard and fast as-is. -besides tires.

I’ll still probably keep the thing, but I’ll just use it for bombing around the neighborhood or casual lake rides with the wife!

I was surprised at how Light it is and that messenger seat on there was pretty comfortable!

I was like….. ‘I’ll just put a quick lube and tune on this thing and fly!’

I REALLY appreciate the heads up!

Gee, you didn't mention the stem. Certain french stems had a hacksaw blade cut in the quill for an expander (not a slanted wedge like some stems) with no hole drilled (or molded) for stress relief. Some would crack starting from the end of the hacksaw cut. AVA and Pivo were a couple French stem makers. Pull the stem and look for cracks from the slots upward.

Mafac brakes were famous for squealing due to long and skinny caliper arms. Not much you could do about that other than replace them with another brand. By now the rubber is so hard, they won't grab hard enough to squeal.

By 1976, even the French bike companys got tired of Simplex derailleurs, Mafac brakes and cotter pins. Peugeot, Motobecance and Gitane (the biggest 3 French bike companies) all switched to Japanese parts.

This one time,... I was repairing a French bike with the bad stem. The stem came loose and the owner kept tightening the bolt, over and over. The cheap gas pipe steering tube split open at the seam but the owner kept tightening the stem bolt. It got to the point where the steerer expanded out so much it got stuck in the frame and the owner could not steer the bike. Welll I got stuck with that repair job. New fork, English thread headset, english stem, bars, tape. The repair bill was more than the bike was worth and the owner walked.

Gee, you didn't mention the stem. Certain french stems had a hacksaw blade cut in the quill for an expander (not a slanted wedge like some stems) with no hole drilled (or molded) for stress relief. Some would crack starting from the end of the hacksaw cut. AVA and Pivo were a couple French stem makers. Pull the stem and look for cracks from the slots upward.

Mafac brakes were famous for squealing due to long and skinny caliper arms. Not much you could do about that other than replace them with another brand. By now the rubber is so hard, they won't grab hard enough to squeal.

By 1976, even the French bike companys got tired of Simplex derailleurs, Mafac brakes and cotter pins. Peugeot, Motobecance and Gitane (the biggest 3 French bike companies) all switched to Japanese parts.

This one time,... I was repairing a French bike with the bad stem. The stem came loose and the owner kept tightening the bolt, over and over. The cheap gas pipe steering tube split open at the seam but the owner kept tightening the stem bolt. It got to the point where the steerer expanded out so much it got stuck in the frame and the owner could not steer the bike. Welll I got stuck with that repair job. New fork, English thread headset, english stem, bars, tape. The repair bill was more than the bike was worth and the owner walked.
Read my post again, the problem with the stem was touched on. In the 1960s I had a French bike that I bought at Sears, a big box national chain. It had original decals on it from many countries, including Israel. The frame tubing had smaller diameters than any euro road bike I have owned. I replaced the stem and derailleurs. I used a standard gooseneck and spent a lot of time in our basement slowly filing down a robust standard stem. Cottered cranks. I was really a novice mechanic then. I would take a piece of my firewood, drill a hole in it and, support the crank on the wood with the cotter above the hole and pound them in and out for cleaning. I took it road touring, it was a nice riding bike.

all good advice. I had one of those plastic derailleurs rip off while riding in the 80s when the bike was new.

Well I like it. Just change the sus bits out.

My '82 Pug had a metal Simplex - it worked OK till I broke the tensioner spring (Meathands!). I replaced it with a Suntour for $25. Works great now.

This is the stem that was on it - it's quite a nice solid piece. But yours looks like an older model. Cotter pins etc. Shouldn't be hard to find better components.

Mine has nice Wieman brakes too.

stem.jpg

This one still rolls great and I've made it very comfortable for a tall guy.

pug.jpg

Last edited:
Back