Storage building

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will come down .. and run the bender for ya... we have to make you a wagon, its time to work smart .. not hard :lol:
said the 50 year old.. with the messed up back and neck :roll:

Just think this time next year you'll be building a bigger one to house the new additions to your colection or you could seel some off HINT HINT HINT I still want one of your creations

Henry like they say....Getting old ain't for sissies. This may be my last building build.
At least I hope. My lot is getting filled up. I tore down a 6x8 that was in this spot and this
really is just a larger replacement for it.

Big Kountry there really isn't anything special about my builds. Ask Thatismytruck after he gets his.
He may not want to go to all the trouble of sanding and straightening up that one. :shock: I usually
just throw them away. Its just fun for me to build them. Keeps me busy. I had hoped when I started
doing them that it would make people want to build their own. Well that and a little entertainment factor

It's close to finished framing the walls.

DSCF0002_zpsb3bae26b.jpg

Gonna take up that end of my yard.
DSCF0001_zps017e804b.jpg

WHY ISNT THIS IN THE BUILD SECTION ????? :mrgreen:

thats a cool lookin shed u already have !! nice little add on for, makes for an even beter work space !!! i wish i had my own shed/garage
i have a storage unit with no power ...kinda hard 2 do much in there ...LOL

good luck ....MIKE

Thanks Mike. This is just storage where I have room to build in the other side.
Its a 12x20 and its ok if its not full of bike parts.....In the builds section. Could
have put it in scratch built too. :lol: This 12x8 should hold quite a bit.

Nice work today US. The weather up here is just about perfect. If it makes you feel any better I did some roofing this summer when it was 100 degrees.

I got all my walls finished today as well. Installed one window and the entry door too.

Next up is installing a rim board on a set of posts for my overhang section, then some sheathing, then the rafters, then the roofing.

I know about roofing in the summer. As I have gotten older I pay to have things like that
done.
Well I worked like a dog. Hauled the sheathing around to the back and hung it by myself.Ouch!
I have learned its better to do it by yourself than get you wife to help and then have to listen to
her cry about being sore for a week. So its in pretty good shape. Need to cut one piece in the back 4''
shorter and then cut one for around the door. Then my roof. I'm dreading it.
DSCF0003_zpsf263cea7.jpg

DSCF0002_zps23221cd5.jpg

DSCF0001_zps6fb76297.jpg

Thanks. Not bad for an old man and two days worth of work. The roof will
be pretty high. I'm hoping my 4 bikes I keep in the other shop will hang
from up there and be out of the way. Then I plan on lots of shelves for
all the necessary stuff you can't throw away, and something for my 30
rim collection.

I started my shed last fall, but there was a change in plan so I've only just gotten back to it now. I have to get it done this season because the "tent garage" isn't going to make it another winter! I was lucky enough to get a stack of 2x10Pt from a friends deck to use to build my platform. decked it in plywood left over from my house. I bought some used metal roofing this past spring. I'll either be cutting up some 24' attic trusses to make my rafters or if they sell in the next week I'll be buying 2x8 20's for the roof system. We have several used building material & salvage shops around here so finding inexpensive good used (or someimes new) construction materials is fairly easy. Plus working in construction there is the occasional left over 2x4.

I have a friend who is going to be tearing down his house soon, it's a 50's ranch type thing. I'll be stripping the clapboards for my shed but until then 3/8 advantec will have to do. His siding is really nice, all 1x10 clapboards. Pretty hard to say no to those.

I've got several left over kitchen cabinets to install that didn't fit into my basement shop or the wife's studio and some shelving units i've been saving.

This guy down the street tore up his deck. He had built it out of 12' 2x6's treated.
He pulled all the nails and then asked me if I wanted them. They were in really good shape
so took them. I cut them in half and used them for about 40' of fencing. The little thin 1''
boards have nothing on my fence. You could hit it with a car and it would still be standing.
I love free stuff. It always works so much better.
I'm pretty glad to be getting on with this build. It all working good so far. I should have built
a 20' x 30' metal building 35 years ago and been done with it. Should of always sounds good.

Believe it or not it will probably take all day to build these two stupid roof trusses.
I hate doing them. Seems like they are never easy. :cry: :cry:
DSCF0001_zpsa02e60c1.jpg

Looking good- pink sticks and all.

Some things just take time. I converted the kids wood play structure into a chicken coop and run. I can't believe the how long it took to build a 4 x 6 coop.

The bad part is its pretty hot here and that just adds to the misery.
I'm not sure why but it takes longer to nail pink 2x4's. Seems like I don't
hit the nails as hard or something. :oops: :oops:

Man all day long to build two trusses. These things were a killer. Oh well one step closer.
Still have to cut off the corners, but I'm happy to get this done.

DSCF0002_zps3827994d.jpg

I built my shed last November, took 5 days to build ... just finished painting the door trim yesterday though :lol:

The roof trusses were a pain, I'm just imagining if it would be harder to match an existing roof and it makes my brain hurt.

Yeah when I built my shop I kinda designed the trusses. I ran 6 of the C channels across. I just cut
a slot in the wood and then screwed the channel to them. Then screwed the metal roof to that.
Kinda weird but it worked really good. I think we got some 80 or 90 mph gusts this last hurricane
and it stayed tight as a drum. Its just a pain to hook on to.

DSCF0001_zps57620d31.jpg

Yeah Walker its kinda just a wind deal here. I have seen snow in Houston maybe 6
times in 62 years. Not a big call for it around here.

Back